• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idle...

sapper001

Is there anything being done in persuit of our common goal? Am I missing it? It seems we're getting no where in having fs. 790.053 removed from our books.

What are we lacking? Bodies? Money? Advertisement? Basic Motivation? Attorneys? What?

I for one would appreciate the mutiple changes (some potentially) that will accompany OC. I DON'T want to watch this happen from a gerry-chair in a nurseing home when both my newly installed hipps won't support the weight of my finely manufactured Para Warthog anymore.

What do we need to go hot?

Last edited:

brboyer

Is there anything being done in persuit of our common goal? Am I missing it? It seems we're getting no where in having fs. 790.053 removed from our books.

What are we lacking? Bodies? Money? Advertisement? Basic Motivation? Attorneys? What?

I for one would appreciate the mutiple changes (some potentially) that will accompany OC. I DON'T want to watch this happen from a gerry-chair in a nurseing home when both my newly installed hipps won't support the weight of my finely manufactured Para Warthog anymore.

What do we need to go hot?

Standing. Attorney. Money - lots of it!

Rich7553

My guess is that until the elections are over in November, politicians are reluctant to put their neck out. Also, they're watching to see what happens in other states as the 2A wave washes across the country thanks to the SCOTUS decision.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Actually there is quite a bit going on.
Currently we are working on building up support within the community and are holding open carry fishing events as public fishing venues. We've had a few in Daytona and are planning more in Tampa, Orlando, Melbourne, and Jacksonville.

sapper001

Currently we are working on building up support within the community and are holding open carry fishing events as public fishing venues. We've had a few in Daytona and are planning more in Tampa, Orlando, Melbourne, and Jacksonville.

Thanks. I'll be looking for the one in the Jax area.

thejax

Sadly nothing will ever happen with this.

You and I and a whole bunch of people would like this changed in Florida but its not going to happen because there is not enough support for people to have the motivation to do things the right way to have the laws changed.

I have said this in the forums before. The RIGHT way is to go out with a group with petitions and get verified signatures (making sure it is who it is) from FL registered voters (verifying with the counties of their residence they are registered to vote). Until I see someone try and put together a group to do this its hopeless. These "Open Carry Fishing Events" raise public awareness and I am all for that. Its not going to get a law changed.

Seems in Florida a child gets bullied in school and a mom can change things in Tallahassee but people that support guns and open carry can't rally enough people to get this done. Amazing.

C

ccloud43

New here

Hello all, I have recently moved back to FL from Va. I live in the Orlando area. In Va we had an organization called Virginia Citizens Defense League or VCDL for short. I was involved with that before moving down here so I have a couple of questions.
Is there an organization like VCDL here in FL? Does FL have a day where groups can go to Talahassee and talk to our representatives? Va has a Lobby Day on MLK day where groups can go to Richmond and talk to reps. VCDL would show up with over 600 people every year.
Just a couple to start with but im sure I will have more.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Hello all, I have recently moved back to FL from Va. I live in the Orlando area. In Va we had an organization called Virginia Citizens Defense League or VCDL for short. I was involved with that before moving down here so I have a couple of questions.
Is there an organization like VCDL here in FL? Does FL have a day where groups can go to Talahassee and talk to our representatives? Va has a Lobby Day on MLK day where groups can go to Richmond and talk to reps. VCDL would show up with over 600 people every year.
Just a couple to start with but im sure I will have more.

Welcome back to FL!

There are some state clubs but nothing like or on the scale of the VCDL.
Right now, Florida Open-Carry.org is the only group actively working on Open Carry issues in the state. We also do a lot of work on state firearms law preemption issues.
The group on http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/ is very active in working on CCW issues and preemption issues.
The Unified Sportsmen of Florida is the group for NRA's state lobbyist Marion Hammer. She is a past president of the NRA and is the lady who made Shall Issue permitting happen here in 1987. That's the same year we lost open carry.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Sadly nothing will ever happen with this.

You and I and a whole bunch of people would like this changed in Florida but its not going to happen because there is not enough support for people to have the motivation to do things the right way to have the laws changed.

I have said this in the forums before. The RIGHT way is to go out with a group with petitions and get verified signatures (making sure it is who it is) from FL registered voters (verifying with the counties of their residence they are registered to vote). Until I see someone try and put together a group to do this its hopeless. These "Open Carry Fishing Events" raise public awareness and I am all for that. Its not going to get a law changed.

Seems in Florida a child gets bullied in school and a mom can change things in Tallahassee but people that support guns and open carry can't rally enough people to get this done. Amazing.

I have to agree with this analysis, thought I tend to be far less pleasant about it.

Florida was the first CC State; being a special only-one of the State is an elitism that runs deep. It is an entrenched arrogance that I strongly doubt will ever be quenched. So-called 'Rights' are only for those who can buy them. Everyone else should just be happy that they haven't been executed, yet.

In spite of the words I have had with others here, I'd be glad to back any effort with what little I have to offer. Still looking for something more substantial than boot-licking and good ol' boys' back-slapping to offer that support to.

I <3 Arizona.

Ironside

I missed the one near Daytona and look forward to another event so I can participate but I really would like you to post the pictures and writeup you promised in the other thread.

Any chance you will do that soon?

Keep up the good work.

Ironside

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Being at the pier under the bridge kept the rain and sun off of us. The pier was quite crowded but nobody appeared to be even the least bit uncomfortable with open carry. Kids, men, women, and even someone's friendly dog were nothing but smiling faces and one wagging tail.

Here's some pictures: http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Open-Carry/photos/1017183/

The weather kept attendance lower than the month prior, down to 5 from 15 before.
Hope to have better weather and a larger turn out next time.

Ironside

Thanks for the pics! Let us know when there is another event scheduled. It is good to put some faces with the movement.

Ironside