• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Easy OC School Check using Google Earth

CrossEyedShooter

Opt-Out Members
I just took a look at Google Earth (I have version 5). It will mark schools on the map - even private schools that are listed as such. Go to the lower left (where it says layers), click the plus next to MORE, then click the plus (+) next to Place Categories, then click the checkbox for schools. Bam - all the schools are marked in an area.

That is great in 2 ways - A) you could plan an open-carry route, and B) printing and carrying your route map with schools listed - that would probably make it impossible to be convicted of a 626.9 offense, as that would be more than sufficient to prove you did not reasonably know a school was within about 0.2 miles or so.

Gundude

I just took a look at Google Earth (I have version 5). It will mark schools on the map - even private schools that are listed as such. Go to the lower left (where it says layers), click the plus next to MORE, then click the plus (+) next to Place Categories, then click the checkbox for schools. Bam - all the schools are marked in an area.

That is great in 2 ways - A) you could plan an open-carry route, and B) printing and carrying your route map with schools listed - that would probably make it impossible to be convicted of a 626.9 offense, as that would be more than sufficient to prove you did not reasonably know a school was within about 0.2 miles or so.

Were I you, I wouldn't rely on GE for up to date info. Some of their stuff is 4 yrs old. To be safe, I lock my weapon up when I'm driving. It's just not worth the risk.

There is an exemption in PC 626.9 about reasonably knowing if you are in a school zone. LEO's watch this site, so now they know you have mapped out some shool zones. Carrying a map with you would negate the exemption too. Be careful what you post here. The walls have ears.

EDIT: and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

studird 626.9 myself,,,think theseius!!

Were I you, I wouldn't rely on GE for up to date info. Some of their stuff is 4 yrs old. To be safe, I lock my weapon up when I'm driving. It's just not worth the risk.

There is an exemption in PC 626.9 about reasonably knowing if you are in a school zone. LEO's watch this site, so now they know you have mapped out some shool zones. Carrying a map with you would negate the exemption too. Be careful what you post here. The walls have ears.

EDIT: and welcome to the forum.

never have, or could understand, how mapping, to avoid school zones,
could be used against a guy, that tries to stay away..
as if the map, was to guide him to the places, he could VIOLATE on purpose!

i alway felt, having the Good info on schools to avoid,
would be an affirmitive defense, if somehow, you transgressed an unknown GFSZ..

re: thesius.... and the cops and DA that screwed him !!!!

Gundude

If I remember correctly, the judge wouldn't allow the jury instructions to include that exemption, and the private property exemption was tossed out too. Screwed, blued and tattooed. I lock up to avoid any possibility of ending up in court.

bwiese

The caveat about 'old data' or 'incomplete data' is a good caution. Free data is worth what you pay for it.

I will also add that on unclear boundaries (this esp applies on Fed BLM land vs, say CA park border regarding AWs, etc.) GPS can't always be relied upon. Depending on # of satellites in view, etc. internal calculation errors, etc. there can sometime be many dozens of yards off.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

ryanburbridge

:uhoh: Ok, guess that is my last post... sorry to bother y'all - peace & out

Did you mean last post on this topic or for good? Stick around lots of stuf to talk about. I have an iPhone and I have paid for three apps that I use every day to stay within the law. Schools don't just pop up over night 4 years is still good info on most areas.

What do you guys use to confirm GFSZs?