• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California UOCers: please avoid black rifle drama...

bwiese

Hello California UOCers,

I'll not go into another Bill W. harangue here about merits (or lack thereof) of general UOCing, or the political consequences we luckily dodged.

[We were fortunate *this year* to end up having some big help from unexpected quarters and from drama around two legislators (one with mental function issues, one very ill) that would've required being wheeled in on gurneys to vote. Who knows what'll happen next year.]

But what I WILL specifically ask for, however, is to PLEASE REFRAIN FROM (U)OC OF BLACK RIFLES/"EVIL LONG GUNS", etc.

Certain groups don't need to be alienated and are disposed to work with us on certain key legislative matters of important mutual/overlapping interest in the future. OCing of EBRs can result in more Saldaña-style PR drama with guns even more inflammatory than sidearms.

Let's not speculate publicly here, but I'm hoping some folks here can 'read between the lines' and help guide others. Fixups with multi-group support are achieveable and are much cheaper than litigation.

Thank you!

Bill Wiese
CGF
San Jose CA

Last edited:

yelohamr

I agree.
And another thing to be aware of are the chiefs of departments that backed AB1934 and what their instructions to their officers will be on UOC now.
UOC of an EBR will bring more unnecessary attention.

Last edited:

ryanburbridge

When will we quit thinking like this? I am for the repeal of EVERY gun law on the books. I will not negotiate or compromise on this. This is how we got to the point we are at. When will the large and small gun groups stand up for ALL gun rights. Why do people buy into the lies that gun laws work. Why is the NRA ok with some restriction? Why be happy with stoping a ban when we should be looking at getting rid of laws already on the books. If it is leagle now why would you ask someone not to enjoy thier freedom and do what they want?

Carry on! I support all leagle carry long gun or not!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Come now Ryan, is the request to not carry a weapon that is offensive in nature really such a bizarre request? If AB 1934 were to pass, things would be different and the carrying of long rifles would be a prudent protest to send a message to our politicians. Handguns are inherently a defensive weapon, and if any of us plan on carrying for purposes of self-defense, then we would be carrying the appropriate tool for the job.

DEFENSOR

Wisdom

I agree especially on the specific points of drawing as much positive attention as possible from citizens. While drawing no attention from law enforcement except to reenforce that we are not going away and that their conduct will be scrutinized until acceptance and normalization is achieved.

leoffensive

I agree especially on the specific points of drawing as much positive attention as possible from citizens. While drawing no attention from law enforcement except to reenforce that we are not going away and that their conduct will be scrutinized until acceptance and normalization is achieved.

as much as i wanna say "eff that im gonna carry my ak and ar at the same time!" they are probably right.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
I wanted to point out something:

The OCDO forum has a rule against discussing long gun open carry. It is considered off-topic.

AB1934 is dead this year. The reason Bill is posting this in this forum is because of fact that he works with the gun rights lobbyists (Worley, Pederson) in Sacramento and AB1934 was extraordinarily difficult to defeat and twist arms to run out the clock.

EBR carry is off-topic in this forum, it's a bad idea politically for many different reasons. California is not Arizona.

Sons of Liberty

Well, I know of at least one individual who only has a long gun. I'll not be the one to dissaude him from exercising his 2nd amendment right to bear the only gun he has!

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
I wholeheartedly support Bill, and the CGF on this one. Let's keep the long guns out of OC for now (in urban areas anyway).

Ryan, you are failing to see that we are now winning, both in the courts, and as a side effect to that, in the political arena. Yes, the CA legislature are still ignorant but they are learning that anti-gun legislation is becoming a hot potato that will burn them if they are not careful. And regardless what they do, we are winning in the courts.

This is not the time to be rash. This is the time to celebrate our wins, but keep our cool, in order to keep winning the battles and eventually the war. For the first time in my life I see that victory is possible, but only if we keep fighting smart.

Gooelf

I'm not sure you can call any firearm defensive in nature, they all were originally designed for military use, and to attack. Firearms are just the new swords and daggers, both equally defensive and offensive. I just think that LongGuns are impratical for everyday use, and like everyone said draw unnecessary attention.
However, I defenitely would like to be able to buy things for my rifle without having to worry about legal issues, cuz seriously what does a name change matter; because it says Bushmaster on the side instead of Sigarms it's unsafe?

Sons of Liberty

And how does a CGF'er get a sticky?! I heard the CGF'ers were wanting AB1934 to pass! So, how does a CGF'er start lecturing us again about what to do and not do?! Do I need to bring up all of the static over this past year by CGF'ers?

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
Sons Of Liberty, please don't incite infighting between pro-2A groups. We are all on the same side. CGF did not want AB1934 to pass. They publicly opposed it. What may be confusing you is that Gene posted a potential strategy to use the law against it's idiot author's intent had it passed.

CGF is fighting for our 2A rights, doing so more effectively than most anyone else in CA. And without Bill specifically, none of us would have OLL rifles right now. Given that, I think we can show the guy some respect in that particular arena.

Sons of Liberty

Sons Of Liberty, please don't incite infighting between pro-2A groups. We are all on the same side. CGF did not want AB1934 to pass. They publicly opposed it. What may be confusing you is that Gene posted a potential strategy to use the law against it's idiot author's intent had it passed.

CGF is fighting for our 2A rights, doing so more effectively than most anyone else in CA. And without Bill specifically, none of us would have OLL rifles right now. Given that, I think we can show the guy some respect in that particular arena.

I wasn't the one going over to CGF's website telling them what they should do! Certain CGF'ers show up at key times and try to regulate/dictate what we can legally do. Their political wranglings are part of the problem. It's still about control, isn't it? I'm not the one inciting.

And I respect Al Gore for inventing the internet, but I won't vote for him!

cato

I wasn't the one going over to CGF's website telling them what they should do! Certain CGF'ers show up at key times and try to regulate/dictate what we can legally do. Their political wranglings are part of the problem. It's still about control, isn't it? I'm not the one inciting.

And I respect Al Gore for inventing the internet, but I won't vote for him!

I grabbed my rifle and Gadsdon but didn't see you outside so I went back in to the internet :banana:.

Start the revolution without me I guess. Dude things are looking up, be happy. :dude:

Last edited:

Sons of Liberty

I grabbed my rifle and Gadsdon but didn't see you outside so I went back in to the internet :banana:.

Start the revolution without me I guess. Dude things are looking up, be happy. :dude:

OK, you're right. Is there anything else the CGF'ers need for me to do? Could I send them a couple of thousand dollars? Could I sing the praises of OLL? Just let me know.

cato

And how does a CGF'er get a sticky?!

Because this sites owners agree, co-operate, and are DOWN with the coalition plan; Alan Gura, Don Kilmer, Jason Davis, Gene Hoffman, Mike Stolenwerk, John Peirce, Bill Weise, Gary Peterson, Me, Mudcamper, CA Libertarian, Condition3, (& many other OCers criminally defended by CGF in years past) Virginia Citizens Defense League and all the other states movers and shakers in WI, MI, WA, AZ, GA, CO, IL, DC and nationally are on the same page.

The forlorn hope has crossed the moat (Heller-McDonald) but we still need to weaken their outer wall (Nordyke-Sykes-Palmer-Pena) before storming the castle and committing our reserves (down with 12031, 626.9, AW ban etc...).

I know you hear King Henry V's Agincourt speech urging you to charge but let the sappers and miners do their work first. Then in with the light troops followed by the grenadiers and Tally Ho it is!

Sign up son, you're a firebrand! We need you and want your passion working to peacefully and positively to restore our Republic

Last edited:

cato

OK, you're right. Is there anything else the CGF'ers need for me to do? Could I send them a couple of thousand dollars? Could I sing the praises of OLL? Just let me know.

Just put the best positive friendly smilling face on UOC/OC you can. Be happy and you will attract people to your side (hat tip to a fortune cookie I met last night ;))

Sons of Liberty

Because this sites owners agree, co-operate, and are DOWN with the coalition plan; Alan Gura, Don Kilmer, Jason Davis, Gene Hoffman, Mike Stolenwerk, John Peirce, Bill Weise, Gary Peterson, Me, Mudcamper, CA Libertarian, Condition3, (& many other OCers criminally defended by CGF in years past) Virginia Citizens Defense League and all the other states movers and shakers in WI, MI, WA, AZ, GA, CO, IL, DC and nationally are on the same page.

Wow! So opencarry.org is now controlled by CGF?! Wow! I figured something like this might happen. :eek:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Wow! So opencarry.org is now controlled by CGF?! Wow! I figured something like this might happen. :eek:

I think if you ask John Pierce and Mike Stollenwerk whether the Calguns Foundation controls OCDO, they will assure you that as a seperate organization with parallel goals and interests, the CGF is a sister organization that is more narrowly interested in Californias unique second amendment environment. They would probably agree that you cannot treat California in the same way you would treat Virginia, Utah, or Vermont. Positive change is slower here and resisted more than any other place when it comes to firearms... and trying to advance our interests with a wide open throttle in all likelihood, will not get us there faster.