• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alcohol limit

Count

Founder's Club Member
I know it is illegal to carry under the inlfuence in Colorado. I open carried in many bars but I only ate and had non-alcoholic beverages. Can you have a drink at all while carrying or open carrying?

entartet17

I know it is illegal to carry under the inlfuence in Colorado. I open carried in many bars but I only ate and had non-alcoholic beverages. Can you have a drink at all while carrying or open carrying?

This is a point of much contention because the law does not clearly define what "under the influence" means in regards to carrying. The law reads:

18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons.
(d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303, C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection.

Most people assume it's the same as the limit for driving but it's unclear. This lack of a definition was brought up in People v. Beckett but the court ruled the lack of a definition did not matter because the individual testified that he was too drunk to drive.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
As was said above, the law only defines "under the influence" which in driving is a more foregiving standard than the "impaired to the slightest degree" of a DWAI. So it's really hard to say. It goes without saying that it's not a good idea. If you're the type of person that enjoys a glass of wine or a beer with your meal, you'd be better off in public CCing than OCing while doing it.

logan

Campaign Veteran
I think the biggest factor here is not what the police will think, but what will the jurors think about you drinking and then defending yourself?

You may feel 1 or 2 drinks is fine for you to function normally and drive just fine, but what if the jurors feel you are guilty of murder because your judgement was impaired?

Just my thoughts on the issue. I don't drink, so I don't need to worry about this.

A couple weekends ago I was in Minneapolis and I got to carry in a bar for the first time (I live in WI...WI sucks. Can't even carry in a restaurant if they serve alcohol.). Especially since the bar was in a sketchy neighborhood, I was glad I was able to carry. I am moving to Colorado soon, so I am very happy with CO laws that I can carry in restaurants that serve and bars. Should my fiancé want to go out, I can go out with her and protect us, and not have to leave the gun(s) at home.

INSPGAD

Drinking alcohol while carrying

IMHO I believe, better safe than sorry, if I'm going to have a drink I will do it at home. With the way things are, it is a big enough responsibility to carry and possibly have to defend your self, or a loved one, with out having any alcohol in your system. I believe it isn't wise to tempt fate. JMHO

Gunslinger

Very gray area in CO statutes. I would guess .08 is prima facia proof; less would be under the discretion of the cop. Better to be safe than sorry, and carrying while impaired is simply stupid in the first place. I drink very little, but would feel ok with one. That's about it.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Just play it safe and if you're carrying, don't drink. If you think you might be drinking, leave the gun at home.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I know it is illegal to carry under the inlfuence in Colorado.

Correct. What's not defined for the carrying of firearms is "under the influence." The motor vehicle limit is written in statute, but don't ever make the mistake of thinking it'll be the same for the carrying of a firearm, as it probably won't, either in a judge's eyes, an LEO's eyes, a prosecutor's eyes, or a jury's eyes. A good prosecutor can steer a jury into thinking you were guilty of being under the influence if you've have any alcohol in your system. A great one will convince them you were under the influence if you're dry and just nursing a hangover!

Best bet: Don't be a CAD (carrying and drinking)