Thread: Vancouver Mom scares off attacker with 9mm

Vancouver Mom scares off attacker with 9mm

Perhaps open carry would of detered this thug!

Story

Woman uses gun scare off robber at Izzy's in Hazel Dell

Sheriff's deputies quickly arrest suspect

By John Branton
    Columbian Staff Reporter
    Friday, September 3, 2010

A woman who emerged from Izzy's Pizza in Hazel Dell with her 5-year-old son, and was confronted by a would-be robber, displayed her 9 mm pistol, scared the man off and then helped sheriff’s deputies find him, police say.
    Deputies rushed to the restaurant at 1503 N.E. 78th St. shortly before 8 p.m. Friday after the woman called 911, said Sgt. John Horch with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.
    The woman, a 30-year-old Clark County resident, told dispatchers she’d walked out of the restaurant to her car when a man approached and asked her to lend him money for gas.
    When she declined, the man asked for $20, then came close and demanded money in a threatening tone, Horch said.
    Horch said the woman reached in the driver’s door of her car, grabbed her semiautomatic pistol and put it in her waistband.
    When the man approached again, “She lifted up her shirt and, after he saw the gun, he took off,” Horch said.
    Deputies arrived in only a couple of minutes and the suspect hadn’t got far, Horch said.
    The woman said “There he is” and deputies quickly took him into custody.
    Wilbur Haisley, 48, of Vancouver was jailed on suspicion of attempted second-degree robbery, Horch said.
    The woman’s young son “told us he was very scared,” Horch said.
    Live Free or Die!

Just another day in the 'couve....

I like hearing stories about how guns do good things.

Joe~

When seconds count...
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Deputies arrived in only a couple of minutes and the suspect hadn’t got far, Horch said.

Lol... yeeaaah Very true DC

maybe this would convince Izzy's to reconsider their "recommendation" about asking patrons to leave their sidearms in the car...

How could this be true? Everyone knows how ineffective a 9mm is.

Maybe the criminal was too dumb to tell the difference in bore-size between a 9mm and .45...
    (Says a 9mm packing OC'er...hahahaha)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    Maybe the criminal was too dumb to tell the difference in bore-size between a 9mm and .45...
    (Says a 9mm packing OC'er...hahahaha)
    Or was smart enough to know she could more rounds into him with a 9mm.
    Nahh.....she could have "brandished" any caliber and had the same result.

From past experiance a 9mm aimed at your face looks like a 10 ga, of course so does a 40 or 45 for that matter.

Hey, my beretta has feelings too. Kudos on her weapon of choice.
    I do applaud the woman for standing up for her rights and having one that was obviously needed at this time. Good story to make ya smile. Bad news for the perp, ermm, bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    maybe this would convince Izzy's to reconsider their "recommendation" about asking patrons to leave their sidearms in the car...
    If this is their recommendation then carry concealed for crying out loud, it is not illegal to do so in these circumstances.
    It is better to have it on your person then to leave it in the car any day.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    When she declined, the man asked for $20, then came close and demanded money in a threatening tone, Horch said.
    Horch said the woman reached in the driver’s door of her car, grabbed her semiautomatic pistol and put it in her waistband.
    Put it in her waistband? Hmmm... I just don't know if I would have done the same thing. He's already threatening and in the bubble.... Don't know that I'm going to add seconds to my response time...

Quote Originally Posted by jeangordon View Post
    Put it in her waistband? Hmmm... I just don't know if I would have done the same thing. He's already threatening and in the bubble.... Don't know that I'm going to add seconds to my response time...
    I was pondering her response as well. Mayhaps she felt she had that extra time ad didn't want to escale the encounter more. OC and this encounter is totally different, if non-existant. She played it cool, and came out alive. It's a win