• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for fellow NC'ers.

elixin77

My CHP (see what I did there dreamer?) teacher told me that unless you are there to witness the whole altercation, then it would be *safer* to not become involved.

However, if you walk into a store, and see some dude pointing a firearm at the clerk behind the counter, and saying "give me money (etc etc)" then it probably would be in your best interest to drop the BG (get rid of witnesses, etc). As others have stated though, you might want to wait until the gun isn't pointed at the guy behind the counter, because his finger might twitch in a reactionary movement.

razor_baghdad

Wow!

Not being argumentative here, but I was taught just the oppostie in my security/private investigator/bodyguard courses. "I was shooting to kill because my life was in danger and I felt it was my life or his." If I was not shooting to kill then the retort by the P.A. is, "If you didn't want kill someone who was trying to kill you then you must not have felt your life was in imminent danger."
I'm not saying you should appear to be glad you killed him. But if you only wanted to wound him, the threat must not have been escalated to the point that there was no other option.

In your scenario, the acid test for me is "WOULD A REASONABLE PERSON IN YOUR SITUATION FEEL THAT HIS LIFE (OR THE LIFE OF A THIRD PERSON IF YOUR STATE STATUTE ALLOWS) WAS IN IMMINENT DANGER.

If the question is yes, the shoot away. As one of my instructors told me, your life doesn't have to actually be in danger, but a reasonable person would have to FEEL THAT IT WAS. If the gun was pointed at the clerk, at a store often robbed, and the acts of the suspect was like a robbery, it is my belief that any rational, intelligent person would feel the clerks life was in imminent danger.

Again, not being a troll, but my response in court is going to be "Yessir, I shot him with the intent to kill him. I regret he put me in that predicament, but my life was in danger and I felt it was my life or his and I felt I had to kill him to continue to live."

This is one of the reasons you see in the news where the cops shot some guy 30 times and it isn't ruled a bad shoot. They are shooting to kill him, not to wound him or scare him away.

Great post!! How about this scenario: BG at the counter, gun pointed at/near the clerk, BG demanding $$$.
You walk in, armed, draw your weapon and the BG looks at you and says - 'Just wing me please, I only wanna do 6 months so I can get out of jail and rob again'.

Not gonna happen IOW. Shoot, keep shooting, reload, continue to neutralize the threat if need be.....but only if he's standing still waiting for you to finally 'wing' him.
I'd suggest some of you get out to the range and practice shooting moving targets, then come back and tell us how easy it is to 'shoot to wound' some BG on the run after you interrupted his robbery in progress.

(since no-one else has said it) It seems some of you all carry weapons because you think it's cool but are not at all prepared for the consequences of taking a life in defense of your own.

'I felt my life was in imminent danger' is the key here.

Dogpile welcome.

REDFIVE48

Shoot to Stop does not mean Shoot to Wound. Shoot center mass until the point the person is no longer a threat (you have now stopped the life threatening situation). No longer a threat may be that they are now dead, but if they flee or retreat, you have also stopped the situation, you may not pursue and kill the person. In that case, you are now the BG and if they were to turn on you and kill you, they are doing that in self-defense.

Reasonable man interpretation of threat neutralized applies, so lets not get into the whole they retreated behind a set of shelves to move to a position of cover to regain the advantage, obviously in this case, they have not withdrawn completely from the situation.

NRAMARINE

Your honor The suspect was about to murder me ( or insert person here) Out of fear for my ( Or insert here) life I fired my weapon into the purpurtrator's body until his actions and movement (or lack thereof) caused me to believe that he or she was no longer capeable of imminent bodily harm or causing a fatality.

rotorhead

(c) The person using deadly force was not an instigator or aggressor who voluntarily provoked, entered, or continued the conflict leading to deadly force, and

Careful of this little gem....

Make sure it appears you were dragged into the situation, rather than injecting yourself into a situation you could have reasonably avoided otherwise.

Just sayin...

Last edited: