• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger Old Model Blackhawk v. New Model .357

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
Found a 1972 Old Model, good function, average wear marks, for $450. Could get a brand new Blackhawk for the same price. The Old Model has been converted, but has the original parts, box, and papers. This is going to be a working gun, mainly for hunting and woods walking. I'm leaning towards the Old Model for the collectors value and smaller frame, but am I getting ripped on the price?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I received a Ruger Blackhawk .357 6 1\2" revolver for a Christmas present in 1968. I wish I had never traded that gun. I loved the three screw click-click-clock action on that gun. I even killed a deer with it with one of my handloads. It was $92 new so if it is in good condition, $450 doesn't sound too high to me.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Found a 1972 Old Model, good function, average wear marks, for $450. Could get a brand new Blackhawk for the same price. The Old Model has been converted, but has the original parts, box, and papers. This is going to be a working gun, mainly for hunting and woods walking. I'm leaning towards the Old Model for the collectors value and smaller frame, but am I getting ripped on the price?

Be a friend, post up a pic. Many of those 1970's production pistols are disappearing and reappearing again and again. One never knows year to year if they'll be available and if so what they will cost.

I am on #3 of my Dan Wesson 1970's revolver collection. So far I'm pleased with the quality and how resilient they have been for 40 years. (sheesh I'm old!) They just don't make them like that any longer and many certainly don't hold up like those do.

That said, if you want a warranty then go for the new pistola. If you don't care about warranty and the classic is in good enough condition to be a working pistol, then go for the classic. Feel them out and see, you might discover a nuance with one or the other that catches your attention.

tcmech

I have an older unconverted 3 screw 357 4 5/8 barrel and the 9mm conversion cylinder. I also have a new model blackhawk 44 mag (50th anniversary of the 44 mag model).

The old 3 screw has a much better trigger than the new model blackhawk. That being said I don't know that I would buy the used blackhawk if it was going to be a working gun and collector value was something I was worried about.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I compared the old model to a new model in the store. I don't like the new model's larger frame, but I do like the all steel construction. The old model I'm looking at has large flakes of bluing coming off of the aluminum alloy ejector rod housing and grip. However, it does have a much better trigger. I'm still on the fence:|