Thread: Open Carry- Loaded/Unloaded

Open Carry- Loaded/Unloaded

Do some states require you to be unloaded if OC? I am wondering because in SC we carry concealed, but fully loaded.

Do any states allow OC/fully loaded?

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    In Alabama, no difference is made between loaded and unloaded carry. If you conceal an unloaded gun (or more likely have an unloaded gun in your car) you need a permit. If you want to carry open you may run into trouble from uninformed LEOs or antis, but it won't be because the weapon is loaded.

Poor California only allows unloaded open carry, from what I understand. The antis there fuss because the gun owners can have a loaded magazine in their pocket.

In CA where you have to carry unloaded, can you have the slide locked back and a loaded magazine at the ready, say in a holder on your off-side? If not, why wave it around to be taken from you? I can see it if ya can have a mag ready to slam in, slide-release, boom boom boom! Whatever I carried would have a nice beveled mag well and I would have a TON of practicing a quick load & fire!
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Ohio allows open carry with or without a permit and fully loaded, or concealed with a permit and fully loaded. I don't understand the States, that don't allow you to open carry with a loaded weapon. It might be difficult enough to draw a concealed or open weapon in a defensive situation. Now add in the problem of loading in a magazine, or speed-feeding a cylinder of an empty weapon.

Wisconsin is open carry without a permit. Nothing in our statues about loaded or unloaded carrying.

As most know, we have NO concealed carry!
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    And, further, in Wisconsin there is NO LOADED vehicle transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by o-Marine-o View Post
    Do some states require you to be unloaded if OC? I am wondering because in SC we carry concealed, but fully loaded.

In Vermont you can carry OC/CC a loaded handgun in your vehicle or on your person at any time. We have constitutional carry laws, although you may not carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle. Loaded is exactly what it means here, magazine +1 in the pipe, Revolvers all 6 chambers.
    Last edited by M1911a1lvr; 09-04-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Arizona allows OC loaded with "one in the pipe".

in maine you can opencarry fully loaded, and one in the pipe! i open carry, and conceal carry! when i opencarry havnt had any problem yet! CARRY ON!!

xd-over

It would be easier to list the places that do not permit loaded OC.

In PA you may carry loaded OC even without a permit/license.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Minnesota allows open and concealed carry with a loaded magazine and a chambered round.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -Thomas Jefferson

but

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evertz View Post
    Minnesota allows open and concealed carry with a loaded magazine and a chambered round.
    Only with a permit!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Only with a permit!
    Yes, yes, only with a permit.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -Thomas Jefferson

In California in incorporated areas or discharge prohibited areas in unicorporated territory it is illegal to have a loaded firearm. (PC12031).

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    Poor California only allows unloaded open carry, from what I understand. The antis there fuss because the gun owners can have a loaded magazine in their pocket.
    This is false. Loaded open carry is possible in areas outside of incorporated areas and where discharge of firearms has not been prohibited by local ordinance. There is bad case law that construes a concealed magazine as a concealed 'firearm' as it is considered integral to the operation of the firearm- so the magazines are openly carried like the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    In CA where you have to carry unloaded, can you have the slide locked back and a loaded magazine at the ready, say in a holder on your off-side? If not, why wave it around to be taken from you? I can see it if ya can have a mag ready to slam in, slide-release, boom boom boom! Whatever I carried would have a nice beveled mag well and I would have a TON of practicing a quick load & fire!
    Open carriers in incorporated areas in California will carry their unloaded pistol in a holster on one side, while carrying magazines or speed loaders of ammunition on the other. With a semi-auto, most will carry with an empty magazine in the well and the slide closed. Reload drills help pare the ready time to about 2-3 seconds, which is significantly better than not carrying at all.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Louisiana, Open Carry without a permit, Fully-loaded 15rd mag and one in the chamber. Draw, Pull, Bang.

Check the map. http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

The States in Gold allow loaded open carry, as for the rest? Some may have goofy laws in one County (Colorado), some might require a permit (such as Utah), or ban it outright (such as Texas).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.png 
Views:	493 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	3861  
    Last edited by Kevin Jensen; 09-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

In Mississippi, you can carry any way you desire in your car or on your property. To OC or CC in public, you must have a CC license. Go to the MS forum to find out how our laws are messed up.

In Michigan, sometimes the game laws in public hunting areas at times require unloaded carry in both the barrel and magazine without a license. The fix for this among 2 unlicensed people is to carry with the slides or bolts locked back, having the other person carrying their magazines.

Aside from a few quirky laws like that here and there, California is the only place stupid and racist enough to have the unloaded rule.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    In Michigan, sometimes the game laws in public hunting areas at times require unloaded carry in both the barrel and magazine without a license. The fix for this among 2 unlicensed people is to carry with the slides or bolts locked back, having the other person carrying their magazines.

Aside from a few quirky laws like that here and there, California is the only place stupid and racist enough to have the unloaded rule.
    This is a response best left for the state-specific forums, below. We don't want to mislead anyone..
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.