Thread: Obama administration trying to destroy almost 1 million M1 rifles

Obama administration trying to destroy almost 1 million M1 rifles

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ique-m-rifles/

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America.

The Obama administration approved the sale of the American-made rifles last year. But it reversed course and banned the sale in March a decision that went largely unnoticed at the time but that is now sparking opposition from gun rights advocates.

"We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms."

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Imagine the economic stimulus from the sale of a million M1. Imagine the stimulus from the sale of the ammunition, smithing services, materials. The Obamanation (a personal attack?) shoots itself in the foot again, and again, working higher and higher.

Imagine the blood running like rivers in the streets from a million more guns!!! AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! The TERROR!!!!!
    Last edited by Thos.Jefferson; 09-01-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Quote Originally Posted by Thos.Jefferson View Post
    Imagine the blood running like rivers in the streets from a million more guns!!! AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! The TERROR!!!!!
    Yes.....gangbangers using M1 Garands for driveby shootings. Oh the Horror!

/sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
    Yes.....gangbangers using M1 Garands for driveby shootings. Oh the Horror!

/sarcasm.
    THAT would be an awesome driveby! I doubt most criminals could properly load and ready an M1. I do hope they let the Koreans sell those rifles to us. I'd love for that many to hit the market and drop the price of them; maybe then I could afford one!

Even a non functional one would be neat if you were a collector. Shame to let that much history and possible money go to waste.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html

Apparently, Faux Newz misreported the number. A google search shows several sources showing the number to be closer to just over 100,000 of these rifles.

Banned
    Can't be true. President Obama is pro-gun. He told us so.

I_Have_a_Small_One
    Good that makes my Pristine M1 worth more. Just like crushing old classic cars. Obummers cash for clunckers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html

Apparently, [Fox News] misreported the number. A google search shows several sources showing the number to be closer to just over 100,000 of these rifles.
    Reread your own linked article. It says "hundreds of thousands." The 800,000+ figure cited by Fox News qualifies for both "nearly a million" and "hundreds of thousands."

A total of 86,000 M1 rifles and another 22,000 carbines were to be sold,
    From the Korean article.

Get Them NOW!!

This is EXACTLY why I ordered a surplus M1 Garand, a rifle I have always wanted, from the CMP the day after the November '08 elections.

Clinton did the same thing.

Order an M1 from the CMP before Obama discovers their surplus sales program!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    From the Korean article.
    So, your article says both "hundreds of thousands" and 86,000 + 22,000 (which doesn't even come close to "hundreds of thousands"--and, to you, this inconsistent article is proof that the Fox News figures are wrong?????

OK.

Moving on.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/obama...an-made-rifles

the Obama administration has blocked efforts by the South Korean government to sell over a hundred thousand surplus M1 Garand and Carbine rifles into the United States market.
    email from the NRA

Sent an e-mail to NRA asking what was their response has been concerning the blocking by the state department. Just received this from them-

"The Obama administration has blocked an application by U.S. firearms importers to bring home over 100,000 M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines. Although at first the State Department granted its approval for these guns to be returned to the U.S. from Korea, that permission was later revoked.

These firearms are totally legal to import. Replica M1 carbines are currently made in the U.S., and replica Garands have been made in the U.S. recently as well. But for many years, the State Department has defied the law (including a congressional appropriations amendment backed by the NRA) by using various excuses to prevent importation of these guns.

The NRA has worked with importers for more than 10 years to ensure that these historic firearms can be sold to U.S. shooters through commercial channels, and will continue to support their lawful importation."

Best regards,
    Miranda Bond
    NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
    www.nraila.org
    The only references I can find about the 1 million number are from the Fox News article I had originally linked in the first post. A google search brings up the number 100,000 many more times. I have found that this has been going on for quite some time.