• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Required in Automobile in Denver?

KJM

I read something recently that I would like to get some opinions on. It was from the 2009 Traveler’s Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. On page 15, under the Colorado page it stated the following “Colorado’s Supreme Court recently upheld a Denver ordinance that requires readily accessible firearms in vehicles to be carried exclusively by persons possessing recognized concealed weapons permit”. I have never heard of the requirement or court decision. Any help?

THANKS!

Gunslinger

Anywhere inside the confines of the car is legal, on your person included, concealed or not. There has been no court case changing this fundamental statute.

KJM

Anywhere inside the confines of the car is legal, on your person included, concealed or not. There has been no court case changing this fundamental statute.

What about a Colorado Supreme Court ruling/opinion like the Open Carry restriction in Denver?

bomber

No. You may carry in your vehicle ANYWHERE here in Colorado.

PLEASE READ THIS. It includes the relevant Colorado statutes for carrying in a vehicle. Thanks.

i keep a copy of that in my glove box, just in case.

when in my car, i OC mostly, sometimes CC. i know its going to be a s*** storm if i ever get pulled over by DPD, but i'm not going to let the possiblity of illegal police action drive my approach to my own rights.

since9

Campaign Veteran
i keep a copy of that in my glove box, just in case.

when in my car, i OC mostly, sometimes CC. i know its going to be a s*** storm if i ever get pulled over by DPD, but i'm not going to let the possiblity of illegal police action drive my approach to my own rights.

I support your efforts!

While looking into the matter of why DPD employees have had so many problems abusing citizens and citizen rights, and I believe I discovered why: They're do not train to Colorado's POST (peace officer standards and training). Somewhere along the line, Denver obtained an exemption from this otherwise mandatory statewide requirement, in part because of their longevity of existence and the presence of their own, well-established training regimen.

Personally, I think the citizens of Denver, as well as the many who visit or pass through Denver each year, would be far better served if DPD were to train to Colorado POST standards, instead.