• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

64 year old man tazed in his own home for nothing!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP My point being that this is the only type of LEO news we see... ever. We don't get to hear the stories of hero cops saving lives, comforting lost children, protecting and serving their communities.

1. When there is video of police in dramatic situations and the police act properly, the video shows up on the internet right away.

2. At least one state appeals court justice has finally noticed that video that proves a good-cop shows up quickly, yet when there are serious questions about the cops' behavior, the video equipment was "not turned on", or the equipment "had a technical problem." That justice's notice was written into his dissent in a case.

3. News stories abound of police finding the little girl who wandered away and got lost in the woods, pulling a person from a burning car, etc.

Police departments have a very active sense of public relations. They're not going to turn down a chance to make themselves look good.

eye95

1. When there is video of police in dramatic situations and the police act properly, the video shows up on the internet right away.

2. At least one state appeals court justice has finally noticed that video that proves a good-cop shows up quickly, yet when there are serious questions about the cops' behavior, the video equipment was "not turned on", or the equipment "had a technical problem." That justice's notice was written into his dissent in a case.

3. News stories abound of police finding the little girl who wandered away and got lost in the woods, pulling a person from a burning car, etc.

Police departments have a very active sense of public relations. They're not going to turn down a chance to make themselves look good.

Funny. Ya never see the videos here.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I would give the good leo the benefit of the doubt if I would just see one instance on the news of them raiding these cops homes and tazing them to bring them in, or at the very least did the same when "I wasn't drunk" Clinton fell down the steps.
As long as there is two sets of rules, they are all on the bad side to me till proven otherwise.

The Blue Wall of Silence smears the so-called good cops as well as the bad. As long as the Blue Wall of Silence exists, even the so-called good cops are legitimately tainted.

The Wall hides something, the so-called good cops who practice it are hiding something. At the very least they find it tolerable, and doing nothing effective to stop it, they become themselves enablers.

Are we to really believe that so-called good-cops---the Heros in Blue, defenders of public safety, paragons of public virtue, empowered above mere citizens, and the "only ones" trained to deal with really bad people--suddenly come all over intimidated by "just a few" bad cops?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This thread will be labeled leo bashing and be deleted.

That may happen, but as anyone can clearly see, I was not LEO bashing one bit. So I will rest on what I wrote and if it does get killed because of what you mentioned, then I'll just consider it a foolish and irresponsible act by someone who did not read the story or understand the thrust of my ire.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I love how the cop keeps saying"stop resisting", classic

yeah, while this guy was being fried numerous times, the keeps yelling stop resisting...how could he be resisting when he is being zapped ???? I watch TV with a Glock next to me, I would have been shot- even though I never touched the gun.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: LEO Bashing / etc

Last edited:

Ruby

I have a right to feel safe and BE safe in my own home.
I have a right to refuse to be "helped" in my own home.
I have a right to make people leave who I don't want in my home and are there without my permission.
And I have a right to sue the sh*t out of those who violate my rights!!

heresyourdipstickjimmy

This just infuriates the he-- out of me. Where in the he-- do these officers get off thinking they are acting within the scope of the law? I hope this citizen not only wins his suit, but puts these LEO's on the street, never again to wear a badge and a gun. The only bad thing about it is the taxpayers are going to foot the legal costs for their actions. In such a case, taxpayers should be free and clear and the offending LEO's should bear the full burden of their illegal actions.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=7639987

Yet another article from a media outlet that refuses to see what's really transpiring. Did you watch the entire newscast because the newscasters obviously didn't review the footage properly? What boils my blood is the civilian that thinks he or she knows about use of force when they clearly do not and have no LEO experience what so ever. Those are the folks endangering our officers by making false claims that this kind of action was wrong when it clearly was not. Elderly people are fully capable of inflicting injury and putting up one heck of a physical fight, so don't count them out just because they're old. When the po-po shows up, you have likely done something to bring them there.

LEOs informed him that they were going to take him in for an evaluation. He does not have a choice in the matter if this is going to occur...it is going to happen for the reason that he said if he had a gun he would shoot himself. Threat to commit suicide...potential to hurt others as well, both of which mean the ability to make his own decisions must be evaluated by a medical professional...against his will if necessary.

Next, he refuses to follow lawful orders from the LEOs by remaining on the couch. This is called passive resistance folks...it IS resistance. Next he attempts to stand up, that alone could be considered an act of hostility and the LEOs practiced restraint and ordered him to sit down, then put his hands behind his back. Again he refused and became verbally resistive as well. With him attempting to walk off he is no longer in passive resistance, he's beyond that and possibly in defensive resistance. You can bet if they went hands on it would have become very physical.

There's the threat of harm to self, the potential harm to others, the potential harm to LEOs. Taser IS justified to limit the ability of the subject from being able to hurt himself or the officers (or others).

1st discharge. Then you see an officer attempting to get a hand behind subject's back, he's resisting. He's ordered to stop resisting and warned he will be tased again, but he keeps resisting. 2nd discharge. Same order to stop resisting is given and subject continues to resist. 3rd discharge.

Want to claim the issue of the heart condition? Get Taser certified and you'll quickly find out that the statistics and personal experience illustrate that the Taser affects the nervous system (pain response portion), not the circulatory system. It is extremely difficult to link any death directly to the use of a Taser, the big issue would be if it were used on someone with a pacemaker.

Last edited:

Ruby

Yet another article from a media outlet that refuses to see what's really transpiring. Did you watch the entire newscast because the newscasters obviously didn't review the footage properly? What boils my blood is the civilian that thinks he or she knows about use of force when they clearly do not and have no LEO experience what so ever. Those are the folks endangering our officers by making false claims that this kind of action was wrong when it clearly was not. Elderly people are fully capable of inflicting injury and putting up one heck of a physical fight, so don't count them out just because they're old. When the po-po shows up, you have likely done something to bring them there.

LEOs informed him that they were going to take him in for an evaluation. He does not have a choice in the matter if this is going to occur...it is going to happen for the reason that he said if he had a gun he would shoot himself. Threat to commit suicide...potential to hurt others as well, both of which mean the ability to make his own decisions must be evaluated by a medical professional...against his will if necessary.

Next, he refuses to follow lawful orders from the LEOs by remaining on the couch. This is called passive resistance folks...it IS resistance. Next he attempts to stand up, that alone could be considered an act of hostility and the LEOs practiced restraint and ordered him to sit down, then put his hands behind his back. Again he refused and became verbally resistive as well. With him attempting to walk off he is no longer in passive resistance, he's beyond that and possibly in defensive resistance. You can bet if they went hands on it would have become very physical.

There's the threat of harm to self, the potential harm to others, the potential harm to LEOs. Taser IS justified to limit the ability of the subject from being able to hurt himself or the officers (or others).

1st discharge. Then you see an officer attempting to get a hand behind subject's back, he's resisting. He's ordered to stop resisting and warned he will be tased again, but he keeps resisting. 2nd discharge. Same order to stop resisting is given and subject continues to resist. 3rd discharge.

Want to claim the issue of the heart condition? Get Taser certified and you'll quickly find out that the statistics and personal experience illustrate that the Taser affects the nervous system (pain response portion), not the circulatory system. It is extremely difficult to link any death directly to the use of a Taser, the big issue would be if it were used on someone with a pacemaker.

The only one who refuses to see what's happening is you. What YOU don't seem to see is that a lot of his rights were violated. They barged into his home without his permission, no warrant, etc. Let something like this happen to you and see how you feel about it. Just one more example of LE heavy handedness and "authoritarian" intrusion into our lives.

BTW, the cop here in Seattle who beat down and stomped a Mexican(actually turned out he was Haida indian)and used a racial slur, was acquitted of a hate crime and the prosecuter found he did not use excessive force, never mind he kicked the guy in the head after he was down and compliant. And I am not bashing, just stating the facts in this case.

People are getting fed up with it and I can't blame them. I am getting fed up with it. If a citizen did that, he would be arrested and jailed, yet the LEO didn't get anymore than a slap on the wrist. If LEOs want respect they are going to have to show some to the citizens.

Ruby

Agree! My point being that this is the only type of LEO news we see... ever. We don't get to hear the stories of hero cops saving lives, comforting lost children, protecting and serving their communities.

All we hear about is the BS that goes on a small percentage of the time...

Freedom of press is great, but I'd love to see somebody exercise their right to report balanced, factual stories...

Same could be said about OCers and gun owners in general. Only the ones who do something wrong, or are ACCUSED of doing something wrong, make the news. Those of us who go about our daily lives armed, and nothing happens are never in the news. Why? Because bad news, horrible awful new, sells!! Good news doesn't, at least not nearly as much. Really says something for our society, doesn't it?

MarlboroLts5150

It is stories like this, and assholes like that, which give the police such a bad name.

Who wouldn't want to hate the cops after reading something like that?

Me.

You see, I don't assume that all cops are like the ones who make the news because of their horrific behavior. Most cops never make the news because most don't do this stuff.

