• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Prohibited On New Legacy Trail In Lexington.

mellio

The new Legacy Trail in Lexington is not even open yet and all ready posting no carry rules on their web site. I don't see how they can ban CC when it's not in a government owned building. It's a 12 mile open trail, some of which is on open streets ! Seems wierd they only say no CC. Usually they say no firearms at all . Maybe their relying on the made up ordinance that prohibits OC in Lexington to take care of open carrying. I would think they would rather people cover thier weapons so as not to "scare" anyone.

http://www.mylegacytrail.com/images/map.pdf

mellio

I'm on it!

I kinda thought you would be. From your writings I've seen in the past and the results you have gotten I think you are way better at communcating the point than I ever would be. Thank you for your diligence . Your work and effort on these matters are appreciated.
Mellio

langzaiguy

Haha yeah I enjoy putting the government in its place. It's obnoxious sometimes how they think they can legislate whatever they want to. This round might be tricky, however. Funding comes from federal, state, and local money--so in that sense, it's gov't property. I believe that some of the land is owned by private entity that have donated easements to the property--if it's a public easement--like most sidewalks are, then I don't believe they can pass this rule. I think another section of the trail is on UK property. I think in that case, UK could put up signs banning weapons from their section on the trail. That would be a UK thing, not a gov't thing. Overall, I'm pretty optimistic.

langzaiguy

Ok, got a response.

Email 1:
"I wish I know where you saw the proposed language for the Legacy Trail.

We have no intention of having any language relating to firearms on the 'trail rules' signs for citizen use."

I then emailed him the link found in this thread. Email 2:

"This needs to get corrected pronto."

The director seems like a great, well meaning guy. I think he's retired Navy. We all need to make sure that this policy is actually changed. I have no reason to believe he's lying, but it's always good to make sure our leaders follow through. Imagine that, me distrusting of the government :)

Liberty4Ever

Seems weird they only say no CC. Usually they say no firearms at all.
I suspect they only attempt to regulate CC because I already busted their chops on the Lexington parks and the libraries (two separate occasions) and explained to them in no uncertain terms that the LFUCG cannot in any way regulate open carry.

The director seems like a great, well meaning guy. I think he's retired Navy.
I bet you're dealing with the guy who was the Director of Parks & Recreation that I talked to about their No Firearms In The Park rule. I'll preserve his privacy and not post his name.