• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry gun ownership

sonoran_Tj

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to purchasing your carry gun from a dealer rather than a private party? In terms of what happens to you and your gun after a self defense shooting, is a gun that is on the books somewhere in your name better than one that isn't?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Assuming the defense of oneself is ruled justifiable, I don't see where there would be any difference. It's quite possible the question could come up, but if someone has been put in a position where they must respond with deadly force, that is going to be the premiere concern more than the gun itself, I should think. You can bet that the police will take control of the gun and keep if for a period as it would be evidence. So it might be prudent to have another gun just like it that you could continue to carry until you get the other one back.

You question raises another question I have thought about from time to time. I hope you don't think I am hyjacking your thread, but it is related to your topic somewhat.

If someone is involved in a self-defense shooting and it is pretty clear to the police that the victim acted properly, can that victim continue to carry a gun while things work through the legal system? This could easily be a period when the victim's life is in danger from friends and family of the BG so his being able to go armed could mean the difference between living or dying. Does anyone know anything about this? Would the police or county prosecutor require the victim to suspend his right to carry until he is found to have acted in accordance with the law... the assumption, of course is that he had not been arrested or formally charged.

Last edited:

PT111

Assuming the defense of oneself is ruled justifiable, I don't see where there would be any difference. It's quite possible the question could come up, but if someone has been put in a position where they must respond with deadly force, that is going to be the premiere concern more than the gun itself, I should think. You can bet that the police will take control of the gun and keep if for a period as it would be evidence. So it might be prudent to have another gun just like it that you could continue to carry until you get the other one back.

You question raises another question I have thought about from time to time. I hope you don't think I am hyjacking your thread, but it is related to your topic somewhat.

If someone is involved in a self-defense shooting and it is pretty clear to the police that the victim acted properly, can that victim continue to carry a gun while things work through the legal system? This could easily be a period when the victim's life is in danger from friends and family of the BG so his being able to go armed could mean the difference between living or dying. Does anyone know anything about this? Would the police or county prosecutor require the victim to suspend his right to carry until he is found to have acted in accordance with the law... the assumption, of course is that he had not been arrested or formally charged.

It depends on a lot of things but a good example is the Jesus Gonzales situation where he was carrying after being charged and the prosecutor went back to the judge to stop him from being able to. If you have not been formally charged with a crime after a shooting there is nothing to stop you other than they may be holding your gun but you can carry another one. Once you are formally charged and out on bail then it will depend completely on the restrictions set down by the judge. Until you are formally charged and a hearing held then you are just another citizen.

mosinnagant

if you buy private party no tax or brady and its a good throw away gun if you have to take care of business