• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Carolina state of emergency removes gun rights for residents of entire state

KIX

I'm confused.

Didn't the federal case in New Orleans give us precedent so that this can't happen?

Jonathan

o-Marine-o

I believe that during a state of emergency the goverment has the right to decare Martial Law for a area, maybe this is what they are doing?

Under Martial Law, our rights mean nothing....rem:) Hogwash if ya ask me..

aadvark

North Carolina General Statute 14-288.7 allows this to happen, as North Carolina's Legislature has not yet Enacted a 'Katrina Bill', as other States have since Enacted, post-Katrina.
This Hurricane may well be the catalyst to ensure a second attempt to do so before The North Carolina General Assembly, but time will only tell as they only meet once every other year.
North Carolina's Firearm Laws are unique, as they allow a lot of things BUT also disallow a lot of things.

Here is one example: Open Carry in Local Public Buildings is OK, generally, however; Open Carry of Firearms in State Buildings, including CourtHouses, is Illegal, per General Statute 14-269.4.

KIX

I hear what your saying, but the precedent was in federal court..... seems like it wouldn't need state law.

Martial law - the time when you need RTKBA the most!!!!

Jonathan

JohnnyO

Politicians are out of control. Denying law abiding individuals their "God given" right to self defense.

Oh wait a minute, I forgot that all the neerdowells would magically obey this proclamation, bring their guns home and run to volunteer at the nearest soup kitchen.

So if I was a NC resident and I traveled out of state with a firearm and the Governor enacts this unconstitutional (crap) law I can't come home legally? At least not with my firearm/s.

Perdue needs to pay for this at the ballot box!

cricketdad

Politicians are out of control. Denying law abiding individuals their "God given" right to self defense.

Oh wait a minute, I forgot that all the neerdowells would magically obey this proclamation, bring their guns home and run to volunteer at the nearest soup kitchen.

So if I was a NC resident and I traveled out of state with a firearm and the Governor enacts this unconstitutional (crap) law I can't come home legally? At least not with my firearm/s.

Perdue needs to pay for this at the ballot box!

She is safe for two more years. However we can make her minions pay.

XDUser

Yea as if anyone would obey this.
If it came down to a SHTF situation I sure as hell am not going to go lock my guns up or turn them over to someone.
Will be nice when this BS gets squared away by legislation so people can work on other 2A issues.