• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Open Carry as easy as it sounds?

fully_armed_biker

Welcome to the Old Dominion...thank you to you and your wife for your service!

"Is Open Carry as seasy as it sounds?"...I'd like to think that there is more to it than that....Technically, yes it is...but, the real question is, "Is taking responsibility for protecting yourself and your loved ones, that easy?" that the responsibility of undertaking obtaining skill and proficiency, by practicing with your firearm regulary, and gaining knowledge of the law, by participating in forums like this, and educating yourself is a tremendous decision and not one that is "easy," as OC is just now becoming more prevalent in society...and still unkown to many.

You come from a law enforcement background...so you more than likely have the skill and proficiency. You need to maintain that skill while educating yourself on the laws. Many think of OCers as "wannabe cops." You need to have a completely different mindset than that of an LEO. The decision to take responsibility for you own protection, is a tremendous one. One that some simply either won't or can't make. There are a lot of people that will always rely on the government, ie the police, to protect them...when that isn't even their job, nor are they legally responsible to provide that protection, regardless of any motto plastered on their police cruisers. Their job is to investigate crimes AFTER they have happened. Two phrases that have served me well..."I'd rather have it [my gun] and not need it, than need it, and not have it," and "When seconds count, the police are minutes away."

For me, the question, "Is taking responsibility for protecting yourself and your loved ones, that easy?" is answered with a resounding yes!

simmonsjoe

Hold on. I have read these posts for months now, and was pretty clear in understanding that the "VirginiaTuck" was the "tucking" of one's sportscoat pocket or shirt tail behind the grips of a handgun, to convert from a "concealed" posture to an open-carry position, according to change in legal location and the requirements of the law instantaneously. Now, I see here, that it means In-the-waistband-carry. How was I so wrong in understanding this terminology?
Your not. The VA tuck is simply the act of tucking your shirt/coat behind your gun. Whether the handgun is IWB or OWB is irrelevant. t33j's point in his comment, is that having your handgun in a IWB holster, it is still commonly visible and therefor open carry.

Don Barnett

Guess I Don't Go There...

What about all the discussion hereon about Toys R Us, Costco, various banks, etc?

OK...I don't frequent those places...so maybe I am not aware.

Toys-R-Us? Haven't been to one in years.

Costco? I belong to Sam's Club and don't see the need to belong to another Warehouse Club. Sam's has never said a word.

Banks? I use Bank of America. My wife does all the finances and usually does everything on line.

TFred

To further clarify on the IWB question.

Not all IWBs are "tuckable". Some are not at all. Most IWBs work with a portion of the holster/gun below the waistline, and a portion sticking out/above the waistline. With no shirt, the back and grip are plainly visible. The question is what do you do with your shirt?

Some IWBs are designed with special loops or hooks that allow for the shirt to tuck down between the holster and the waistband, the loop or hook attaches to the holster lower, down inside the waistband.

Other IWBs do not have this accommodation, and the loop or hook attaches to the holster at or above the waistband, which means that to conceal, the shirt must remain untucked and hang out over the holster and grip.

The Virginia Tuck describes tucking the shirt in behind the holster and grip, making the gun visible, so as to comply with the former law that concealed carry in a restaurant that served alcohol was not allowed, even with a CHP.

TFred

P.S. Do a Google Image search using either [tuckable iwb] or [nontuckable iwb]. You will be able to see the difference in how the loop or hook attaches to the holster to provide or not provide for the ability to tuck the shirt in between.

Last edited:

wylde007

The Virginia Tuck describes tucking the shirt in behind the holster and grip, making the gun visible, so as to comply with the former law that concealed carry in a restaurant that served alcohol was not allowed, even with a CHP.
A law which only applies to those willing to accede to it.

They are commonly referred to as "law abiding citizens" but I have decided they deserve the more accurate moniker of "obedient".

MSC 45ACP

Hello all! I first want to say thank you for having me. My wife and I just moved to Falls Church, VA about a month ago from CT. I just recently finished six years active duty with the Coast Guard as a boat driver and federal law enforcement officer and my wife is currently serving with the Coast Guard. She has just reported to her new unit in Arlington.
=========================
First, welcome to OCDO from a retired Coastie GM and SAI. Thank you for your service. Welcome to Virginia and our wonderful OC laws. It is a nice feeling to be able to carry "off duty" pretty much wherever you go (with a few exceptions you should learn about by taking a class). With 6 years of AD, you probably have 2 or 3 years as a BTM and a year or 2 as BO, right? Your DD-214 makes you qualified (on paper) for a CHP in VA. I STILL recommend you (and your spousal unit) take a CHP class to familiarize you with state laws. A few OCDO posters teach classes up there in NOVA. I've heard ProShooter does a good job. With 22 years in the CG (19 of those as an SAI), I still felt it necessary to learn "local customs from the natives" much like the port brief you get before pulling into a foreign country.
==============================

I am 29 years old, I own a Bersa Thunder 380 and have already received my Virginia plates and drivers license. I went to a local gun store in Manassas inquiring about getting a concealed weapon permit. The owner was very nice and very helpful and he also informed of the open carry law here in VA.
===============================
I'm very disappointed in your choice of "weapons" for personal defense. .380 is better than nothing at all, and maybe slightly better than a rock, stick or ASP. If you're serious about your personal safety and well-being, get something that starts with at least a "4" like ".40 cal" or .45 ACP". Don't throw the cute little paperweight away, though... You can still use it as a backup with the right self-defense ammo for it.
==================================

I have done some extensive research on the subject (i.e. reading your forums, looking on the State Police website, and anything else I found on the subject) From what I am understanding, unless you're a felon or in a specified area where carrying a weapon is restricted (church, government buildings) it seems like all I have to do is holster a sidearm, keep it visible, and be responsible about it.
Is it really that easy?
============================

As I mentioned earlier, take a CHP class. The right class will teach you about VA laws. That's what you really need to know. It won't hurt to go to the range more often than once every 6 months, too. Semi-Annual quals are a joke. You better be very proficient with your pistol. It may save your life some day. Feel free to PM me if you want to get together and talk about CG, OC, CC and anything else. I'll even go to the range with you sometime.

Semper Paratus!
Mike

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A law which only applies to those willing to accede to it.

They are commonly referred to as "law abiding citizens" but I have decided they deserve the more accurate moniker of "obedient".

Why spin the condition of working within the law to be a negative?

Such is even an OCDO rule:
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules