• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

64 year old man tazed in his own home for nothing!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This just infuriates the he-- out of me. Where in the he-- do these officers get off thinking they are acting within the scope of the law? I hope this citizen not only wins his suit, but puts these LEO's on the street, never again to wear a badge and a gun. The only bad thing about it is the taxpayers are going to foot the legal costs for their actions. In such a case, taxpayers should be free and clear and the offending LEO's should bear the full burden of their illegal actions.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=7639987

eye95

Who wouldn't want to hate the cops after reading something like that?

Me.

You see, I don't assume that all cops are like the ones who make the news because of their horrific behavior. Most cops never make the news because most don't do this stuff.

SlackwareRobert

I would give the good leo the benefit of the doubt if I would just see one instance on the news of them raiding these cops homes and tazing them to bring them in, or at the very least did the same when "I wasn't drunk" Clinton fell down the steps.
As long as there is two sets of rules, they are all on the bad side to me till proven otherwise.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the police state. Still think your free ?

they entered his home with out , announcing them selves
they had no warrant
No probable cause
then when told to leave
they taser the older guy, which could have killed him ( bad heart )

I want some here to tell me, that we live in a free country & that we have rights. then I want that person to tell me why the police THINK that they have the authority to do something like this to a guy who i9s in his own home ! As long as one cop somewhere in this country, violates the rights of just one US citizen...WE DO NOT LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE WE ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE RIGHTS & FREEDOMS.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Me.

You see, I don't assume that all cops are like the ones who make the news because of their horrific behavior. Most cops never make the news because most don't do this stuff.

Yet the brotherhood and authorities continue to not stop this type of thinking and behavior.
Again this goes to show the cultural thinking that is allowed in LEA's.

Most Cops are also not banding together to stop their brethren from doing this crap, and it happens again and again, this is not an isolated case. That is what I find sad. I can guarantee the actions of these bad cops didn't suddenly pop up in one case and there were no indicators that they had overly aggressive and inappropriate tendencies.

Try to file a complaint on an officer and his illegal behavior and watch how quickly the other officers jump to his defense and try to thwart your attempts at trying to discipline/correct a wrong on an officers actions.

I implore all you good Police/public servants please step up to the plate you are quickly loosing the support of the population you serve.

This points again to my argument that we need a lot less police force in this country. They have become a necessary evil in our society to some extent, but not to the extent of the standing army they have become.

kadar

I predict the review board will find that the officers did not act inappropriately.

daddy4count

Most cops never make the news because most don't do this stuff.
Agree! My point being that this is the only type of LEO news we see... ever. We don't get to hear the stories of hero cops saving lives, comforting lost children, protecting and serving their communities.

All we hear about is the BS that goes on a small percentage of the time...

Freedom of press is great, but I'd love to see somebody exercise their right to report balanced, factual stories...

sudden valley gunner

Agree! My point being that this is the only type of LEO news we see... ever. We don't get to hear the stories of hero cops saving lives, comforting lost children, protecting and serving their communities.

Freedom of press is great, but I'd love to see somebody exercise their right to report balanced, factual stories...

Supreme court ruled they are not obligated to do those things.

obamacare

This just infuriates the he-- out of me. Where in the he-- do these officers get off thinking they are acting within the scope of the law? I hope this citizen not only wins his suit, but puts these LEO's on the street, never again to wear a badge and a gun. The only bad thing about it is the taxpayers are going to foot the legal costs for their actions. In such a case, taxpayers should be free and clear and the offending LEO's should bear the full burden of their illegal actions.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=7639987

This thread will be labeled leo bashing and be deleted.

ElW75

This is what happens when litigation replaces personal responsibility

I was not there, I did not see video of the event from start to finish, but in my opinion both sides were in the wrong. The police were wrong for repeatedly tasing this man even though he was acting non-threatening (to the officers), but I can see where they were coming from. Had they simply said "he doesn't mean any harm to himself or others" and left, and he had in-fact killed himself, they could have been sued by his next of kin for failing to take his threat of bodily harm seriously. If we had personal responsibility instead of civil liability, the Officers could have put in their report "the man insinuated he wanted to cause harm to himself, when we offered to get him evaluated, he refused multiple times and told us to leave" that would be the end of it. I believe the officers were thinking that they had no choice but to bring him to the hospital or else it would be their fault if something happened. They say "Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it", I would go further and say "every police interaction has a lawyer attached to it." I am not bashing lawyers, just the rules, regulations, and litigation that attempt to replace common sense and personal responsibility.

obamacare

I know a few people tht have been tasered and i think it leaves a tiny mark/scar where the needle went in. Could that be cruel and unusual punishment? I think taser need to be sued.

Gunslinger

I was not there, I did not see video of the event from start to finish, but in my opinion both sides were in the wrong. The police were wrong for repeatedly tasing this man even though he was acting non-threatening (to the officers), but I can see where they were coming from. Had they simply said "he doesn't mean any harm to himself or others" and left, and he had in-fact killed himself, they could have been sued by his next of kin for failing to take his threat of bodily harm seriously. If we had personal responsibility instead of civil liability, the Officers could have put in their report "the man insinuated he wanted to cause harm to himself, when we offered to get him evaluated, he refused multiple times and told us to leave" that would be the end of it. I believe the officers were thinking that they had no choice but to bring him to the hospital or else it would be their fault if something happened. They say "Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it", I would go further and say "every police interaction has a lawyer attached to it." I am not bashing lawyers, just the rules, regulations, and litigation that attempt to replace common sense and personal responsibility.
Lawyers didn't commit aggravated assault against this man with no legal authority to do so, pos cops did. "Both sides were in the wrong" are you ******* kidding me! What did this man, in his own dwelling, do to the badge wearing thugs? Cop bashing is a big no-no on this forum. Maybe the apologists for the Nazi bastards among them should have their posts deleted, as well.

eye95

I stand corrected. I got the misimpression that you would be one of the haters. I see that I am wrong. Sorry.

Gunslinger

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: LEO Bashing

This isn't a report on cops in general, heroes, everyday workers, etc. It is a report about thugs walking all over the rights of US and doing whatever they ******* feel like because they are above the law.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
1. Why wasn't this thread started in "The Social Lounge" subforum?

2. We need to get a few more facts. There is reference to the man making a comment that could indicate suicidal intent.

Depending on all the details, the cop might in fact have authority for a seizure and/or the intrusion across the sacred threshold.

Something to keep in mind. I don't know if all cops are trained a certain way about suicidal people, but I know some cops are: A suicidal person is by definition homicidal--towards himself. It is an extremely agitated state of mind. It is entirely possibly for the suicidal person's hostility to shift from himself to you or the cop on the scene, meaning the homicidal intent can shift from himself to someone in his immediate area.

So, depending on the full story, it might have been adviseable for the officer to be ready for a physical force situation. Although, after only one viewing, the victim seems calm and rational enough in the early part of the video.

One thing that really stood out to me was the officer's repeated commands to stop resisting while the victim is writhing under the electric charge. What was that about? He is supposed to calmly lay still while jolted by a device specifically designed to overwhelm the victim's ability to control his body? The nonsense command makes me think the cop wasn't thinking, as in: not in control himself.

Last edited: