• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama administration trying to destroy almost 1 million M1 rifles

flb_78

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...everses-course-forbids-sale-antique-m-rifles/

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America.

The Obama administration approved the sale of the American-made rifles last year. But it reversed course and banned the sale in March – a decision that went largely unnoticed at the time but that is now sparking opposition from gun rights advocates.

"We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms."

Daylen

Yes.....gangbangers using M1 Garands for driveby shootings. Oh the Horror!

/sarcasm.

THAT would be an awesome driveby! I doubt most criminals could properly load and ready an M1. I do hope they let the Koreans sell those rifles to us. I'd love for that many to hit the market and drop the price of them; maybe then I could afford one!

I

I_Have_a_Small_One

Good that makes my Pristine M1 worth more. Just like crushing old classic cars. Obummers cash for clunckers.

eye95

Don Barnett

Get Them NOW!!

This is EXACTLY why I ordered a surplus M1 Garand, a rifle I have always wanted, from the CMP the day after the November '08 elections.

Clinton did the same thing.

Order an M1 from the CMP before Obama discovers their surplus sales program!!

eye95

From the Korean article.

So, your article says both "hundreds of thousands" and 86,000 + 22,000 (which doesn't even come close to "hundreds of thousands"--and, to you, this inconsistent article is proof that the Fox News figures are wrong?????

OK.

Moving on.

flb_78

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/obama-bans-more-than-100-000-american-made-rifles

the Obama administration has blocked efforts by the South Korean government to sell over a hundred thousand surplus M1 Garand and Carbine rifles into the United States market.

email from the NRA

Sent an e-mail to NRA asking what was their response has been concerning the blocking by the state department. Just received this from them-

"The Obama administration has blocked an application by U.S. firearms importers to bring home over 100,000 M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines. Although at first the State Department granted its approval for these guns to be returned to the U.S. from Korea, that permission was later revoked.

These firearms are totally legal to import. Replica M1 carbines are currently made in the U.S., and replica Garands have been made in the U.S. recently as well. But for many years, the State Department has defied the law (including a congressional appropriations amendment backed by the NRA) by using various excuses to prevent importation of these guns.

The NRA has worked with importers for more than 10 years to ensure that these historic firearms can be sold to U.S. shooters through commercial channels, and will continue to support their lawful importation."

Best regards,
Miranda Bond
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
www.nraila.org

The only references I can find about the 1 million number are from the Fox News article I had originally linked in the first post. A google search brings up the number 100,000 many more times. I have found that this has been going on for quite some time.