• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Shop

DEFENSOR

A friend and I were OC in Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday. Going in we were told that we could not be loaded, ok no problem.
An hour later the guys at the gun counter told us that if we wanted to carry in the store we had to go downstairs and let them put a trigger lock on it. We asked to speak to the manager (Shawn Richardson) Shawn was polite and profesional but was mistaken as to the policy regarding OC. It was his assertion that the trigger must be locked. we explained to him that a handgun with a trigger lock can not be put back into the holster thereby making it impossible
to carry. Furthermore it is extremely foolish to carry a firearm that has been disabled due to a locking device. We could not sway him so we locked guns in the car. I would rather have left without shopping but it was a long drive to leave empty handed.
Last night I sent an email corporate and got a promp call back from Larry Whitely this morning. He informed me that their policy does not deviate from applicable state law. Likewise store policy on such matters may not deviate from corporate policy. I later recieved a call back from Shawn to put us all in agreement. So if you are of a mind to
stop in and pay them an OC visit. I am confident you will find them courteous, professional and above all Knowledgable.
Some folks in a Silverton NV. store had the same problem last week. I think that have sought resolution in the same manner.

coolusername2007

Good to know. The BPS in RC has been very good to UOC'ers. We had our very first monthly meetup there and all went very well. I had a few very courteous and helpful phone discussions with the store's GM and he plainly told me to tell the UOC community all were welcome.

Now having said that, they might be a little anxious because of some idiot who shot a lady at their store a few months back. The moron in question took a gun to shoot at their range, and when he went to take it out of his bag at the front door to have it hobbled, it "accidentally went off" and grazed some poor lady in the buttocks.

Last edited:

wewd

Bass Pro's corporate policy is that, state law allowing, holstered sidearms are allowed into their stores, as long as they remain holstered. UOC in CA, LOC everywhere else OC is allowed. CC always welcome when state laws are followed.

PincheOgro1

Bass Pro's corporate policy is that, state law allowing, holstered sidearms are allowed into their stores, as long as they remain holstered. UOC in CA, LOC everywhere else OC is allowed. CC always welcome when state laws are followed.

I've been there several times. Every time they have put a trigger lock on. I understand what is being said here, especially when a gang banger or some nut job with a grudge against humanity. (like that militant wack job at the Discovery Channel) can sneak a weapon in. They have boxes of ammo sitting on shelfs. Any nut case could lock and load and start shooting away. OCers should be allowed to enter w/o trigger locks.

Last edited:

wewd

I've been there several times. Every time they have put a trigger lock on. I understand what is being said here, especially when a gang banger or some nut job with a grudge against humanity. (like that militant wack job at the Discovery Channel) can sneak a weapon in. They have boxes of ammo sitting on shelfs. Any nut case could lock and load and start shooting away. OCers should be allowed to enter w/o trigger locks.

They're not supposed to put trigger locks on holstered handguns. Those who insist that you do so have not been properly trained re the corporate policy. If you bring in a cased handgun to shoot at the range, they will still put a trigger lock on it. All handgun ammo is locked away behind glass, anyway.

nrickyz

I had a similar situation there a while back

I walked in "open carried" and was told by an attendant that I was displaying a loaded concealed weapon. then he asked me why i was displaying my weapon and i informed him about the 12025 codes and he still insisted it was a loaded concealment. I aksed for he manager and had a 5 min conversation about the law in CA. in the end I suggested he re-train his staff about the gun laws in CA. I was made to empty my clip and yes a trigger lock was placed on my handgun.

coolusername2007

When I talked to the GM about a year or so ago, he informed me that they would train all their employees but to keep in mind the fact that they employee something like 200 ppl so it would take some time. Now considering the fact that retail employees tend to come and go, I don't find it surprising that there are people there who don't know the corporate policy. Perhaps a follow up call to the GM is in order as their training program should focus on the front door attendants first. Bass Pro Shops is a friend and supporter of the 2nd amendment and respects the legal carry methods of that location's state.

Golden smith

Banned
There is one in Severville, TN, close to Knoxville.
There is a map located on basspro.com under locate a store.