+1

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

{{{ It is extremely difficult to link any death directly to the use of a Taser, the big issue would be if it were used on someone with a pacemaker. }}}}

ok, mr. Tasers are the Bomb........what if the guy had a pacemaker & the ooficer using the taser KILLED the guy, WHAT THEN ???? still not the officers fault ????? the guy is DEAD because the officer, was too much of a complete weakling to manually arrest the old guy. seems like cops LOVE Tasering people, I mean us SUBJECTS. I have yet to find the part in the Bill of rights that givs Police the authority to inflict cruel and unusual punishment on the people, yup...MILDLY ELECTROCUTING PEOPLE is TORTURE in most peoples books. If this type of heavy handed totalitarian treatment of the people goes on much longer there will be a reckoning in this country & LE will be the first ones to feel it. the people will speak sooner or later & LE will never be that unhappy again.

or not.

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

1. Why wasn't this thread started in "The Social Lounge" subforum?

2. We need to get a few more facts. There is reference to the man making a comment that could indicate suicidal intent.

Depending on all the details, the cop might in fact have authority for a seizure and/or the intrusion across the sacred threshold.

Something to keep in mind. I don't know if all cops are trained a certain way about suicidal people, but I know some cops are: A suicidal person is by definition homicidal--towards himself. It is an extremely agitated state of mind. It is entirely possibly for the suicidal person's hostility to shift from himself to you or the cop on the scene, meaning the homicidal intent can shift from himself to someone in his immediate area.

So, depending on the full story, it might have been adviseable for the officer to be ready for a physical force situation. Although, after only one viewing, the victim seems calm and rational enough in the early part of the video.

One thing that really stood out to me was the officer's repeated commands to stop resisting while the victim is writhing under the electric charge. What was that about? He is supposed to calmly lay still while jolted by a device specifically designed to overwhelm the victim's ability to control his body? The nonsense command makes me think the cop wasn't thinking, as in: not in control himself.

I have seen this in a lot of videos when a man is tazed and it never makes sense. One time I saw a video where a man passed out after being tazed and while the cop cuffed him he was yelling "stop resisting". I think they are just trained to say that anytime they use any force.

END_THE_FED

Was his threat of suicide actually valid? Havent you ever had a bad headache or been really sick and said " i could kill myself right now" kind of like when your mad at a loved one and you say "I am so mad I could kill you".

On another note I would say that if a man is serious about killing himself then it is none of the police/governments business until they have RAS that he is a danger to others.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I am reminded of the recent murder by police of the citizen carrying in a, WalMart was it, and upon exiting, was gunned down. Wasn't this in Oregon or Washington?? Or what about that man who was murdered while on the ground in the BART incident in California last year?

LEO's make mistakes just like other people. In that regard, they're no different that the rest of us. However, we have lent them the power and authority to carry out our laws since we have neither the time nor inclination to do this ourselves. The problems arise when individual officers, or sometimes even entire departments, forget their oath to the Constitution and for whom they work - US! Only thing is sometimes their mistakes result in the abuse and even the death of citizens who do not deserve to suffer such miscreant behavior.

I mentioned that I was not LEO-bashing and I was not... period. However, I certainly WAS bashing the behavior of the officers in this video as it was obvious they had overstepped their bounds and their authority. Kinda reminds me of the little old lady videoed during the aftermath of Katrina who was wrestled to the floor in her home because she showed the officers her small revolver. But then again, what took place in New Orleans was beyond the extreme and ridiculous... it was evil. Too bad a bunch of good 'ole boys didn't ban together, armed to the teeth, to tell the mayor and police chief when their minions came to confiscate their weapons, "Not today, not tomorrow, not ever".

SavageOne

Me.

You see, I don't assume that all cops are like the ones who make the news because of their horrific behavior. Most cops never make the news because most don't do this stuff.

Eye, you recently made this observation of Muslims in another thread

You hit on something there. Whenever something evil is done in the name of Islam, Muslims who call themselves moderate rush to remind us not to hate all Muslims. You don't hear a lot of denunciation of the Muslims they call extremist.

I have no doubt that some Muslims' initial reaction is horror at the acts of Islamic terrorists. However, based on the reactions from most, more than speaking out against terrorism in the name of Islam, they worry that all Muslims will be hated.

Ironically, that tack generates some hate on the whole religion.

Disclaimer: If you read my words carefully, you will notice that this is an analysis and projects no hate on Islam.

You rightly point out in your post that the majority of LEO's do not violate our rights. You must surely see, however, just as "moderate" Muslims must denounce terrorists, "good" LEO's must denounce those who violate the rights of citizens. This has not been the case of late in regard to LEO's or LEA's and I'm afraid until you see LEO's en masse denouce these "bad" cops the general public's opinion of all LE will continue to sour.

Last edited: