• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Authority

Chkultr

Just heard this over my scanner...

Dispatch " bus driver said a black male has a black gun in a holster and wants him checked out"
Officer " en route"
Dispatcher" OC is not a crime so if he does not want to talk to you that is his right, if HRT has a policy against OC it is unconstitutional. Once again OC is not a crime!"
Officer " 10-4 thanks"

6:48 am in Norfolk!

Sounds like one person might have it right in that city!

architect

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the settlements that Norfolk has paid in the past few years have some correlation with the dispatcher's knowledge. Perhaps some city council meetings as well.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the settlements that Norfolk has paid in the past few years have some correlation with the dispatcher's knowledge. Perhaps some city council meetings as well.

Glad to know you have that high a level of confidence. Unfortunately, there have been other incidences in Norfolk where folks did not learn from history.

Ys, I'm heartened to know one dispatcher took it upon themself to go beyond their written job description and try to keep the cops from committing a faux pax.

stay safe.

TFred

Just heard this over my scanner...

Dispatch " bus driver said a black male has a black gun in a holster and wants him checked out"
Officer " en route"
Dispatcher" OC is not a crime so if he does not want to talk to you that is his right, if HRT has a policy against OC it is unconstitutional. Once again OC is not a crime!"
Officer " 10-4 thanks"

6:48 am in Norfolk!

Sounds like one person might have it right in that city!
While this was a good outcome, this particular (bolded) statement is probably not quite right, or if so, it just recently became right.

I suspect that the Preemption law is the real reason any firearm bans by HRT would not be legal. Not until the recent McDonald case could it be safely said that a local government ban would be unconstitutional.

Small distinction, but a fairly important one.

Somehow I doubt the dispatcher is all up to date on the McDonald case and its implications.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
TFred -

Youaretechnicallycorrect.jpg

But either way, the dispatcher was trying to prevent the commission of stupid in public. For that he/she deserves to be commended.

stay safe.

Last edited: