• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF says not to sell guns to Hispanics.

eye95

Isn't it against the law to racialy or sexualy profile??

We have become a nation of men, and not of laws.

Let's throw as many of President Obama's followers out of office as we can in 2010, and the rest in 2012.

Elections have consequences.

sudden valley gunner

We have become a nation of men, and not of laws.

Let's throw as many of President Obama's followers out of office as we can in 2010, and the rest in 2012.

Elections have consequences.

Let's throw as many (R)'s out too and fill it with folks who believe in the constitution and liberty.

rodbender

I want to know why the goofball judge didn't throw out the conviction and find him not guilty. It's quite apparent that he had no intention of selling to a prohibited person. He did check for Texas residency proof. His Texas driver's license should have done the trick.

I also wonder if maybe the BATFE didn't help him to acquire a Texas driver's license so they could actually pull off the sting.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Let's throw as many (R)'s out too and fill it with folks who believe in the constitution and liberty.

The R's swept the elections in 2002, all running on "right wing" platforms. Then they blew off those principles, and no one paid attention. Then here comes Obozo and his pinko circus in 2008 promising "moderation". What is truly astounding is that anyone believed it in the first place, but I certainly hope that THIS TIME, when the R's sweep the elections that they're held to those principles. I hope people continue to pay attention throught the election cycles and dump any politician who says one thing, then does another.

The republican party would not have lost in 2006 or 2008 if they actually stood for the principles they ran on. The Dems ran on those same issues, remember all the howling and gnashing of teeth over the deficit, the patriot act, and out of control spending? Notice NONE of it went away if it didn't get worse?

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I want to know why the goofball judge didn't throw out the conviction and find him not guilty. It's quite apparent that he had no intention of selling to a prohibited person. He did check for Texas residency proof. His Texas driver's license should have done the trick.

I also wonder if maybe the BATFE didn't help him to acquire a Texas driver's license so they could actually pull off the sting.

Sounds kind of conspiritorial, but not too far fetched. One thing is for certain, only in Travis County could you find a jury VAPID enough to entertain the DA's case.

PT111

A slightly different version of this story.

https://www.tsra.com/index.php?opti...gun-show-chaos&catid=55:tripp-talk&Itemid=113

A snippet of the article.

On Saturday Gun Show attendees were met at the door with a handbill giving the same information, anyone without an FFL wanting to sell or trade a firearm must do so through an FFL. Vendors and attendees were angry, as you can imagine.
C.B. Copeland usually had a table at this show, he did not have an FFL and only bought and sold a few handguns from his collection and other gun-related stuff. Mr. Copeland admits he knew this gun show was under close scrutiny.
On Saturday three young Hispanic men came by Mr. Copeland's table and asked about a handgun. One wanted to make a purchase and Mr. Copeland asked him if he had identification. The intended purchaser did not, although one in the group produced a Texas driver's license. The three moved on.
Three times the three young man came by the table and on the third pass, the young man with the driver's license, produced the cash, and bought the handgun. Evidently the gun was passed off, almost immediately, inside or outside the building, to another of the three. This man, not only had no identification, he was an illegal alien.
The three were arrested and officers came to Mr. Copeland's table and confiscated his firearm. I received a text message and then a cell phone call from a TSRA member standing at the table as it happened.

Thundar

A slightly different version of this story.

https://www.tsra.com/index.php?opti...gun-show-chaos&catid=55:tripp-talk&Itemid=113

A snippet of the article.

This seems more believeable. Not because of the BATFE, which has confirmed perjurors amongst its ranks, but because I would find it absolutely impossible for a jury to convict based upon the original story.

Straw purchases are very difficult to defend against. Did anyone else notice that the "knowingly" is translated into "should have known". What a crock.

eye95

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Straw purchases are very difficult to defend against. Did anyone else notice that the "knowingly" is translated into "should have known". What a crock.
Good point. Beware the evil paradigm of consideration, then expectation, that becomes requirement. Consider that your purchaser may be a straw buyer, becomes the expectation that the seller not sell to a questionable person, which becomes the requirement that only FFLs sell guns.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the link. This is a much more believable scenario. More details would still be needed to convince me that the man knowingly sold to an illegal. For example, what was said between the seller and buyer that might have left the impression that the deal was a straw purchase?

