Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Ocing a slinged handgun

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    179

    Ocing a slinged handgun

    Just a few hours ago i saw a guy who was ocing, he had what looked like a tec 9 pistol, on a sling, and he was just carrying it. He was well dressed, groomed etc etc, so the thought of a "gangster" didnt cross my mind. It was actually pretty awesome, but was it legal? i know its impractical, but could somone get busted for doing that??

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ARS 13-3102
    Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions
    A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
    .........
    2. Carrying a deadly weapon except a pocket knife concealed on his person or concealed within his immediate control in or on a means of transportation if the person is under twenty-one years of age; or
    ..........
    B. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to:
    ..........
    3. A firearm that is carried in:
    (a) A manner where any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible.
    (b) A holster that is wholly or partially visible.
    (c) A scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible.
    (d) Luggage.
    (e) A case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
    Nothing in the ARS against it, as far as I know.

    The quote is pertinent if he is under 21. Under ARS 13-3102 Subsection B, paragraph 3, which describes in what manner us youngans can open carry, it seems perfectly fine to carry a weapon slinged and out of a holster or case, provided it's visible.

    I know we aren't supposed to discuss the open carry of long guns, but that is legal in AZ as well.


    For more information, I suggest reading ARS 13-3102
    Last edited by Ltp0wer; 09-02-2010 at 09:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltp0wer View Post
    Nothing in the ARS against it, as far as I know.

    The quote is pertinent if he is under 21. Under ARS 13-3102 Subsection B, paragraph 3, which describes in what manner us youngans can open carry, it seems perfectly fine to carry a weapon slinged and out of a holster or case, provided it's visible.

    I know we aren't supposed to discuss the open carry of long guns, but that is legal in AZ as well.


    For more information, I suggest reading ARS 13-3102
    I figured it probably was legal, theres very few ways to illegally carry a gun in az.
    he looked to be in his mid 20's. I didnt get very close to him so i could be wrong

  4. #4
    Regular Member brokenbarrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    blowing dust, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltp0wer View Post
    Nothing in the ARS against it, as far as I know.

    The quote is pertinent if he is under 21. Under ARS 13-3102 Subsection B, paragraph 3, which describes in what manner us youngans can open carry, it seems perfectly fine to carry a weapon slinged and out of a holster or case, provided it's visible.

    I know we aren't supposed to discuss the open carry of long guns, but that is legal in AZ as well.


    For more information, I suggest reading ARS 13-3102
    all the crap you just posted is no longer valid no open carry/concealed carry or holster stipulations anymore accept you still have to be 18 for open carry and 21 to conceal carry

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenbarrel View Post
    all the crap you just posted is no longer valid no open carry/concealed carry or holster stipulations anymore accept you still have to be 18 for open carry and 21 to conceal carry
    What? Go read ARS 13-3102. You say "no open carry/concealed carry or holster stipulations anymore accept you still have to be 18 for open carry and 21 to conceal carry", well where in the ARS do you think it says all that? ARS 13-3102. Please read the statutes before acting like you know what you are talking about.

    The ARS website that I linked to is always updated. I linked and quoted the most current edition of the statute there is. If you actually read the page, you will see that it very clearly states that (in most cases) you need to be 21 to carry concealed. There are still stipulations for open carrying if you are under 21.

    Read ARS 13-3102. Don't be ignorant of the law, please.

  6. #6
    Regular Member mFonz77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    265
    Wording of law says holster or scabbard. Wish you would have snapped a pic!

  7. #7
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by mFonz77 View Post
    Wording of law says holster or scabbard. Wish you would have snapped a pic!
    Wording of law also says (for the under 21 kiddies) "A manner where any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible." - ARS 13-3102.B.3.a

    We (AzCDL) worked to make sure the restrictions to belt holsters weren't there. The way it reads now, as long as "any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible" or a "scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons" is "wholly or partially visible," you're good to go. Bear in mind that as a kid, you're a cop magnet. Also, cops have been condtioned for the last 16 years by court decisions that say "wholly or partially visible" means "obvious under casual observation." It's not like you can flick a switch in their heads and everything is erased.

    If you are under 21 our ability to expand Constitutional Carry to 18 years is on your shoulders and how you present yourselves.

    If you are under 21 and are carrying, don't act like a dick, dress like Chatsworth Osbourne Jr., pull your pants up, turn the bill of your hat to the front and wear a strong side belt holster only, expect to get hassled by the police and be nice to the cop.

    Now, back to carrying a pistol in a sling - it's like volunteering to be a poster child for gun control. It's all about "look at me." It's not how one with skill-at-arms would carry. My 2 cents.

    Flame away
    Fred

  8. #8
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Bear in mind that as a kid, you're a cop magnet.
    If you are under 21 and are carrying, don't act like a dick, dress like Chatsworth Osbourne Jr., pull your pants up, turn the bill of your hat to the front and wear a strong side belt holster only, expect to get hassled by the police and be nice to the cop.

    Now, back to carrying a pistol in a sling - it's like volunteering to be a poster child for gun control. It's all about "look at me." It's not how one with skill-at-arms would carry. My 2 cents.

    Flame away
    Fred
    +100

  9. #9
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    958
    Like it or not, in Arizona the way you dress and how you look when you OC can either make your day or put you thru a day of hell.

    In short, if you dress like a young punk-gangster-wannabe while you OC, you WILL attract a man with the badge.

  10. #10
    Regular Member mFonz77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    It's not how one with skill-at-arms would carry
    +1

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Wording of law also says (for the under 21 kiddies) "A manner where any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible." - ARS 13-3102.B.3.a

    We (AzCDL) worked to make sure the restrictions to belt holsters weren't there. The way it reads now, as long as "any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible" or a "scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons" is "wholly or partially visible," you're good to go. Bear in mind that as a kid, you're a cop magnet. Also, cops have been condtioned for the last 16 years by court decisions that say "wholly or partially visible" means "obvious under casual observation." It's not like you can flick a switch in their heads and everything is erased.

    If you are under 21 our ability to expand Constitutional Carry to 18 years is on your shoulders and how you present yourselves.

    If you are under 21 and are carrying, don't act like a dick, dress like Chatsworth Osbourne Jr., pull your pants up, turn the bill of your hat to the front and wear a strong side belt holster only, expect to get hassled by the police and be nice to the cop.

    Now, back to carrying a pistol in a sling - it's like volunteering to be a poster child for gun control. It's all about "look at me." It's not how one with skill-at-arms would carry. My 2 cents.

    Flame away
    Fred
    Agreed. I'm turning 19 in a week and I have made sure to know the law and to look nice when carrying. I can happily say that after over 11 months of open carry, I have never had a negative encounter with law enforcement. As long as you look clean and respectable, you'll be fine.

  12. #12
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    958
    If you are under 21 our (AZCDL) ability to expand Constitutional Carry to 18 years is on your shoulders and how you present yourselves
    Ding-ding-ding.......winner!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •