• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flynn wants to let retired police officers carry guns, Vilmetti MJS

Thundar

LEOSA is Unconstitutional

Under what part of the constitution does the US Congress have the authority to grant retired law enforcement officers immunity from state law?

Don't bash me - I think that everyone should be able to carry openly or concealed in any part of these States united without the permission of any level of government, but I am not talking constitutional carry I am talking about a federal mandate that permits retired LEOs to commit what is a felony in some juristictions based on a federal get out of jail free card.

J.Gleason

Banned
Under what part of the constitution does the US Congress have the authority to grant retired law enforcement officers immunity from state law?

Don't bash me - I think that everyone should be able to carry openly or concealed in any part of these States united without the permission of any level of government, but I am not talking constitutional carry I am talking about a federal mandate that permits retired LEOs to commit what is a felony in some juristictions based on a federal get out of jail free card.

Well hopefully if more and more states adopt Constitutional Carry no one will need LEOSA and it will become a thing of the past. We all have a right to be able to protect ourselves it is just a shame that these underhanded legislators can't see that.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
WISCONSIN CHIEFS OF POLICE ASSOCIATION
LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE ANNUAL REPORT
2005-2006 Legislative Session
August 10, 2006
Chief Ed Kondracki
WCPA President
La Crosse Police Department
400 La Crosse Street
La Crosse, WI 54601
Dear Chief Kondracki:

The Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety Act – HR 218
"...... We continue to receive correspondence from many retired and former law enforcement
officers demanding an answer for what they view as our association stone walling the
implementation of the Federal Law in Wisconsin..."

“The Personal Protection Act” Assembly Bill 763 – Senate Bill 403 (Concealed Carry)
This proposal which has been introduced in various versions for the past five consecutive
Legislative Sessions is related to permitting state residents and licensed permit holders from other
states to carry concealed weapons in our state........
concealed weapons from being carried in our state.
Assembly Bill 763 and Senate Bill 403 passed both houses. Governor Jim Doyle vetoed the bill
and the Assembly was not able to override the Governor’s Veto. This has been the result for the
past two legislative sessions.....

Wisconsin is now one of two states which do not have a Concealed Carry Law. Illinois is the
other state.
---------

Our association participated with the Wave (Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort) organization in an
effort to ensure this proposed legislation did not pass. In May Governor Doyle commended
WAVE for efforts in making Wisconsin a safer place to live.

Appears that WAVE (actually a front organization for Chicago's Joyce Foundation) has the Wisconsin Police Chiefs Association in its well funded pocket. Are your tax dollars being used to pay your local police chief's membership in an organization that lobbies against your constitutional rights? Is your local police chief in support of the Association's lobbying in a close patnership with WAVE?

protias

Wow, that are some pretty bad comments in that article.

The Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort told 12 News "Based on the evidence, we don't think there are benefits. However, we recognize that retired police officers have a different level of training and accountability, and that brings us some comfort."

Wait, they don't think there are any benefits but they are "qualified enough" to be able to protect themselves? What about us "regular folk?"

The officers would have to take a refresher firearms course, qualify on the range and pay a $100 annual fee.

Wow, sounds fantastic! They get to pay to protect themselves. I sure hope Constitutional Carry comes to WI, then they won't have to pay for the right to protect themselves (just like everyone else).

xenophon

It's not right that one "class" of citizens gets "rights" aka "exemptions" not afforded to the rest of us. Just recognize the existing right, and none of this "he gets it, but not you" nonsense.

Here's to Nov 2nd...........................

LOERetired

Hr 218

You are correct Paul, they are protected under the federal law HR 218 LEOSA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

I also have copies of the congressional hearings as well. I have done extensive study on this subject.

I have the authority under HR 218 to carry concealed in all 50 states, it cost me $30.00 for the qualification. I still open carry to promote it, I'm no different than anyone here, or any better, I just happen to have worked as a Correctional Officer in a Federal Prison which is the only reason I can carry concealed now. I purchased a under arm holster and tried to carry concealed, but wow it’s so uncomfortable, and it makes me look fatter, lol so, I'd rather open carry.

What I do like though, is I don't have to put my firearm in a case anymore when I get into my car, when I am in the car wearing my firearm, its falls under HR 218, concealed, and when I step out, I’m open carrying, so, I'm waiting and wondering how LE is going to act when they see me get in or out of my car wearing my firearm, that will be an interesting encounter when that day comes.

Don

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

The same authority that allows you to possess an unloaded handgun in a container in your trunk while transporting your guns through places where it's illegal, such as New York State or New Jersey.

J.Gleason

Banned
I have the authority under HR 218 to carry concealed in all 50 states, it cost me $30.00 for the qualification. I still open carry to promote it, I'm no different than anyone here, or any better, I just happen to have worked as a Correctional Officer in a Federal Prison which is the only reason I can carry concealed now. I purchased a under arm holster and tried to carry concealed, but wow it’s so uncomfortable, and it makes me look fatter, lol so, I'd rather open carry.

What I do like though, is I don't have to put my firearm in a case anymore when I get into my car, when I am in the car wearing my firearm, its falls under HR 218, concealed, and when I step out, I’m open carrying, so, I'm waiting and wondering how LE is going to act when they see me get in or out of my car wearing my firearm, that will be an interesting encounter when that day comes.

Don

+1000 Don!
I am a State Corrections Officer and I have been arguing this for a long time now. There have been many of us that have been stopped and their firearms taken and then given back without charges.
I have done extensive research on this. I have a ton of information that proves that Corrections Officers were in fact included in Congresses definition of a Law Enforcement Officer. Let me know if you ever need anything.

Woodchuck

I was in Madison when he testified in front of the State Senate Judiciary Committee about this. This prick also testified to make in a felony for a 1st offense of concealed carry in WI. I spoke with a few other retired police that were testifying for CC. I informed them of Wisconsin Carry and what we stood for, told them that we were fighting for their rights and we could really use their support also. They seemed to really like WCI.