Now I'm much more inclined to believe the ATF story. This account indicates the trio came by three times, and it was only on the third pass he sold to someone other than the one who originally indicated a desire to buy. That in itself is suspicious.

If in fact the illegal alien was permitted to go free, that's a separate injustice, but not related to a straw purchase, in which Mr. Copeland may well have participated.

Axctal

Just post a sign saying -
"No sell to hispanics or blacks (might be illegals or felons)"

Hmmm ... interesting possibilities.

okboomer

Hmmm, IIRC, it was an adult female friend who purchased one (or more) of the guns the brats used at Columbine ... a straw purchase if I ever heard of one ... oh, but I resemble that remark as I buy guns as gifts every so often. And the ones I gave my daughter have not been 'properly' transferred (according to BATF) rules, but she does still live in the same house with me.

I sure hope Copeland has the funds to pursue this through the Supreme Court in Texas. But it will still be in Austin, won't it?

Another example of how a law abiding citizen should fear our government.

rodbender

And the ones I gave my daughter have not been 'properly' transferred (according to BATF) rules, but she does still live in the same house with me.

I sure hope Copeland has the funds to pursue this through the Supreme Court in Texas. But it will still be in Austin, won't it?

You don't need to transfer ownership, not federally. A gift is not considered a straw purchase.

He was tried under federal law in federal court. The Texas Supreme Court will not be involved.

I know someone in Bastrop that knows this guy. According to him this guy was pretty much a dealer (and an A-hole) as he was operating like a business and making plenty of money. The BATFE has been for a while trying to get him to get an FFL. He refused and told them to shove it. One thing I don't like is that he heard (and I don't know how true it is and neither does he) the arresting BATFE agent was seen talking to the illegal in the parking lot before the show opened. HMMM!!

Was it a setup? I think probably. The BATFE don't like being told to put stuff where the sun never shines.

KBCraig

Hmmm, IIRC, it was an adult female friend who purchased one (or more) of the guns the brats used at Columbine ... a straw purchase if I ever heard of one ... oh, but I resemble that remark as I buy guns as gifts every so often. And the ones I gave my daughter have not been 'properly' transferred (according to BATF) rules, but she does still live in the same house with me.
There's no such thing as a proper in-state transfer per BATF rules. There are no rules at all, so long as the transferee is not a prohibited person and the transfer is not part of a straw purchase. Other than that, you can give, sell, or trade any of your guns to anyone who lives in your state.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?!?! This actually happened?

Why am I surprised? I suppose it is my own fault... Is there anything else in the world so twisted and evil as our current government? If there is, I can't find it.

Jack House

ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?!?! This actually happened?

Why am I surprised? I suppose it is my own fault... Is there anything else in the world so twisted and evil as our current government? If there is, I can't find it.
The English government.

PT111

I found this ruling on the motion by Mr. Copeland to suppress the evidence and his arrest. It pretty much details what actually happened. I will not dedate the law against about straw purchases or what should or should not be legal in this instance but there is no doubt that this was a straw purchase. Eveyone involved knew it was a straw purchase and definately illegal. As to what happened to the other fellows involved in it I do not know but would like to. If you read the first few pages of this order you see what happened. Seems that one fellow picked out the gun, made the deal with Mr. Copeland and pulled out the money to pay for it. When Mr. Copeland asked for ID he couldn't produce any so his friend pulled out a DL and the first fellow handed the money to him. He then handed the money to Mr. Copeland and then handed the gun to the first fellow.

All the other BS about this is just that, smoke screen to cover what actually happened.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/221...rruled-pdf-september-5-2010-1-15-pm-599k?da=y