• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 09-01-10: Gov. Perdue's Order Suspends Rights of NC Gun Owners

Dreamer

Like I said, I called the AG today, and they refused to offer an opinion. They told me I needed to call the Goveernors office with questions regarding Executive Orders.

Essentially, the AG doesn't want to touch this one, is the impression I got. They don't want to step on the Governor's toes, they don't want to step on the Governor's Council's toes, and anyway, they are probably not talking due to the current SAF lawsuit regarding this very statute...

They essentially blew me off with a non-answer.

lonewolf2810

Well if they want to be A-holes about it they can make it hard on you. This was an official e-mail from the NCWC so I am printing it off just in case. This State of Emergency should be lifted this afternoon as the storm has gotten weaker and moving out.

Dreamer

I called the Governor's office again this morning, and said I had a question about EO-62. The lady who took the call answered, "is this about trailers or firearms?"...

Apparently they are getting a LOT of calls about §14-288.7. Good job folks!

"Shout out" to NC Gun Owners!

She transferred me to the Governor's General Council, and I landed in voicemail again. I left another message, and I am awaiting a return call...

Dreamer

UPDATE:

I just spoke with the Governor's Chief Council, and he informed me that this particular Executive Order (EO-62) was actually invoked under Chapter 166-A of the North Carolina Emergency Management Act, which DOES NOT automatically invoke §14-288.7.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_166a.html

He also said they have send briefings to all local and state LEAs letting them know that this EO does not effect the prohibition on firearms...

So apparently there are two different set of rules under which EOs may invoke a State of Emergency--one that does put §14-288.7 into effect, and one that doesn't. And this one is the kind that doesn't. Apparently, they learned their lesson with the King Fiasco last winter...

He also told me that they had been getting a TON of calls on this matter, and would be looking into changing the State of Emergency statute in the upcoming Legislative Session in January.

Of course, Mr Gura and SAF might force them to change this silly, racist, Jim Crow law in the Courts before they can do it in the General Assembly. We shall see. Will the "Wheels of Justice" turn more quickly than the "Wheels of Legislature"?

Personally, I'd rather see BOTH things happen. I'd like to see the Gura/SAF case win first, and then the GA vote to strike this provision from the NCGC. This would be an EPIC WIN for not just NC residents, but EVERYONE in the country, because it would get this silly law off our books, AND it would establish case-law precedent for other states in similar situations to refer to.

S, don't worry folks. Transporting, carrying, and possessing firearms while you are out and about in NC is PERFECTLY legal and lawful under this EO.

But there is always next time. :banghead:

Stay vigilant...

Last edited:

mekender

166-A does not mention anything about firearms. If this law is one they will not enforce this time, it needs to go. If this law is one they will never enforce, it needs to go as well.

One day, there might be a governor that will enforce it.