• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry- Loaded/Unloaded

o-Marine-o

Do some states require you to be unloaded if OC? I am wondering because in SC we carry concealed, but fully loaded.

Do any states allow OC/fully loaded?

Brimstone Baritone

In Alabama, no difference is made between loaded and unloaded carry. If you conceal an unloaded gun (or more likely have an unloaded gun in your car) you need a permit. If you want to carry open you may run into trouble from uninformed LEOs or antis, but it won't be because the weapon is loaded.

Poor California only allows unloaded open carry, from what I understand. The antis there fuss because the gun owners can have a loaded magazine in their pocket. :D

HeroHog

In CA where you have to carry unloaded, can you have the slide locked back and a loaded magazine at the ready, say in a holder on your off-side? If not, why wave it around to be taken from you? I can see it if ya can have a mag ready to slam in, slide-release, boom boom boom! Whatever I carried would have a nice beveled mag well and I would have a TON of practicing a quick load & fire!

D_Weezy

Ohio allows open carry with or without a permit and fully loaded, or concealed with a permit and fully loaded. I don't understand the States, that don't allow you to open carry with a loaded weapon. It might be difficult enough to draw a concealed or open weapon in a defensive situation. Now add in the problem of loading in a magazine, or speed-feeding a cylinder of an empty weapon.

M1911a1lvr

Do some states require you to be unloaded if OC? I am wondering because in SC we carry concealed, but fully loaded.

In Vermont you can carry OC/CC a loaded handgun in your vehicle or on your person at any time. We have constitutional carry laws, although you may not carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle. Loaded is exactly what it means here, magazine +1 in the pipe, Revolvers all 6 chambers.

Last edited:

GWbiker

Arizona allows OC loaded with "one in the pipe".

crdonov

in maine you can opencarry fully loaded, and one in the pipe! i open carry, and conceal carry! when i opencarry havnt had any problem yet! CARRY ON!!

xd-over

USMC1986

Minnesota allows open and concealed carry with a loaded magazine and a chambered round.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

In California in incorporated areas or discharge prohibited areas in unicorporated territory it is illegal to have a loaded firearm. (PC12031).

Poor California only allows unloaded open carry, from what I understand. The antis there fuss because the gun owners can have a loaded magazine in their pocket. :D

This is false. Loaded open carry is possible in areas outside of incorporated areas and where discharge of firearms has not been prohibited by local ordinance. There is bad case law that construes a concealed magazine as a concealed 'firearm' as it is considered integral to the operation of the firearm- so the magazines are openly carried like the pistol.

In CA where you have to carry unloaded, can you have the slide locked back and a loaded magazine at the ready, say in a holder on your off-side? If not, why wave it around to be taken from you? I can see it if ya can have a mag ready to slam in, slide-release, boom boom boom! Whatever I carried would have a nice beveled mag well and I would have a TON of practicing a quick load & fire!

Open carriers in incorporated areas in California will carry their unloaded pistol in a holster on one side, while carrying magazines or speed loaders of ammunition on the other. With a semi-auto, most will carry with an empty magazine in the well and the slide closed. Reload drills help pare the ready time to about 2-3 seconds, which is significantly better than not carrying at all.

DCKilla

In Mississippi, you can carry any way you desire in your car or on your property. To OC or CC in public, you must have a CC license. Go to the MS forum to find out how our laws are messed up.

Michigander

In Michigan, sometimes the game laws in public hunting areas at times require unloaded carry in both the barrel and magazine without a license. The fix for this among 2 unlicensed people is to carry with the slides or bolts locked back, having the other person carrying their magazines.

Aside from a few quirky laws like that here and there, California is the only place stupid and racist enough to have the unloaded rule.

since9

Campaign Veteran
In Michigan, sometimes the game laws in public hunting areas at times require unloaded carry in both the barrel and magazine without a license. The fix for this among 2 unlicensed people is to carry with the slides or bolts locked back, having the other person carrying their magazines.

Aside from a few quirky laws like that here and there, California is the only place stupid and racist enough to have the unloaded rule.

This is a response best left for the state-specific forums, below. We don't want to mislead anyone..