• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Contact With Salinas Police Department

OPS MARINE

This evening, on the way to do some shopping, I saw a woman alone in a vehicle on the side of the road with her flashers on. I also saw what we would consider a "non-desireable" on a bicycle trying to talk to her. She waved her hand to tell him to go away. I made a U-turn to see if he'd gone, and he had not. I pulled over and exited the vehicle. He rode away.

Upon making contact with the woman, I learned she had car trouble. She explained that her son was en route from another city, and she was going to call AAA. She told me that the man on the bike was the second to stop by. She said she was glad to see me.

Being alone on a Salinas street is not the most desireable of positions, so I took it upon myself to call the Police. Here's the conversation:

"Salinas Police Dispatch, may I help you?"

"Yes. I'm out with a white Nissan Altima, P L A T E #, on N. Main. There is a single female in the vehicle, and it is immobile on the side of the road. She is on the phone with AAA now, but it's dark and she's alone. Are you able to send a unit or an SRO to
standby with her until help arrives?"

The calltaker verified my position and then asked for my name and any associated vehicles. I gave him the info, and I added..."The incoming Officer should know that I am armed."

"Okay, sir, I'll let them know. Who are you with?"

"I am a former Peace Officer and am unaffiliated at the moment."

"Thank you, sir. I will put it out."

I waited about 15 minutes and her son arrived just 10 seconds before the Officer.
Officer Diaz stepped out of his car and walked up to me directly. He said "I didn't get info on a black car." (The son was driving it)

I told him it just arrived. He smiled and said "Okay" while shaking my hand. He said then, "If you've got somewhere to be, you can clear, man. Thank you for waiting with her."

She in turn thanked me and her son followed up with what seemed like a heartfelt thank you for watching his mom. I got into the vehicle and left.

Thus ends the notion that Salinas Police Department will shoot an armed person on sight. Salinas Police Department has once again proven its professionalism.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I think that the circumstances dictated that you inform dispatch of your armed state. I'm not sure if things would have played out precisely the same if you hadnt played the 'former peace officer' card. Good encounter though.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Great encounter! Giving a heads up regarding your armed status was definitely the right thing to do here. Once again Ops Marine is all over California, causing nothing but good.

Livermoron

Great Job Ops Marine!

Good to call out your condition to dispatch as well on this one. I am sure that the lady and her son were quite grateful. I hope that if my wife is caught in similar circumstances that someone with honor and good sense, such as yourself, will be around to keep a watchful eye out.

Carry On,

Livermoron

OPS MARINE

I think that the circumstances dictated that you inform dispatch of your armed state. I'm not sure if things would have played out precisely the same if you hadnt played the 'former peace officer' card. Good encounter though.
Well, I don't know if that would have been the case, but I try to think and see my way around corners before I get to them. What I didn't mention in the post was that since I still speak the language, the calltaker was probably at ease. That is going to change everything when the call is broadcast. Beyond that, we of course know it went to every LEO in the area that an MWAG was out with a stranded motorist. They could have sent 3 or 4 officers to that call, and didn't, even though we've had a rough couple of weeks here.

I think you're correct that the situation dictated I inform of my armed state as it was already dark out. I was wearing black pants and a navy blue polo. The firearm probably would not have been readily noticeable besides the low glare of oncoming headlights bouncing off the Kydex. That would frighten a person who's ready to do evil, and perhaps unnerve a person (LEO) who thought he might be walking into an ambush. I am not a small man, and if it's necessary to make myself appear less threatening, that's a call I have to make at the appropriate time.

Now if there were BG's hanging around, this may have turned out differently...

Oh, and read this: http://news.salinaspd.com/

OPS MARINE

Great Job Ops Marine!

Good to call out your condition to dispatch as well on this one. I am sure that the lady and her son were quite grateful. I hope that if my wife is caught in similar circumstances that someone with honor and good sense, such as yourself, will be around to keep a watchful eye out.

Carry On,

Livermoron
Even if it's not me, I hope someone keeps her safe until you arrive. Unarmed women need protection. Armed ones need backup. Just one Marine's opinion.

OPS MARINE

Great encounter! Giving a heads up regarding your armed status was definitely the right thing to do here. Once again Ops Marine is all over California, causing nothing but good.
It WAS a great encounter, and I can't help but continue smiling about it. Especially now, thinking about how it could have all been different if the bill had been passed, or if the police weren't as informed as they are on OC lately. This, coupled with my Las Vegas experiences as of late have really got me thinking on the possibilities of us carrying loaded within the next few years or so.

coolusername2007

So let me get this straight...a woman who is all alone has car trouble, help is on the way but there is still some time before they arrive. A man or two stop to supposedly help, one is on a bike. She is somewhat afraid due to its getting dark and its a rough area.

Then a large black man with a holstered gun walks up to see if she's OK and she is glad to see you?!

Wait a minute...this is unbelievable...are you sure this story is true...are you sure you did not make up this story...because by all accounts those in the anti-violence movements, and we-know-better-than-you political establishments have told us all that the general public is very much afraid of guns being openly carried, in public, for, you know, law-abiding purposes, much less those carried by large, and certainly intimidating, black men! Fiction, pure fiction. Tell us the truth, on mere sight of your presence she screamed a blood curdling scream like in the movie Pyscho, right? :rolleyes:

OPS MARINE

Then a large black man with a holstered gun walks up to see if she's OK and she is glad to see you?!
See? Even YOU said it...HOLSTERED GUN. Criminals don't even know which holsters to get their guns, let alone have the common sense to do so. Maybe it helped that I flashed my Streamlight (shameless plug) at her before approaching. Maybe it helped that I had a woman in the truck with me (although she didn't know that right away). Maybe it's because I made no attempt to hide the gun. Perhaps that was the tell.

Now that you mention it, "glad" sounds a little far fetched, especially to the control-mongers. But I sweeear those were her words. She didn't say "relieved," she said "glad." I will testify to that...

She probably said it thinking I was an Off-duty LEO. Believe it or not even with an air of sarcasm, that just crossed my mind.

Iopencarry

Ops,

While some are making lite of the anti's, and lets face it it IS easy to make lite of them, the true facts remain. You may have saved that ladies life. Another true story of Armed Self Defense that will not be counted by the other side.

also, just like myself and some others here have been saying all along. If you make the first call, make the first move, in keeping the flow of info to the LOE's, Be Respectful of them, Treat them and the situation with all due respect, MOST of all LEO's will return that respect.

Good Job, Thank YOU

OPS MARINE

Ops,

While some are making lite of the anti's, and lets face it it IS easy to make lite of them, the true facts remain. You may have saved that ladies life. Another true story of Armed Self Defense that will not be counted by the other side.

Also, just like myself and some others here have been saying all along. If you make the first call, make the first move, in keeping the flow of info to the LOE's, Be Respectful of them, Treat them and the situation with all due respect, MOST of all LEO's will return that respect.

Good Job, Thank YOU
No, thank YOU for standing behind what I think was the right decision, and thank YOU for all you do for OC as well.