• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flynn wants to let retired police officers carry guns, Vilmetti MJS

qball54208

I spoke to a retired GBPD officer in Best Buy the other day and he informed me that he was required to be certified annually and pay 100.00 in order to carry concealed.
If that is any indication as to what it could cost us, annual cert and a C note, I'm on board!
Not that I believe in Mandatory certification, however some kind of "Active Shooter" scenario coupled with a type of "How to Respond" would be more appropriate.
Until you have been in a training environment, actively engaged, under stress and let's throw a "malfunction" into the scene. DBL feed, jamb, mis-feed, no fire and so forth.
All the reading and video watching in the world will give you a platform to start, but 99% of us do not have access to a Facility to perform these fluid or dynamic movements.
This is just my humble opinion.
I know there are those of you out there that resist this opinion, that's cool too, I respect that! However those of "us" that have had Training know what I'm talking about. It has served to keep some of us alive and able to come home, in one piece!
A Tactical Mind is a Sound Mind!

paul@paul-fisher.com

I spoke to a retired GBPD officer in Best Buy the other day and he informed me that he was required to be certified annually and pay 100.00 in order to carry concealed.
If that is any indication as to what it could cost us, annual cert and a C note, I'm on board!
Not that I believe in Mandatory certification, however some kind of "Active Shooter" scenario coupled with a type of "How to Respond" would be more appropriate.
Until you have been in a training environment, actively engaged, under stress and let's throw a "malfunction" into the scene. DBL feed, jamb, mis-feed, no fire and so forth.
All the reading and video watching in the world will give you a platform to start, but 99% of us do not have access to a Facility to perform these fluid or dynamic movements.
I know there are those of you out there that resist this opinion, that's cool too, I respect that! However those of "us" that have had Training know what I'm talking about. It has served to keep some of us alive and able to come home, in one piece!

I understand what you are saying but I don't pay or have to be trained to OC, what does covering my weapon with my shirt do that makes it necessary to pay for a permit or get training?

M

McX

flynn want to let retired cops carry guns...............because they are just so much better than the rest of us.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
Wheres the puking icon when ya need it?

Well............... the rift between the rights of the common man and that of the supreme government powers continues to grow.......

anmut

The issue has always been:
- CC through permits and taxes = OK?
then...
- Firearm purchases through permits and taxes
- Ammunition purchases through permits and taxes
- Firearm accessories through permits and taxes

Ultimate goal of government = to modify the law enough that only the very rich and motivated will have enough to "pay for their right."

Ultimate goal for Anmut = to not lose any more Constitutional Rights via Pay To Play Government models and to free up current rights by voting in like-minded officials.

M

McX

the concept is insulting to me; they are now retired common citizens, and have no police authority, yet they are elevated above me in rights. sounds like the makings of a lawsuit.

anmut

the concept is insulting to me; they are now retired common citizens, and have no police authority, yet they are elevated above me in rights. sounds like the makings of a lawsuit.

Not only retired but elderly in some cases... Same goes with driving privileges - watch your local police reports and you'll see what I see, young AND old people smashing into things with their vehicles. But who takes the brunt of the insurance hit? Young people. Because who controls the insurance prices? Old people!

I'm way past being taxed for being young (32) but I still think this is a travesty.

littlewolf

flynn want to let retired cops carry guns...............because they are just so much better than the rest of us.

Not only that but how many people did they PO in the 30 .years they were on the force? but I think they should carry open like the rest of us until we get cc. I'm retired military,small arms instuctor,I don't get to cc .I'm just a nobody like they are.

