• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Broke my hand need ideas on carrying.....

swatspyder

Long story short I broke the bone behind the knuckle on my strong hand. Since I can't carry a thing on my strong side, what suggestions do you folks have?

Pics avail: http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/m1gunr/hand/

Next time, don't punch a door.... Oh wait... That was me... :banghead:

Same thing, 5th metacarpal broken.

*Edit* Correction, don't punch a door INCORRECTLY!...

Your hand will be back to normal in 3 months, or maybe a little longer. You will be able to do most things after about 1 month.

The common name for this injury is Boxer's fracture, more or less, only inexperienced boxers receive this injury. Professionals know how to hit things correctly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer's_fracture

Last edited:

EtdBob

Heh,
Why does this whole thread bring to mind one-armed Clyde Ledbetter and his three guns?

Rather than worry about trying to reload a six-gun with only one hand in a gun figfht he simply carried three guns ( a Remington 1875 and a coupla Colt SAAs )
As far as how to manage the thumbuster with only one hand, in the movie he even unloads, then reloads his '75.
JT59, tell yer bro to watch The Unforgiven! Consider it a training film...

You don't need no fancy "belt device" to hold the gun for ye while you thumb fresh fodder into your shooter, just sit down and hold the gun between yer legs. Or kneel down and squeeze the gun with one folded leg.
Heck, in a gunfight you'd better be getting down behind cover anyway! Especially if the shooting has gone on long enough fer ye t' be reloading! What, you wanna stand up and make a target of yerself?

Naturally, this works pretty durn good with a proper single action thumb buster because you just put the gun at half **** and open the little loading gate, The gun indexes one chamber at a time in line with the loading gate, just thumb a round in, give the cylinder one click around, thumb another cartridge in and so forth.
Now I do recomend a modern version of Colt's fine old SAA, one with a transfer bar. That way you just fill up all six holes and don't have to worry about the 'ol " load one, skip one, load four" and bring the hammer down on an empty chamber, which can get awkward if you ain't been doing it fer the last two decades as I have been a-doin'.
Anyhow, when the gun is full-up, you snap the gate closed and away you go. No need to rack the slide or swing-flip a cylinder back into place.

Another advantage of the six-gun is how slow they shoot.
Huh? I hear ye saying - How can that be an advantage?
Well, because it teaches you to shoot Deliberatly! This is real important if you only got one hand and can't reload fast, and can't even take a two handed hold on a pistol. You gotta make yer shots count, and it is truly hard to imagine any scrap a feller can't get himself out of with five or six properly applied doses of .357, .45 Colt, .44 special, .44-40, or my personal favorite, .44 magnum.
( Six-guns do tend to come in pretty durn potent calibrations, don't they? Consider it another advantage of the breed )
Again, the movie The Unforgiven empasises this very point . Remember when Sheriff Hackman says - "Look son, being a good shot and quick with a pistol don’t do no harm but it don’t mean much next to being cool headed. A man who will keep his head, not get rattled under fire, like as not will kill you."
Only a movie sure, but true words none the less.

Yet one final advantage of the six-shooter for your bro, they were designed and intended for one handed use! None of that fancy two-hands-holding-yer-hogleg back in the day! Yer second hand held the reins of yer horse, or your saber maybe if you was cavalry, or even a second gun! The slim, trim grip of the old Colt 1851 Navy cap and ball gun is the very same grip used on the Colt SAA and many of it's clones. It will fit and feel perfectly natural in any hand, is comfortable to use with just one hand, and the gun will point like it's one of your own fingers. Some modern "handguns" really do seem intended for use with two hands, the grip is so thick and blocky.

Now if I broke my right hand and had to shoot left-handedly while healin' up I'd just keep on using the same hogleg as I'm always OCing these days, my Uberti .44 mag, and the very same holster, a sorta slim-jim-pancake thing I made myself.
How woud I manage that? Simple. I'd wear the gun on my left side with the butt facing forward and run with a left-hand cavalry draw!
It's perfectly safe, provided you don't **** the hammer as you draw, and certainly fast enough.

