• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Second Amendment Rights Are Suspended

cricketdad

EVERY resident of NC who owns a firearm--whether they carry or not--should call the Governor, AG, and their State Representatives ASAP, and voice their displeasure with this anti-gun provision of the NC State of Emergency statute...

If you don't know who your State Rep and State Senator are, go to this website, and look them up, then call them:

http://www.ncleg.net/

Let them know that you think that it's silly that the perceived possibility of some foul weather make it illegal for you to take your lawfully-owned firearms off your own property--for ANY reason--under North Carolina General Statutes § 14-288.7.

Let them know that The Second Amendment Foundation is ALREADY pursuing a lawsuit to get this law revoked.

And let them know that unless they do everything they can to remove this silly statute from the books in NC, you will work to send them to the unemployment office next election...

GRNC does some GREAT work, but the real power is in the hands of the PEOPLE. If they get a few hundred calls in Raleigh tomorrow, maybe things might get changed before SAF and Alan Gura are forced to add NC to their list of states they had to give a judicial smack-down...

I see one thing wrong with your statement and that is the word UNLESS. WE need to throw the bums out in November regardless of what they do.

This election is extremely important. The party in power in January 2011 will redraw the voting districts. We could have another ten years of even more bullet proof dems.

Anyone that wants to help make a change, go to www.grnc.org and donate to the Remember In November project. Volunteer to help out. There are 29 districts that we want to target. It takes money and volunteers.

Just realized I missed something else. The only way this will be changed before next year is for the Governor to call an emergency session of the House and Senate. Anyone here think that is going to happen?

Last edited:

jkeith

Let's see...dove season starts Saturday. How many hunters are going to be out buying shotgun shells today and tomorrow in preparation for opening day? Better alert the police that there are going to be a lot of law breakers out there...could be mass arrests...wouldn't that be a lovely site to illustrate the idiocy of this law.

Northerner

Gun Show scheduled this weekend too

S&D Gun Show scheduled in Wilmington this weekend (9/4-5) at the National Guard Armory. If the SoE is still in effect wouldn't it have to be cancelled?

Earl should be well clear on NC by then, but how long does the SoE need to last for the State to get Federal FEMA $$$....that is one of the reasons it was declared, besides mobilization of other resources.

jgwerd

man

man this sucks. My new pistol is due to arrive at the FFL today for pickup. Looks like I'll have to wait, dammit.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Calibers is open

I just called Calibers Indoor Range in Greensboro to see if they were going to be open for the next couple days (I was hoping to shoot tomorrow). Manny answered the phone & said that they are open (I could hear gunshots in the background). When I explained to him why I was inquiring, in relation to the declared "state of emergency", and I told him that technically everyone at the range technically could be charged with a class 1 misdemeanor, he said that the statute in question does not apply to gun owners unless it is a "specific" emergency in our area.

He didn't seem too bothered by this. Granted, I'm glad that the range is staying open, but I was disappointed at what I perceived as a lack of outrage or lack of concern about this immoral law that could have very bad consequences for gun owners (if the justice system ever decided to 'throw the book' at us). He seemed to write it off as if it doesn't really apply.

jgwerd

Its not even going to rain away from the coast. This is not a STATE of emergency. More like outer banks of emergency.

nobama

We need another "restore the constitution rally" right in front of the Gov. home. This law is total BS! I will still carry and will still dove hunt.

jkeith

I just called Calibers Indoor Range in Greensboro to see if they were going to be open for the next couple days (I was hoping to shoot tomorrow). Manny answered the phone & said that they are open (I could hear gunshots in the background). When I explained to him why I was inquiring, in relation to the declared "state of emergency", and I told him that technically everyone at the range technically could be charged with a class 1 misdemeanor, he said that the statute in question does not apply to gun owners unless it is a "specific" emergency in our area.

Sorry, but technically Manny is incorrect. Now, has this law ever been enforced...doubtful. In fact, I doubt if many LEO even know this law exists. But the wording is very clear...in a state of emergency guns cannot be taken off property. The current state of emergency, if you read it, covers the entire state. It was not a select-county state of emergency, which it should have been, but a statewide state of emergency.

That being said, I would not hesitate to carry on as usual and ignore the law.

cricketdad

Sorry, but technically Manny is incorrect. Now, has this law ever been enforced...doubtful. In fact, I doubt if many LEO even know this law exists. But the wording is very clear...in a state of emergency guns cannot be taken off property. The current state of emergency, if you read it, covers the entire state. It was not a select-county state of emergency, which it should have been, but a statewide state of emergency.

That being said, I would not hesitate to carry on as usual and ignore the law.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it has been enforced. I believe one of the plaintiffs in the law suit about this law was a "victim"

calynn

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Dove Season Opens as Scheduled on Sept. 4

RALEIGH, N.C. (Sept. 2) – Despite North Carolina’s current state of emergency, dove season will open as scheduled at noon on Sept. 4.

After Gov. Perdue declared a state of emergency on Wednesday due to the impending arrival of Hurricane Earl, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission received numerous calls from the public asking if dove hunting will be allowed beginning this weekend. The Governor’s Office has informed the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission that nothing in the current emergency declaration, Executive Order 62, invokes any provision of law that would prohibit lawful hunting activities, including transporting a firearm to and from a hunting location (subject to local emergency ordinances to the contrary). Hunters in coastal areas should stay tuned to local media for the latest updates on Hurricane Earl and related emergency conditions that could affect the safety of themselves or others.

For more information on hunting, visit www.ncwildlife.org.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
The sins of omission....

The broad fails to mention anything about lawful carry of a handgun for personal protection. So apparently if you are a hunter transporting/carrying a shotgun you're cool, but if you have a handgun then you're lawbreaking scum & will be punished accordingly. She needs to get her head out of her ass. :banghead:

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
The broad fails to mention anything about lawful carry of a handgun for personal protection. So apparently if you are a hunter transporting/carrying a shotgun you're cool, but if you have a handgun then you're lawbreaking scum & will be punished accordingly. She needs to get her head out of her ass. :banghead:

or keep it up there. Methane has Zero parts Oxygen.

Dreamer

I spend the 2 hours I had between classes this afternoon on my cell phone calling state and local officials, local gun stores, and ranges to try ad get a read on this whole SoE thing. Here is my report...

State Representative Arthur Williams:
His staffer didn't even know this law existed, and said she would bring it to his attention, as he is VERY pro-2A. She couldn't believe that such a provision even existed in NC Statute...

State Senator Marc Basnight:
my call was sent to voicemail, and was not returned...

Pitt County Sheriff: Spoke with a deputy who is head of Enforcement, and he didn't even know that a state-wide SoE put the carry/possession ban into effect. He said that he didn't know about this law, and didn't think any LEO in Pitt County or Greenville would cite a lawful gun owner who might be caught incidentally transporting or carrying a firearm in an otherwise lawful manner, even if what I told him about §14-228.7 was correct...

Beaufort County Sheriff: Got voicemail. Did not return my call.

State Attorney General: Told me that I needed to contact the Governors office, because they had their own internal legal council to field quesitions regarding Executive Orders. Essentially, they blew me off...

Governors Office:
Got sent to voicemail. Never returned my call.

Docs Gun and Pawn in Greenville:
Never heard of this law, and were planning to be open and selling guns all weekend.

Hunters Point Sporting Clays Range (Washington):
Never heard of this law, and were planning to be open all weekend, weather permitting.

Paradise Hunting Preserve and Range (Grimesland): Never heard of this law, and were planning to be open all weekend, weather permitting.

So the basic read I take away from this is that:

1) local LEAs don't even know this law existed (which I find a little hard to believe considering the King fiasco last winter that was all over the local, state, and even NATIONAL news).

2) Ranges and gun stores don't know this law exists, and planned to be open and doing business even though everyone who takes advantage of their services will be breaking the law.

3) The State AG either doesn't want to answer (due to the SAF lawsuit) or is afraid to give an opinion on an Executive Order, and gave me a "non-answer"...

4) the Governor's Office is either too buried in phone calls to answer, or is just blowing me off because they don't want to address how silly, illegal, and immoral this law is.

So I'm going to be carrying on my road-trip this weekend. I'm drive out to Winston Salem, and then on northward through VA, ultimately to MD for the weekend. (of course, I'll be stopping on the VA side of the "moat", and doing the "border dance" prior to crossing into the PRM...)

If I run into any issues in NC, I probably won't post here, because I will be contacting the SAF and requesting to join their lawsuit.

Carry on, fellow "tarheels". A little civil disobedience is DEFINITELY in order on this one, ESPECIALLY since it looks like Hurricane Earl is going to be a non-event for the VAST majority of the state.

I hope Bev Perdue (and her entire administration) have plenty of nice luggage, because if I have anything to do with it, they are ALL going to be sent packing in 2 years...

Last edited:

chiefjason

Don't shoot the messenger on this one. NCWRC got a lot of complaints and had to make a statement. That press release was because of calls to NCWRC in response to the SOE and the Dove opener. This had nothing to do with the Gov, other than NCWRC having to call them and get clarification. I got this email when I complained about it.

Norman Young of the Attorney General's office has examined the state of emergency declaration, the statutes involved and has consulted with his counterparts in the Attorney General's criminal section. As a result of Norman's research, he finds that during this state of emergency there is no legal impediment to hunting.

Dale Caveny
NCWRC
Division of Law Enforcement
1717 MSC
Raleigh, NC 27699
Office 919-707-0032

I'm in total agreement with your sentiment's. Just wanting to aim your anger at the right target.

Dreamer, one of the guys over at CSF got through to the Gov's office and was told that this SOE did not affect carrying firearms. I wish I had it in writing. But I talked to him on the phone this evening and trust what he says is true. Take that for what you paid for it. And yes, it flies in the face of the letter of the law. The law needs to change.

cricketdad

Don't shoot the messenger on this one. NCWRC got a lot of complaints and had to make a statement. That press release was because of calls to NCWRC in response to the SOE and the Dove opener. This had nothing to do with the Gov, other than NCWRC having to call them and get clarification. I got this email when I complained about it.

Norman Young of the Attorney General's office has examined the state of emergency declaration, the statutes involved and has consulted with his counterparts in the Attorney General's criminal section. As a result of Norman's research, he finds that during this state of emergency there is no legal impediment to hunting.

Dale Caveny
NCWRC
Division of Law Enforcement
1717 MSC
Raleigh, NC 27699
Office 919-707-0032

I'm in total agreement with your sentiment's. Just wanting to aim your anger at the right target.

Dreamer, one of the guys over at CSF got through to the Gov's office and was told that this SOE did not affect carrying firearms. I wish I had it in writing. But I talked to him on the phone this evening and trust what he says is true. Take that for what you paid for it. And yes, it flies in the face of the letter of the law. The law needs to change.

On the way to work and don't have time for a long explanation. Read NCGS 14-288.7. She cannot change the law. They choose not to enforce it because some important Dems brought pressure so they could hunt. The buddy system at work.

We just happen to be able to join in on the privileges of the rich and powerful this time.

Law needs to be changed.

bwhunter65

How can the gov just come out and say that YOU CAN STILL GO DOVE HUNT Since when does she have the power to amend laws at her whim. so she just told every hunter to break the law and we will not do anything about it.

Last edited: