• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you wear the right holster when you OC?

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
Jimmy, please tell me what class you teach, so that I make sure not to attend. It's not a good idea to come on this board and call everyone who disagrees with you ignorant or stupid.

On behalf of "dipstick", I apologize to everyone for his behavior. Now, back to the to OP. My "opinion" has always been that if you are going to OC, that it's probably a good idea to have a good holster, one that doesn't flop around, some sort of retention or "push button" release.

Now with that being said, it is also in my opinion that the person OCing, should have the holster that they are comfortable with and one that works for their style. This may or may not be any holster with a retention. It's like when people ask me, whats a good gun or what gun should I get? I tell them, the best gun is the one that works best for you and one that you are comfortable with. My "best gun" isn't always going to be their "best gun", just as in what I think is a good holster may or may not work for someone else.

The OC'er has to take responsibility, maintain some sort of situational awareness, and OC the way they are comfortable with. I could go on and on, but my coffee is getting cold. Have a good day all, even you "dipstick".

Last edited:

GWbiker

The information in my OP is based on personal experience through <snip> military LEO service,

I believe this clearly explains Jimmy's condescending attitude.

Who here has ever had to deal with Military Police?

DragonLW

OK...now that most of the snark is out of everyones system (mine included... :) ) I'm going to take issue with the OP on the grounds that there is no *right* holster, and no *wrong* holster...

The selection of a holster is as much a personal preference as the selection of the firearm which we choose to carry. Some folks don't like the recoil of a .45...and choose to carry a .380 instead. They practice with it, dry fire it, practice their draw, etc...and become proficient in the handling of their chosen weapon. That being said, I would place a person who practices consisently and thoroughly with their KelTec or Ruger LCP up against a so-called RKBA proponent who has to carry the biggest baddest 1911 every day and has, maybe, shot a total of 100 rounds through it, any day of the week. And I dare say I would put my money on the guy (or gal) with the LCP every time, because they would outshoot the blowhard with the 1911 who spends more time polishing it than shooting it, and who worries about the amount of dust clinging to the innards of his holster that will make microscopic scratches on his slide that may bring the value of his firearm down from uber-super-mega-ultimate-mint to just mint, and loosing a whole dollar and a half in trade-in value...

The best holster for OC? Its the one that you use every day, practice with every day, and are aware of every day. Situational awareness is paramount when you carry, and having a holster that makes it difficult for someone to *snatch* the weapon from you when you aren't expecting it just means that you aren't paying attention to your surroundings...and if you are carrying and not paying as much attention as you should to what's going on around you, that in and of itself is epic FAIL. To depend on a holster to make up for your lack of situational awareness is a sad statement.

Last edited:

SIGguy229

Just proves there are a bunch of folks on this board that are ignorant to how to safely carry and haven't a clue as they would rather target others than engage in the conversation.

The information in my OP is based on personal experience through firearm instruction, military service, military LEO service, and a lot of hours logged on ranges shooting still and combat scenarios where I've had to personally deal with the issues or aid others with their issues of the Level I retention holster.

In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet that many of those on this board that use Level I holsters (and I do have them in my stable) don't ever check the retention screws to make sure they're not backing out. Wait, that's right...you folks would rather point out issues with others than admit that you fall in this category.

The crap on this board has made me start wondering how many of the members actually have dust bunnies nesting in their carry firearms or have them seated in holsters that will give that distinct "pop" when removed from the holster because they've been in there for months.

But again, I keep forgetting that so many on this board fail to train themselves properly. It's clearly illustrated by some of the foolish smarminess in responses. And that likely illustrates that the bulk of the membership here has absolutely no clue about weapon retention or what it even entails.

So go back to playing your fantasy football (it's D&D for those who bashed D&D players as kids, it just makes you more pathetic as an adult) and stay off my threads if you cannot constructively contribute.

Gee....you post something as if you are THE authority...and then generalize and stereotype your detractors. You sure know how to make an impression.

In my travels, I've learned that while you have your experience, there is someone else with equal or more experience. Your opinion is just that....and people will disagree with you. Accept it.

Conversely, I'd be willing to bet that most members here take care of their gear and use a holster they are comfortable OCing with, taking into account all safety and security considerations.

Enjoy.

sultan62

OK...now that most of the snark is out of everyones system (mine included... :) ) I'm going to take issue with the OP on the grounds that there is no *right* holster, and no *wrong* holster...

The selection of a holster is as much a personal preference as the selection of the firearm which we choose to carry. Some folks don't like the recoil of a .45...and choose to carry a .380 instead. They practice with it, dry fire it, practice their draw, etc...and become proficient in the handling of their chosen weapon. That being said, I would place a person who practices consisently and thoroughly with their KelTec or Ruger LCP up against a so-called RKBA proponent who has to carry the biggest baddest 1911 every day and has, maybe, shot a total of 100 rounds through it, any day of the week. And I dare say I would put my money on the guy (or gal) with the LCP every time, because they would outshoot the blowhard with the 1911 who spends more time polishing it than shooting it, and who worries about the amount of dust clinging to the innards of his holster that will make microscopic scratches on his slide that may bring the value of his firearm down from uber-super-mega-ultimate-mint to just mint, and loosing a whole dollar and a half in trade-in value...

The best holster for OC? Its the one that you use every day, practice with every day, and are aware of every day. Situational awareness is paramount when you carry, and having a holster that makes it difficult for someone to *snatch* the weapon from you when you aren't expecting it just means that you aren't paying attention to your surroundings...and if you are carrying and not paying as much attention as you should to what's going on around you, that in and of itself is epic FAIL. To depend on a holster to make up for your lack of situational awareness is a sad statement.

Nailed it.

That being said, for MY purposes, I think my level 2 is great. I like having the active retention. I also like carrying a .45 (Though I have shot it more than I've polished it.;)). I don't think that Level 2+ is somehow magical or required for OC.

sultan62

jimmy, maybe in your OP you shouldn't have spoken as though there is no room for disagreement? Your opinion is perfectly fine-and I happen to agree that I should carry a level 2 holster. In fact, I think it's a good idea for anyone to carry a level 2 (or higher) holster. Though I haven't timed my draw with and without level 2, I don't believe it slows me down at all. But that is MY opinion.

swinokur

Activist Member
retention holsters are very important for LEOS. They are much more apt to be the victim of an attempted gun grab than an OC'er. As stated, the best holster is the one you like and works best for you. There is no one size fits all. Depends on many variables, ie type of weapon, environment, location and climate to name a few.

MarineSgt

It seems to me that Jimmy was giving his OPINION based on his experiences in order to help someone else out. I don't think he came off as an "authority" on the subject. Hopefully his post will cause the reader to examine themselves and see if they are comfortable in the manner in which they carry.

I had an experience that caused me to always carry one in the chamber... If I recommended that everyone else carry that way would you rip on me too?

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

if you know so much about what holster should be used for OC you should inform people of your knowledge instead of using it to complain about others with less experience then yourself.

swinokur

Activist Member
I had an experience that caused me to always carry one in the chamber... If I recommended that everyone else carry that way would you rip on me too?

If you came across as a pompous know it all-most assuredly yes. Everyone should read their post before sending it to see how it might be perceived by others. If your intent is to come off as condescending know it all expert and you post it that way-be prepared for the responses you get. People for the most part expect to be talked to, not down to. Not everyone is a noob.Huge difference IMO. YMMV

Mr H

Jimmy, please tell me what class you teach, so that I make sure not to attend. It's not a good idea to come on this board and call everyone who disagrees with you ignorant or stupid.

On behalf of "dipstick", I apologize to everyone for his behavior. Now, back to the to OP. My "opinion" has always been that if you are going to OC, that it's probably a good idea to have a good holster, one that doesn't flop around, some sort of retention or "push button" release.

Now with that being said, it is also in my opinion that the person OCing, should have the holster that they are comfortable with and one that works for their style. This may or may not be any holster with a retention. It's like when people ask me, whats a good gun or what gun should I get? I tell them, the best gun is the one that works best for you and one that you are comfortable with. My "best gun" isn't always going to be their "best gun", just as in what I think is a good holster may or may not work for someone else.

The OC'er has to take responsibility, maintain some sort of situational awareness, and OC the way they are comfortable with. I could go on and on, but my coffee is getting cold. Have a good day all, even you "dipstick".

FINALLY!!!

A response suitable for Mr. JQ Public!

IMO, any holster that is so complex that someone can't get to their weapon, or doesn't provide them the opportunity for confidence with it, is completely useless.

Conversely, any rig that is too simple, and the carrier is not experienced enough to have the "protective" awareness or their weapon, is a disaster waiting to happen.

Personally, I would hope folks could find that "happy medium", where they train themselves into that comfort with a holster that suits their anticipated need.

The OP, while containing good information, seems to be skewed toward carry in "worst case" areas and situations, where you need higher-level retention and near-military skirmish training... Vaulable to some, but not to Good Old JQP.