Thread: CCW Required in Automobile in Denver?

CCW Required in Automobile in Denver?

I read something recently that I would like to get some opinions on. It was from the 2009 Traveler’s Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. On page 15, under the Colorado page it stated the following “Colorado’s Supreme Court recently upheld a Denver ordinance that requires readily accessible firearms in vehicles to be carried exclusively by persons possessing recognized concealed weapons permit”. I have never heard of the requirement or court decision. Any help?

THANKS!

That's totally bogus.....CO considers your vehicle to be an extension of your home so you DO NOT need a permit to carry in your car....even in Denver

Moderator / Administrator
    the only issue I never solved is whether one can open carry in vehicles in Denver - the court decision was not clear on this . . .

Anywhere inside the confines of the car is legal, on your person included, concealed or not. There has been no court case changing this fundamental statute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Anywhere inside the confines of the car is legal, on your person included, concealed or not. There has been no court case changing this fundamental statute.
    What about a Colorado Supreme Court ruling/opinion like the Open Carry restriction in Denver?

That was years ago. I'm talking about no recent rulings.

Quote Originally Posted by KJM View Post
    What about a Colorado Supreme Court ruling/opinion like the Open Carry restriction in Denver?
    No. You may carry in your vehicle ANYWHERE here in Colorado.

PLEASE READ THIS. It includes the relevant Colorado statutes for carrying in a vehicle. Thanks.
    Last edited by since9; 09-17-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    No. You may carry in your vehicle ANYWHERE here in Colorado.

PLEASE READ THIS. It includes the relevant Colorado statutes for carrying in a vehicle. Thanks.
    i keep a copy of that in my glove box, just in case.

when in my car, i OC mostly, sometimes CC. i know its going to be a s*** storm if i ever get pulled over by DPD, but i'm not going to let the possiblity of illegal police action drive my approach to my own rights.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    i keep a copy of that in my glove box, just in case.

when in my car, i OC mostly, sometimes CC. i know its going to be a s*** storm if i ever get pulled over by DPD, but i'm not going to let the possiblity of illegal police action drive my approach to my own rights.
    I support your efforts!

While looking into the matter of why DPD employees have had so many problems abusing citizens and citizen rights, and I believe I discovered why: They're do not train to Colorado's POST (peace officer standards and training). Somewhere along the line, Denver obtained an exemption from this otherwise mandatory statewide requirement, in part because of their longevity of existence and the presence of their own, well-established training regimen.

Personally, I think the citizens of Denver, as well as the many who visit or pass through Denver each year, would be far better served if DPD were to train to Colorado POST standards, instead.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.