Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Idle...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4

    Idle...

    Is there anything being done in persuit of our common goal? Am I missing it? It seems we're getting no where in having fs. 790.053 removed from our books.

    What are we lacking? Bodies? Money? Advertisement? Basic Motivation? Attorneys? What?

    I for one would appreciate the mutiple changes (some potentially) that will accompany OC. I DON'T want to watch this happen from a gerry-chair in a nurseing home when both my newly installed hipps won't support the weight of my finely manufactured Para Warthog anymore.

    What do we need to go hot?
    Last edited by sapper001; 09-03-2010 at 11:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper001 View Post
    Is there anything being done in persuit of our common goal? Am I missing it? It seems we're getting no where in having fs. 790.053 removed from our books.

    What are we lacking? Bodies? Money? Advertisement? Basic Motivation? Attorneys? What?

    I for one would appreciate the mutiple changes (some potentially) that will accompany OC. I DON'T want to watch this happen from a gerry-chair in a nurseing home when both my newly installed hipps won't support the weight of my finely manufactured Para Warthog anymore.

    What do we need to go hot?
    Standing. Attorney. Money - lots of it!

  3. #3
    Regular Member confedneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    47
    is there a fund set up to make donations? Every dollar helps!

  4. #4
    Regular Member Rich7553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    516
    My guess is that until the elections are over in November, politicians are reluctant to put their neck out. Also, they're watching to see what happens in other states as the 2A wave washes across the country thanks to the SCOTUS decision.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the responces.

    Sapper001, out.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran StogieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    746
    Actually there is quite a bit going on.
    Currently we are working on building up support within the community and are holding open carry fishing events as public fishing venues. We've had a few in Daytona and are planning more in Tampa, Orlando, Melbourne, and Jacksonville.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    Actually there is quite a bit going on.
    Currently we are working on building up support within the community and are holding open carry fishing events as public fishing venues. We've had a few in Daytona and are planning more in Tampa, Orlando, Melbourne, and Jacksonville.
    Thanks. I'll be looking for the one in the Jax area.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia & Tampa
    Posts
    91
    Sadly nothing will ever happen with this.

    You and I and a whole bunch of people would like this changed in Florida but its not going to happen because there is not enough support for people to have the motivation to do things the right way to have the laws changed.

    I have said this in the forums before. The RIGHT way is to go out with a group with petitions and get verified signatures (making sure it is who it is) from FL registered voters (verifying with the counties of their residence they are registered to vote). Until I see someone try and put together a group to do this its hopeless. These "Open Carry Fishing Events" raise public awareness and I am all for that. Its not going to get a law changed.

    Seems in Florida a child gets bullied in school and a mom can change things in Tallahassee but people that support guns and open carry can't rally enough people to get this done. Amazing.

  9. #9
    ccloud43
    Guest

    New here

    Hello all, I have recently moved back to FL from Va. I live in the Orlando area. In Va we had an organization called Virginia Citizens Defense League or VCDL for short. I was involved with that before moving down here so I have a couple of questions.
    Is there an organization like VCDL here in FL? Does FL have a day where groups can go to Talahassee and talk to our representatives? Va has a Lobby Day on MLK day where groups can go to Richmond and talk to reps. VCDL would show up with over 600 people every year.
    Just a couple to start with but im sure I will have more.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran StogieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by ccloud43 View Post
    Hello all, I have recently moved back to FL from Va. I live in the Orlando area. In Va we had an organization called Virginia Citizens Defense League or VCDL for short. I was involved with that before moving down here so I have a couple of questions.
    Is there an organization like VCDL here in FL? Does FL have a day where groups can go to Talahassee and talk to our representatives? Va has a Lobby Day on MLK day where groups can go to Richmond and talk to reps. VCDL would show up with over 600 people every year.
    Just a couple to start with but im sure I will have more.
    Welcome back to FL!

    There are some state clubs but nothing like or on the scale of the VCDL.
    Right now, Florida Open-Carry.org is the only group actively working on Open Carry issues in the state. We also do a lot of work on state firearms law preemption issues.
    The group on http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/ is very active in working on CCW issues and preemption issues.
    The Unified Sportsmen of Florida is the group for NRA's state lobbyist Marion Hammer. She is a past president of the NRA and is the lady who made Shall Issue permitting happen here in 1987. That's the same year we lost open carry.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by thejax View Post
    Sadly nothing will ever happen with this.

    You and I and a whole bunch of people would like this changed in Florida but its not going to happen because there is not enough support for people to have the motivation to do things the right way to have the laws changed.

    I have said this in the forums before. The RIGHT way is to go out with a group with petitions and get verified signatures (making sure it is who it is) from FL registered voters (verifying with the counties of their residence they are registered to vote). Until I see someone try and put together a group to do this its hopeless. These "Open Carry Fishing Events" raise public awareness and I am all for that. Its not going to get a law changed.

    Seems in Florida a child gets bullied in school and a mom can change things in Tallahassee but people that support guns and open carry can't rally enough people to get this done. Amazing.
    I have to agree with this analysis, thought I tend to be far less pleasant about it.

    Florida was the first CC State; being a special only-one of the State is an elitism that runs deep. It is an entrenched arrogance that I strongly doubt will ever be quenched. So-called 'Rights' are only for those who can buy them. Everyone else should just be happy that they haven't been executed, yet.

    In spite of the words I have had with others here, I'd be glad to back any effort with what little I have to offer. Still looking for something more substantial than boot-licking and good ol' boys' back-slapping to offer that support to.

    I <3 Arizona.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ocoee, Florida
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    Actually there is quite a bit going on.
    Currently we are working on building up support within the community and are holding open carry fishing events as public fishing venues. We've had a few in Daytona and are planning more in Tampa, Orlando, Melbourne, and Jacksonville.
    I missed the one near Daytona and look forward to another event so I can participate but I really would like you to post the pictures and writeup you promised in the other thread.

    Any chance you will do that soon?

    Keep up the good work.

    Ironside

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran StogieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    746
    Being at the pier under the bridge kept the rain and sun off of us. The pier was quite crowded but nobody appeared to be even the least bit uncomfortable with open carry. Kids, men, women, and even someone's friendly dog were nothing but smiling faces and one wagging tail.

    Here's some pictures: http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Open-C...hotos/1017183/

    The weather kept attendance lower than the month prior, down to 5 from 15 before.
    Hope to have better weather and a larger turn out next time.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ocoee, Florida
    Posts
    101
    Thanks for the pics! Let us know when there is another event scheduled. It is good to put some faces with the movement.

    Ironside

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •