• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Louisville Costco.....

KyTruckPlant

I took my Excursion into Costco today to get the tires balanced and rotated. After I shopped around a bit, I sat and had a slice of pizza and a drink while I waited for the truck to get done. I was approached by an employee who asked if I was a police officer. I politely informed I was not. He then told me that I would have to take my pistol out to the car because Costco does not allow pistols in their stores. I politely informed that upon entering the store, I saw no signs that inform the public of this, and I was not aware of that policy. I was told "additionally, that under Ky law, brandishing a firearm in public was against the law and you could be arrested." I informed the young man that I was NOT brandishing my sidearm, I was however legally carrying my sidearm openly, which IS allowed by Ky laws. I informed him that my truck was in their service center and I was unable to put my sidearm in there until they finished with it, and then asked if he would have me stand outside the store until it was ready, and would I be allowed back into the store to finish up the paperwork before I left. They graciously allowed me to stay until it was ready (can you feel the sarcasm in that statement?). As I left I called the HQ and and was forwarded the following email.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

My membership expires in Oct anyway, but just maybe I will get my refund a week before it expires......

flb_78

Good reason to shop at Sam's instead. Ive never been in a Costco, but I do like the CEO's idea of a warehouse club but I will never be a member though because of their antigun views. Be glad you weren't in Nevada. The police would have shot and murdered you and then covered up the evidence as in the case of Erik Scott.

trooper46

Good reason to shop at Sam's instead. Ive never been in a Costco, but I do like the CEO's idea of a warehouse club but I will never be a member though because of their antigun views. Be glad you weren't in Nevada. The police would have shot and murdered you and then covered up the evidence as in the case of Erik Scott.

It's a bit premature to throw those accusations around just yet there skippy. There are conflicting witnesses on both sides and not all the details have been released as of yet. It's hardly an open shut case that you can just automatically draw that conclusion without first letting the investigation complete. Some people say he went for his gun, some people say he didn't. We won't know the truth until all of the evidence is in.

mark-in-texas

1. Request membership refund as offered.
2. Shred card and send to president of company!
3. Shop elsewhere.
4. Send him copies of reciepts from Costco competitors with 'This is how much your policy costs!'

tletourneau

Sam's Club is part of Walmart and follows the same "policies" for OC. If it's legal where the store is it's OK with them. That's not to say that you won't potentially run into an employee that doesn't know the policy but in general I haven't had any problems at out local Sam's Club. On one occasion I had a person in the bakery department tell me I had to conceal to carry legally and on another I had the receipt checker tell me that it was illegal for anyone but a LEO to open carry even with a permit. Each time the Manager on Duty cleared it up and upheld corporate policy.

At least that's been my experience at Sam's Club.

Last edited:

KBCraig

1. It's long been established that Costco has a no-guns policy. Anyone waiting for "more clarification" or "the other side of the story" should be sentence to Google School until they find the documentation.

2. That was a brilliant way of making the point: put your vehicle in for service, so that you can't put your gun in your vehicle, without your gun being in Costco. Bravo, Sir!