For those not familar with what the heck I'm talking about, back in the day the cavalry wore their issue cap and ball revolvers on their right side with the butt of the gun facing forward. The idea was to stick the reins in yer teeth, draw the saber at yer left hip with yer right hand, cross draw the revolver with yer left hand and CHARGE!
Or something like that. The strongside-butt-forward carry did allow a feller to draw the pistol easily with the right or left hand, as needed. It sounds funny and complicated but is actually pretty durn easy an natural once a feller gets used to it, and was probably handy in a melee on horseback.
Just don't **** the gun untill it's out in front of you!

Hammer

Wheelgun time! Surely you own one or more DA revolvers?
And, while it's awkward, you can mount a holster crossdraw and get to it with your weak hand. It won't be fast, but you weren't gonna be fast weakhanded anyway.
I've had a broken finger a couple times. In 3 weeks or a month it will be well enough to rack a slide again. It won't be 100%, but will do for small jobs.

jt59

Funny,

One of my favorite movies...I'll put it in the netflix que. :D

Heh,
Why does this whole thread bring to mind one-armed Clyde Ledbetter and his three guns?

Rather than worry about trying to reload a six-gun with only one hand in a gun figfht he simply carried three guns ( a Remington 1875 and a coupla Colt SAAs )
As far as how to manage the thumbuster with only one hand, in the movie he even unloads, then reloads his '75.
JT59, tell yer bro to watch The Unforgiven! Consider it a training film...

You don't need no fancy "belt device" to hold the gun for ye while you thumb fresh fodder into your shooter, just sit down and hold the gun between yer legs. Or kneel down and squeeze the gun with one folded leg.

I am not sure what the ettiquette is at the range for this leg thingy procedure...

Last edited:

devildoc5

I am surprised no one posted this yet as it seems obvious, although nigh impossible...

Dont get in a situation where you need to RELOAD your weapon, sure we can try and say dont get in a situation where you wont need it, however there is always that "one time" just make your shots count.

You carrying a 1911 you SHOULD have AT LEAST 8 rounds of 45,,,,

amlevin

devildoc5;1346313 [FONT=Century Gothic said:
You carrying a 1911 you SHOULD have AT LEAST 8 rounds of 45,,,,[/FONT]

Why so few? My CZ75 SP-01 carries 20 (19+1) without having to use one of those "stick" mags. Even my "compact" Sig P-229 carries 14 (13+1).

.45ACPaddy

In most situations, 1 2 or 3 shots will like be all that's fired. For me, I carry two spare mags because the mag is the most likely part of a semi auto to fail or create some sort of disturbance in the normal operation of the firearm. It's sounding like a revolver is the best bet in this predicament. Can you work a speedloader with your broken hand? If so, I'd say to carry a .38 spl with +P ammo or a .357, both with a couple of speedloaders.

And of course, practice drawing and shooting with the weak hand. This is a great opportunity to get it up to speed!

amlevin

Because with .45ACP you need less bullets to convince the bad guy he's dead :p

If that were true, then the guy who tried to steal a motorbike from the floor of the Schucks in Tacoma (72nd and Portland) should have been dead several times over. He was shot by an armed customer after he drew his gun and hit 7 times. The customer was shooting a .45 and emptied it into the gunman. He was taken to the hospital with "Non Life Threatening injuries".

So much for the one shot dead .45 myth.

Metalhead47

If that were true, then the guy who tried to steal a motorbike from the floor of the Schucks in Tacoma (72nd and Portland) should have been dead several times over. He was shot by an armed customer after he drew his gun and hit 7 times. The customer was shooting a .45 and emptied it into the gunman. He was taken to the hospital with "Non Life Threatening injuries".

So much for the one shot dead .45 myth.

Sounds like the guy was just a bad shot. Would it make you feel better if the perp was shot 15 or 16 times with a 9mm before he stopped?:p

amlevin

Hey I was just making an off-hand witty remark. Y'all are the one who took it personally. Pthbthbthb. :p

I'll see your "Pthbthbthb. :p" and raise you with a
2.gif