• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulaski, VA Town Ordinance - can they do this????

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
6a00e553e29d1d883401156f4f7ff0970c-320wi

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Put a fork in this one, folks. It's done and I don't think the OP wants to confront his friendly Fire Marshal with the errors and inconsistencies.

Let it go as another urban myth busted.

stay safe.

simmonsjoe

I know we EMT's can't open carry while were on duty because sometimes we have to go to jails and whenever we go to hospitals we would have to leave it behind in the ambulance, which is always running, and unlocked.
There is no law against CCing a firearms in a hospital.
As for the jail, en-route lock it in the drug box.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Cops are not trained on what is legal, they are trained on what is illegal. Often that can lead to stupid choices when cops get the wrong mentality. By wrong mentality I mean, they start thinking WHY instead of WHY NOT. Anything they don't see a reason for, or is outside of what they consider normal, becomes illegal by default. Obviously backwards, but it is a common problem I find when interacting with police (or non-leo). Even in positive interactions.

Excellent point. Very well stated.

darthmord

The funny thing about concealed carry... if the firearm isn't being moved about in concealed carry mode, it can only be in transport or open carry mode.

The modes of movement are rather exclusionary. If it ain't concealed (because it's visible) it's gotta be in open carry mode.

If you think about it, there is no such animal as a visible concealed carry firearm. If you can see it directly, it's not concealed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There is no law against CCing a firearms in a hospital.
As for the jail, en-route lock it in the drug box.

Agreed, there are no laws regarding CC in hospitals.

However, there are local, state and national regulations, professional rules, and employer rules that get in the way of EMT/paramedics/first responders/firefighters etc. carrying on the job. Just as there are policies in hospitals about private citizens carrying OC or CC on the premises.

If you, personally, want to risk your employment status by carrying when faced with rules/regs/policies that say NO, then go ahead. But it seems a bit reckless to be encouraging someone else to risk their job and their future employment/employability. Losing national certification over an issue like carrying OTJ is likely to cause you to learn how to say "Do you want fries with that?" in several languages.

As for locking your firearm in the drug box before you go in the jail - how will that help if you are carrying the drug box in with you? Or if you end up transporting a jail inmate and have to access the box while enroute.

Sorry, Joe, but there are a fairly sizeable number of folks who have to make decisions every day about either standing flat-footed for their rights or earning a living.

stay safe.