range rat

WISCONSIN CHIEFS OF POLICE ASSOCIATION
LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE ANNUAL REPORT
2005-2006 Legislative Session
August 10, 2006
Chief Ed Kondracki
WCPA President
La Crosse Police Department
400 La Crosse Street
La Crosse, WI 54601
Dear Chief Kondracki:
The WCPA Legislative Committee experienced an up and down year. The session was not as
hectic as usual for the second year of a Legislative Session, and legislators seemed to focus on a
small select number of topics such as TABOR, Concealed Carry, Defining Marriage, etc. The
committee addressed several issues of state-wide concern to both our membership and the
residents of our individual jurisdictions. The committee reviewed many Senate and Assembly
Bills which would have a direct impact on the law enforcement community. The following is a
brief list of the more significant issues that the Legislative Committee tracked on behalf of the
WCPA membership.
Primary Legislative Proposals Reviewed by the Legislative Committee from August
2005 to August 2006.
The Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety Act – HR 218
As chair of the Legislative Committee, I continue to spend a great deal of time on this particular
issue. This federal law passed several years ago and was so poorly written that it has been
extremely difficult for police agencies across the country to implement the law in its current
version. We continue to receive correspondence from many retired and former law enforcement
officers demanding an answer for what they view as our association stone walling the
implementation of the Federal Law in Wisconsin. I have met with representatives from the
Attorney General’s Office, grass roots groups, and Legislators to explore options for
implementation. The most expedient method of implementing the federal law would have been
for the legislature to embrace the Attorney General’s recommendations to change state law giving
the Training and Standards Board the authority to create a uniform firearms qualification standard
for former and retired police officers who wish to qualify to carry a concealed weapon. As I have
reported on several occasions, nothing will proceed on implementing this law until the legislature
decides to stop playing political football with the issue and stop laying the blame on law
enforcement’s door step.
Chief Ed Kondracki
Page 2
We continue to work with stakeholders on this issue to find a reasonable solution while protecting
our membership and the public who we have taken an oath to protect.
“The Personal Protection Act” Assembly Bill 763 – Senate Bill 403 (Concealed Carry)
This proposal which has been introduced in various versions for the past five consecutive
Legislative Sessions is related to permitting state residents and licensed permit holders from other
states to carry concealed weapons in our state ending a 144 year public policy prohibiting
concealed weapons from being carried in our state.
Assembly Bill 763 and Senate Bill 403 passed both houses. Governor Jim Doyle vetoed the bill
and the Assembly was not able to override the Governor’s Veto. This has been the result for the
past two legislative sessions.
Wisconsin is now one of two states which do not have a Concealed Carry Law. Illinois is the
other state.
During this year’s legislative session, the primary legislative authors of this bill have announced
their plans to release a new version during next year’s legislative session. They have indicated
that their new version of the bill will have fewer restrictions than the version vetoed by the
Governor this year. I believeWisconsin will be the battle ground state for the NRA on this issue
because they feel Wisconsin is more vulnerable than Illinois.
A lot will depend on the outcome of the Gubernatorial Election in November. If Governor Doyle
is returned to office, it will be difficult for the Republican controlled legislature to override his
veto on this legislative proposal. If Mark Green wins the Governor’s Office, he has already
indicated that he will sign a concealed carry bill if it makes it to his desk.
Our association participated with the Wave (Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort) organization in an
effort to ensure this proposed legislation did not pass. In May Governor Doyle commended
WAVE for efforts in making Wisconsin a safer place to live.

paul@paul-fisher.com

So.... The short interpretation of this is we want to be able to get a cc permit but we don't want the public to have the same right.

I love hypocrisy.

J.Gleason

Banned

That is not the requirement for a retired LEO to CCW. They are covrered under LEOSA and while they have to pay for the training refresher course through the department they retired from or any other qualified instructor that is the only cost. The ID is issued either through the former department or the AG's office. There are no other costs for the ID or permit if you want to call it that.

LEOSA also covers active Police Officers and Corrections Officers

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Preemption is for legislators and jurists, not for cops and robbers.

The same "preemption" as of local ordinances by the state, not up to us but to obey our wives, our municipality ordinances, our county ordinances, State law, Federal law, natural law and God's law.

The law abides only the law abiding. It doesn't say the law abides only the federal law-abiding or natural law-abiding. It doesn't say "render unto Ceasar" only what he personally demands, you gotta render unto the tax collector too, and to your landlord and to your wife.