• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question regarding carrying on school grounds

joejoejoe

Say my wife wants to take the dog to the school yard to get them some exercise and it is after school hours (like 9PM at night), can she carry there? It is not on school grounds (i.e. in the buildings or even in the parking lot), it is just the area where they do track and stuff.

Joe~

joejoejoe

Also, I have a question about college campuses. WSU Vancouver bans the possession of firearms. It is a WAC (Washington Administrative Code) that firearms are not allowed on WSU campuses. I don't seem to understand what happens when you are caught breaking that code. Are you breaking the law and are subject to criminal charges or are you just breaking campus code and are subject to the campus's punishment?

Joe~

END_THE_FED

IIRC There is no carry allowed on school property unless you have a CPL AND you are picking up or dropping off a student.

Are you sure the field is actually school property? it might be a city or county park. My highschool did track and field stuff in a park next to the school. The park looked like it was part of the school property but it was actually a county park.

Keep in mind however that it may still be considered "school grounds" during the time that the school is using it.

END_THE_FED

Also, I have a question about college campuses. WSU Vancouver bans the possession of firearms. It is a WAC (Washington Administrative Code) that firearms are not allowed on WSU campuses. I don't seem to understand what happens when you are caught breaking that code. Are you breaking the law and are subject to criminal charges or are you just breaking campus code and are subject to the campus's punishment?

Joe~

You are only breaking school rules

END_THE_FED

when the track and field area is NOT being used for school activities
it is not prohibited . i am sure it would be lawful, unless theyre having a meet!

If the track and field area is school property then it IS prohibited wether it is in use or not.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

The "areas of facilities while being used" part refers to areas that are not part of the school property but are being used for a school event. Such as a meeting room in a library that is hosting a spelling bee.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
when the track and field area is NOT being used for school activities
it is not prohibited . i am sure it would be lawful, unless they're having a meet!

Good luck on that interpretation and if noticed will likely have a court date.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

Note the bolded area, or areas of facilities this means such as a stadium or venues being held by a school, has nothing to do with school grounds as the will be off limits.

There is a provision to carry while dropping off or picking up a student but not outside of that.

Nosrac

Note the bolded area, or areas of facilities this means such as a stadium or venues being held by a school, has nothing to do with school grounds as the will be off limits.

There is a provision to carry while dropping off or picking up a student but not outside of that.

Why does this code include private schools when they located on private property? Shouldn't it be up to the private school how to address firearms on their own property?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Also, don't forget, without a Washington CPL (for a school located in Washington) the 1000' Federal prohibition applies.

Yep, although I haven't heard one case were any WA LEO have prosecuted for this.
This federal law needs to go it is unconstitutional, how does this effect interstate commerce.

joejoejoe

My private property (my house) is less than 100 yards from the school. Not sure how that applies to the 1000' rule. So the overall consensus is NO I cannot carry in the yard after school hours?

Also, NO I will not be criminally charged if caught carrying on college grounds?

Joe~

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Why does this code include private schools when they located on private property? Shouldn't it be up to the private school how to address firearms on their own property?

Why? because the legislature encompassed Public and Private together in the RCW is the only answer I have.

Bob Warden

When I famously carried into the SW Seattle Community Center last November, I was no more than 50 yards from both Chief Sealth High School and Denny Middle School. In light of Heller / McDonald, it's pretty clear to me that the 1000' rule would be held unconstitutional if enforced.

Last edited:

Lammo

Joe~

I have not researched this in any depth but I do not believe these rules can be applied to someone who is not a student, faculty member or employee. These provisions are generally found in the student conduct code, e.g., WAC 478-120-020 for the UW. The WAC on the UW also purports to apply a similar restriction to "members of the university community". WAC 478-124-010 & 020. The most they could do to a non-student is trespass them. WAC 478-124-030.

I don't know about any of you but I'm a Bulldog and definitely not a member of any Husky "university community". GO ZAGS!!!!!

Lammo

Well it's WSU not UW. WSU are cougars... Also, I am a student :)

Joe~

Ran across the UW section of the WAC before I could find the one for WSU. Suspect it's the same/similar language with different numbers. As a student I think you are stuck, unless you want to risk expulsion. Sorry. :-(

amlevin

I have not researched this in any depth but I do not believe these rules can be applied to someone who is not a student, faculty member or employee. These provisions are generally found in the student conduct code, e.g., WAC 478-120-020 for the UW. The WAC on the UW also purports to apply a similar restriction to "members of the university community". WAC 478-124-010 & 020. The most they could do to a non-student is trespass them. WAC 478-124-030.

I don't know about any of you but I'm a Bulldog and definitely not a member of any Husky "university community". GO ZAGS!!!!!

(from Washington State Legislature web site)
"Washington Administrative Code (WAC) — Regulations of executive branch agencies are issued by authority of statutes. Like legislation and the Constitution, regulations are a source of primary law in Washington State. The WAC codifies the regulations and arranges them by subject or agency. "

Wouldn't a WAC, being a souce of primary law, have the weight of law?

Last edited:

joejoejoe

That's what I was wondering amlevin, but the disciplinary actions only say it is up to the school administration.

Joe~

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You can conceal.

You can open carry an empty holtser.
You can start a chapter for carry on campus.
You can seek written permission from the campus President.

Lot's of choices. There are groups around the U.S. for CC on campus. There are states that allow carry. (Utah)

I suggest you form a plan of action before commiting to one or more avenues, as when you do seek permission or carry an empty holster your option to CC may be endangered.

Well it's WSU not UW. WSU are cougars... Also, I am a student :)

Joe~