• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Planes?

stainless1911

Banned
I would assume that a small private plane (ie. cessna) would be covered as a vehicle in Michigan, and therefore covered by CPL, but law is seldom simple. Is there any US or FAA regs that would prevent carry in a small private aircraft?

cessna-172-p-alejandro-diaz2.jpg

TheQ

I would assume that a small private plane (ie. cessna) would be covered as a vehicle in Michigan, and therefore covered by CPL, but law is seldom simple. Is there any US or FAA regs that would prevent carry in a small private aircraft?

cessna-172-p-alejandro-diaz2.jpg

Think someone is going to stop you and pull you over in the sky? :)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your Q.

Bailenforcer

Over the years I have met many pilots who carry, it is a good question raised by stainless. When I had my pilots training my instructor had a CCW and carried, so did I. I really have no idea with all the idiotic Homeland security laws we have now.

from the link provided by lil_freak_66 here is a quote.

"unless you are flying in a private aircraft"

"What does all this mean? Well, for the majority of people traveling on commercial aircraft, the ability to transport firearms on the aircraft is severely restricted. In almost all cases, "unless you are flying in a private aircraft", carrying firearms with you on an aircraft, either on your person or in your carry-on luggage, is prohibited."

So the lawyer says unless you are on a private aircraft, so one could assume it's okay as long as the pilot says so.

Read more: http://www.lawyerintl.com/law-articles/674-Carrying Firearms On Aircraft#ixzz0yTm7LRcu

Bush pilots carry all the time,so id assume its allowed somehow.

http://www.lawyerintl.com/law-articles/674-Carrying%20Firearms%20On%20Aircraft

appears private craft of certain sizes its legal,so long as you dont enter any sterile airport areas

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

I am glad that this question was asked. I am considering a Backpacking Trip to Isle Royale (in Lake Superior) this coming year. I have not been there since 1990 and want to go back badly. The quickest, easiest way there is to take the seaplane to Windigo and hike the Greenstone Ridge Trail back to Rock Harbor (more or less). I would be taking my firearm for protection (no bears, but wolves are there and moose are plentiful) and will have to check with the private airline.

Thanks Stainless1911!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Not authoritative but quite a coincidence...

Not authoritative but quite a coincidence...

http://www.nps.gov/isro/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Weapons restrictions aboard Concession Seaplane:
With regard to aircraft operated by an authorized National Park concessionaire, open and concealed carry of firearms aboard any aircraft is prohibited, except by law enforcement officers per FAA regulations. Visitors to Isle Royale National Park that fly aboard commercial aircraft, and have a concealed weapons permit recognized by the state of Michigan, and wish to transport their firearm to the island must receive prior approval from the pilot. If granted, the weapon will not accessible in the cabin of the aircraft, it will be transported in a locked case, broken down and unloaded and declared to the pilot.