• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank encourages 2nd amendment

Hawaii FiveO

From the local newspaper in Chappell Hill, TX

Published:
Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:59 AM CDT
CHAPPELL HILL Any would-be robbers looking to walk into the bank here had best think twice.

There's a new sign in town.

About a month ago, Chappell Hill Bank president Edward Smith looked at a sign on the front door prohibiting concealed weapons from his business and decided to make a policy change.

Licensed to carry a handgun? Come on in, and bring your weapon.

The sign, now prominently displayed on the bank's front door, says, "Lawful concealed carry permitted on these premises. Management recognizes the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution as an inalienable right of all citizens. We therefore support and encourage the carrying of licensed concealed weapons."

Smith said he made the policy change to send a warning to potential robbers, and also to express support to Americans' right to bear arms.

We had the sign on the window, the red circle with the pistol inside and a line through it. And I started thinking, We've got this no gun sign up and the guy (robber) can come in and do what he wants.

But if you've got a policy allowing handguns, he won't know how many people are going to be in here carrying a concealed weapon. There may be some little old lady who's mad at the government, and she'd love to use it, he said.

The bank has been robbed twice in the last three years, including last March when a Western-attired man walked in, ordered bank employees to fill a canvas bag with money and then fled in a pickup truck. The man, who did not brandish a weapon, has not been caught.

The sign has made Chappell Hill Bank and Smith somewhat of an Internet sensation.

A photo of the sign has made its way around the world, and Smith has even been interviewed for the National Rifle Association's radio network (http://www.nranews.com. He's also been contacted by other media outlets wanting to do stories.

It's kind of gotten a life of its own, he said.

Expressions of support have far outnumbered criticism.

Smith been contacted by officials from larger banks considering to take similar action, and has received e-mails in support from across the United States and even from England , Canada and Germany .

I haven't gotten any from Chicago or California , which doesn't surprise me, Smith said with a laugh. We did get a real nice e-mail from an 88-year-old World War II veteran who said it's about time somebody stood up in this country.

The NRA has even invited him to speak at an upcoming convention, but Smith said, "I'm still deciding on that."

Smith said he's only received one negative e-mail, from an anonymous sender.

The policy change has also brought Chappell Hill Bank a handful of new customers and comments from people outside Washington County that they'd bank there if they lived here, said Smith.

I tell them that we're a full-service bank and we're on the Internet. They can bank online, he said.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 201

AZkopper

I've OC'd in Wells Fargo, here in AZ before. OC (and now permitless CC) is perfectly legal throughout the state. No banks up here in the Prescott area prohibit the carrying of firearms as far as I know (Wells Fargo and BofA are the two most proliferant national chains here, and they both allow it).

Hawaii FiveO

In Texas, as gun-friendly as they are do not permit UOC, or LOC. Note the sign says " - - encourage the carrying of licensed concealed weapons."

You can carry open loaded in AZ?

The PRK is 100 years behind AZ.

Eddie in San Jose

AZkopper

You can carry open loaded in AZ?

In AZ you can open carry loaded without ANY permit.

In AZ you can conceal carry loaded without ANY permit.

In AZ you can carry in to any business (other than a place that serves alcohol for on-premise consumption) unless they post 'no firearms' signs. Posting of such signs carries as much weight as a "no shoes no service" sign, and subject you to a request to leave (if enforced) and possible trespassing charges if you refues. For all practical purpose, a 'no firearms' sign in a non-bar just means 'conceal it'.

In AZ you can conceal carry in to a place that serves alcohol for on-premise consumption IF you have a Concealed Weapons Permit, and IF you do not drink, and IF the bar/restaraunt does not post a 'no firearms' sign.

In AZ you can carry your firearm within ANY distance of a school, just don't carry it on a school ground itself. If you must go to a school ground, the firearm must be unloaded and concealed in a locked vehicle.

In AZ, the 2nd Amendment is strong, and getter stonger each legislative session.

USMC1986

That's my kind of place for business! I wish more places adopted these signs rather than the well-known ban signs.

okboomer

I live in Oklahoma where we only have Concealed Carry as of now. I bank with a state bank in my small home town and in OKC when I am down there.

In my small town, the bank has a No Handgun sign, the same bank in OKC does not. Unless it is 'government' property, or clearly marked, CC is permissible on any property in the state.