Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke my hand need ideas on carrying.....

Broke my hand need ideas on carrying.....

Long story short I broke the bone behind the knuckle on my strong hand. Since I can't carry a thing on my strong side, what suggestions do you folks have?

Pics avail: http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/m1gunr/hand/

You're probably going to have to spring for a left hand holster to carry in until you heal up. Unless you know someone who has one that will fit your gun that you can borrow for a while.
    Last edited by j2l3; 09-01-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Put lots of magnets in your cast.

what a bad break!

http://www.safeway.com/ifl/grocery/C...very#iframetop

https://quikorder.pizzahut.com/phord...dex.php?#login

http://www.superpages.com/bp/US/Secu...2169138517.htm

http://seattlelxlimo.com/?gclid=CO3Y...FSL6iAodw0GY2Q

http://www.centralprotection.com/

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-offhand.html

Or maybe something with just a lot less kick....

http://emtoast.com/?p=873

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Long story short I broke the bone behind the knuckle on my strong hand. Since I can't carry a thing on my strong side, what suggestions do you folks have?

Last edited by jt59; 09-01-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

69Charger
    Keep a friend with ya.
    Or just be careful and stuff er down the front of your pants.(time to CC) Using your gun UNLOADED, practice your draw.
    By the way. You may need to practice shooting with your new good hand, a little. Or a lot.
    Dave

Broke my left hand (I'm a leftie) a few years ago skiing...came back to classes the next quarter and it was the perfect chance to work out trying to write with my right hand. Hand was sore as a SOB after three written exams in a day though! Anyways, looks like a good excuse to try and get your weak-side draws down. How'd it happen by the way?

That's just what you get for shooting that monster 45-70 revolver (and not taking me along)

Seriously, how'd you do that??
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Seriously, how'd you do that??
    lets just say my bones are not what they use to be and leave it at that....

I can draw and shoot off-handed, the big issue is not being able to work the slide on the 1911.

Revolver carry

I would say revolver carry for a few weeks.

I can draw and shoot off-handed, the big issue is not being able to work the slide on the 1911.
    Live Free or Die!

Here are a couple of videos showing a one handed reload, I have not tried them but see if this might fit your situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzG3D...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcdDLGngnY
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Duct Tape

There are a bunch of "drills" that are designed to prepare one for this type of event.

To work the slide of a semi, one-handed, they show you how to use the front of the front sight against something like a table edge, your belt, gripping it between your knees, etc. This is an opportunity for you to practice your "injured shooter" survival skills.

Might also make a case to add a revolver to your arsenal/wardrobe.

Everyone in here should learn how to manipulate and operate your defensive weapons with one hand, and practice with your reaction hand too. It's unfortunate that you broke your hand M1Gunr, and I hope the recovery is quick, but you've got to adapt and overcome in the meantime. I'd recommend watching some training videos to learn the techniques. Magpul Dynamics' Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD set has a fair introduction, and is a good start.

For operating the slide something like this might work - take a bicycle glove and sew a wide strip of velcro on the palm heel. Then put another strip of sticky back velcro on top of the slide. Rack the slide with the heel of your "weak" hand.

No idea if this would actually work... it just popped into my head for some reason.

I dont have much to offer here that hasnt been posted alrady. Except to say that I wish you the best and a speedy and complete recovery.

I am not too sure about the velcro, it sounds like a good idea in theory. Although I am not too sure if the velcro would be strong enough to rack the slide, yet weak enough to realease when you wanted it to....
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Second revolver carry...

I think I'd second the motion on revolver carry. a good 357 or +p .38 would be a reliable defense arm. Don't wanna chew up the slide with funky one handed slide techniques. The revolver is easy and natural to use one handed, and i bet you could open , load, close with your broken hand without much discomfort.

- I hope your OK, and get well soon.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

+1 for the revolver carry.

Racking the slide with your boot is silly. The wheel gun doesn't need to be bounced off of your Converses.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    . Don't wanna chew up the slide with funky one handed slide techniques.
    There is a technique that is simple and doesn't chew up the slide. I know because I just practiced it before starting this post.

With your pistol (mine is a Sig P-228) in your left hand (assuming the right is injured) manipulate it so you are now gripping the slide from the top between thumb/palm on one side and fingers on other. Place grip inside right elbow. Cycle slide. If necessary you can grip pistol between right forearm and body in order to then re-grip pistol for shooting.

For those that are uninjured at this time and want to prepare for the worst, practice this with an Ace Bandage wrapped around yor strong side hand. Make a fist first so you have no fingers or thumb available for help. Be sure to make the pistol safe first and then practice regularly. It might come in handy.
    Last edited by amlevin; 09-02-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Sorry to hear about your hand. I know all too well. Just a couple of hours ago the pins were removed from mine. Looks like it's the same fracture. As a matter of fact, the PA mentioned that he'd seen 3 or 4 of the same very recently. Injury 6 weeks ago, pins in 5 weeks ago. It's not been fun. Feels a bit better with the steel out, and hope for more swelling to abate soon so I can gain range of motion. PT starts promptly. Best of luck to you getting healed up.

Carry is not easy. I change up my carry for the summertime anyway, so that was a benefit in this case. Hot weather & shorts with large cargo pockets & mod 36. Cooler temps & pants, move the Kramer belt holster to weak side & draw mod 19/k backwards. Not perfect but not too bad for a temp situation. Left handed leather would have been even better. Not great with my weak side, so loaded down to 38 spl. in the 19. (edit - both S&W wheelguns) Try to stay sharp 'cause I know I'm not at, or near, my best.

Again, hope your recovery goes well.
    Last edited by DSRTRCR; 09-02-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: clarity

One armed man

This is a good discussion for me for another reason.....My BIL is interested in getting involved in handgunning, but lost his arm in a industrial accident above the elbow....he likes the auto's but all the exercises that we have tried to work through for reloading, chambering, dealing with jams, etc....really, all lead him toward some kind of a double action revolver and a modified belt device (to be built or discovered) to park it while he dumps the spent shells and uses some kind of speed loader set-up....

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll put him on this thread.

jt
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Next time, don't punch a door.... Oh wait... That was me...

Same thing, 5th metacarpal broken.

*Edit* Correction, don't punch a door INCORRECTLY!...

Your hand will be back to normal in 3 months, or maybe a little longer. You will be able to do most things after about 1 month.

The common name for this injury is Boxer's fracture, more or less, only inexperienced boxers receive this injury. Professionals know how to hit things correctly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer%27s_fracture
    Last edited by swatspyder; 09-02-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Heh,
    Why does this whole thread bring to mind one-armed Clyde Ledbetter and his three guns?

Rather than worry about trying to reload a six-gun with only one hand in a gun figfht he simply carried three guns ( a Remington 1875 and a coupla Colt SAAs )
    As far as how to manage the thumbuster with only one hand, in the movie he even unloads, then reloads his '75.
    JT59, tell yer bro to watch The Unforgiven! Consider it a training film...

You don't need no fancy "belt device" to hold the gun for ye while you thumb fresh fodder into your shooter, just sit down and hold the gun between yer legs. Or kneel down and squeeze the gun with one folded leg.
    Heck, in a gunfight you'd better be getting down behind cover anyway! Especially if the shooting has gone on long enough fer ye t' be reloading! What, you wanna stand up and make a target of yerself?

Naturally, this works pretty durn good with a proper single action thumb buster because you just put the gun at half **** and open the little loading gate, The gun indexes one chamber at a time in line with the loading gate, just thumb a round in, give the cylinder one click around, thumb another cartridge in and so forth.
    Now I do recomend a modern version of Colt's fine old SAA, one with a transfer bar. That way you just fill up all six holes and don't have to worry about the 'ol " load one, skip one, load four" and bring the hammer down on an empty chamber, which can get awkward if you ain't been doing it fer the last two decades as I have been a-doin'.
    Anyhow, when the gun is full-up, you snap the gate closed and away you go. No need to rack the slide or swing-flip a cylinder back into place.

Another advantage of the six-gun is how slow they shoot.
    Huh? I hear ye saying - How can that be an advantage?
    Well, because it teaches you to shoot Deliberatly! This is real important if you only got one hand and can't reload fast, and can't even take a two handed hold on a pistol. You gotta make yer shots count, and it is truly hard to imagine any scrap a feller can't get himself out of with five or six properly applied doses of .357, .45 Colt, .44 special, .44-40, or my personal favorite, .44 magnum.
    ( Six-guns do tend to come in pretty durn potent calibrations, don't they? Consider it another advantage of the breed )
    Again, the movie The Unforgiven empasises this very point . Remember when Sheriff Hackman says - "Look son, being a good shot and quick with a pistol donít do no harm but it donít mean much next to being cool headed. A man who will keep his head, not get rattled under fire, like as not will kill you."
    Only a movie sure, but true words none the less.

Yet one final advantage of the six-shooter for your bro, they were designed and intended for one handed use! None of that fancy two-hands-holding-yer-hogleg back in the day! Yer second hand held the reins of yer horse, or your saber maybe if you was cavalry, or even a second gun! The slim, trim grip of the old Colt 1851 Navy cap and ball gun is the very same grip used on the Colt SAA and many of it's clones. It will fit and feel perfectly natural in any hand, is comfortable to use with just one hand, and the gun will point like it's one of your own fingers. Some modern "handguns" really do seem intended for use with two hands, the grip is so thick and blocky.

Now if I broke my right hand and had to shoot left-handedly while healin' up I'd just keep on using the same hogleg as I'm always OCing these days, my Uberti .44 mag, and the very same holster, a sorta slim-jim-pancake thing I made myself.
    How woud I manage that? Simple. I'd wear the gun on my left side with the butt facing forward and run with a left-hand cavalry draw!
    It's perfectly safe, provided you don't **** the hammer as you draw, and certainly fast enough.

For those not familar with what the heck I'm talking about, back in the day the cavalry wore their issue cap and ball revolvers on their right side with the butt of the gun facing forward. The idea was to stick the reins in yer teeth, draw the saber at yer left hip with yer right hand, cross draw the revolver with yer left hand and CHARGE!
    Or something like that. The strongside-butt-forward carry did allow a feller to draw the pistol easily with the right or left hand, as needed. It sounds funny and complicated but is actually pretty durn easy an natural once a feller gets used to it, and was probably handy in a melee on horseback.
    Just don't **** the gun untill it's out in front of you!

Just reload before the gun's empty, then you won't have to rack the slide. Duh :P

Revolver or hi-cap 9mm.

Wheelgun time! Surely you own one or more DA revolvers?
    And, while it's awkward, you can mount a holster crossdraw and get to it with your weak hand. It won't be fast, but you weren't gonna be fast weakhanded anyway.
    I've had a broken finger a couple times. In 3 weeks or a month it will be well enough to rack a slide again. It won't be 100%, but will do for small jobs.

Funny,

One of my favorite movies...I'll put it in the netflix que.

Quote Originally Posted by EtdBob View Post
    Heh,
    Why does this whole thread bring to mind one-armed Clyde Ledbetter and his three guns?

Rather than worry about trying to reload a six-gun with only one hand in a gun figfht he simply carried three guns ( a Remington 1875 and a coupla Colt SAAs )
    As far as how to manage the thumbuster with only one hand, in the movie he even unloads, then reloads his '75.
    JT59, tell yer bro to watch The Unforgiven! Consider it a training film...

You don't need no fancy "belt device" to hold the gun for ye while you thumb fresh fodder into your shooter, just sit down and hold the gun between yer legs. Or kneel down and squeeze the gun with one folded leg.
    I am not sure what the ettiquette is at the range for this leg thingy procedure...
    Last edited by jt59; 09-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast