• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Broke my hand need ideas on carrying.....

j2l3

You're probably going to have to spring for a left hand holster to carry in until you heal up. Unless you know someone who has one that will fit your gun that you can borrow for a while.

Last edited:

69Charger

Keep a friend with ya. :)
Or just be careful and stuff er down the front of your pants.(time to CC) Using your gun UNLOADED, practice your draw.
By the way. You may need to practice shooting with your new good hand, a little. Or a lot.
Dave

skiingislife725

Broke my left hand (I'm a leftie) a few years ago skiing...came back to classes the next quarter and it was the perfect chance to work out trying to write with my right hand. Hand was sore as a SOB after three written exams in a day though! Anyways, looks like a good excuse to try and get your weak-side draws down. How'd it happen by the way?

Metalhead47

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Seriously, how'd you do that?? :shocker:
lets just say my bones are not what they use to be and leave it at that....

I can draw and shoot off-handed, the big issue is not being able to work the slide on the 1911.

amlevin

lets just say my bones are not what they use to be and leave it at that....

I can draw and shoot off-handed, the big issue is not being able to work the slide on the 1911.

There are a bunch of "drills" that are designed to prepare one for this type of event.

To work the slide of a semi, one-handed, they show you how to use the front of the front sight against something like a table edge, your belt, gripping it between your knees, etc. This is an opportunity for you to practice your "injured shooter" survival skills.

Might also make a case to add a revolver to your arsenal/wardrobe.

k.rollin

Everyone in here should learn how to manipulate and operate your defensive weapons with one hand, and practice with your reaction hand too. It's unfortunate that you broke your hand M1Gunr, and I hope the recovery is quick, but you've got to adapt and overcome in the meantime. I'd recommend watching some training videos to learn the techniques. Magpul Dynamics' Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD set has a fair introduction, and is a good start.

fight4your_rights

For operating the slide something like this might work - take a bicycle glove and sew a wide strip of velcro on the palm heel. Then put another strip of sticky back velcro on top of the slide. Rack the slide with the heel of your "weak" hand.

No idea if this would actually work... it just popped into my head for some reason.

devildoc5

I dont have much to offer here that hasnt been posted alrady. Except to say that I wish you the best and a speedy and complete recovery.

I am not too sure about the velcro, it sounds like a good idea in theory. Although I am not too sure if the velcro would be strong enough to rack the slide, yet weak enough to realease when you wanted it to....

Batousaii

Second revolver carry...

I think I'd second the motion on revolver carry. a good 357 or +p .38 would be a reliable defense arm. Don't wanna chew up the slide with funky one handed slide techniques. The revolver is easy and natural to use one handed, and i bet you could open , load, close with your broken hand without much discomfort.

- I hope your OK, and get well soon.

amlevin

. Don't wanna chew up the slide with funky one handed slide techniques.

There is a technique that is simple and doesn't chew up the slide. I know because I just practiced it before starting this post.

With your pistol (mine is a Sig P-228) in your left hand (assuming the right is injured) manipulate it so you are now gripping the slide from the top between thumb/palm on one side and fingers on other. Place grip inside right elbow. Cycle slide. If necessary you can grip pistol between right forearm and body in order to then re-grip pistol for shooting.

For those that are uninjured at this time and want to prepare for the worst, practice this with an Ace Bandage wrapped around yor strong side hand. Make a fist first so you have no fingers or thumb available for help. Be sure to make the pistol safe first and then practice regularly. It might come in handy.

Last edited:

DSRTRCR

Sorry to hear about your hand. I know all too well. Just a couple of hours ago the pins were removed from mine. Looks like it's the same fracture. As a matter of fact, the PA mentioned that he'd seen 3 or 4 of the same very recently. Injury 6 weeks ago, pins in 5 weeks ago. It's not been fun. Feels a bit better with the steel out, and hope for more swelling to abate soon so I can gain range of motion. PT starts promptly. Best of luck to you getting healed up.

Carry is not easy. I change up my carry for the summertime anyway, so that was a benefit in this case. Hot weather & shorts with large cargo pockets & mod 36. Cooler temps & pants, move the Kramer belt holster to weak side & draw mod 19/k backwards. Not perfect but not too bad for a temp situation. Left handed leather would have been even better. Not great with my weak side, so loaded down to 38 spl. in the 19. (edit - both S&W wheelguns) Try to stay sharp 'cause I know I'm not at, or near, my best.

Again, hope your recovery goes well.

Last edited:

jt59

One armed man

This is a good discussion for me for another reason.....My BIL is interested in getting involved in handgunning, but lost his arm in a industrial accident above the elbow....he likes the auto's but all the exercises that we have tried to work through for reloading, chambering, dealing with jams, etc....really, all lead him toward some kind of a double action revolver and a modified belt device (to be built or discovered) to park it while he dumps the spent shells and uses some kind of speed loader set-up....

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll put him on this thread.

jt