• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to conceal my Glock at Winco.

The Patriot

Last week I went to Winco on Andresen here in Van. WA to get some diapers and baby cereal for my daughter. I was oc'ing, I also have my cpl. I was in store for about 20 minutes, then night manager along with another employee asked me to cover my weapon. I stopped talking to wife on phone and informed her that WA state law allowes me to carry, and that I was not breaking any laws. I did cover so as not to cause a scene, she was nervous as it was. I am not a small guy at all and I was carrying, lol.

Next day I called and talked to Store Manager. (withholding his name) I let him know of situation that had happened and asked if it was a policy that is at this store or corporate. He apologized and said that they should not have done that. But he was not sure on policy. He asked for my ph # and said he would call me back with confirmation. No call that day, but he did call me the next day and informed me that Winco policy is that they want them left in vehicles. I have not informed him yet that this incident will be posted.

I think I handled it ok, I am new to oc and not totally comfortable with it yet. Just thought ya'll should know.

See ya at Esther Short on the 25th.

joejoejoe

Great job man. First time I OCed I got asked to not come back to the store! I called the corporate office and in about a week got a call from the gentleman who told me not to come back. He apologized and said I can come back and with my gun! I suggest you call Winco corporate or their customer service line. The manager may have been talking to his district manager or something. Also, as a new OCer, it is great to post your experiences here. It helps you get comfortable with OCing because you have tons of support behind ya!

Joe~

amlevin

Ask Winco what steps they take to make their parking lots safe. They want guns left in cars but people then have to walk to an from the store unarmed. The Winco in Marysville had a shooting in their parking lot not too long ago so I guess their parking lots are not all that safe.

As for the Marysville Winco, if you ever want to feel like a minority just shop there. At some hours you may be the only legal resident of this country in the store other than employees.

tat2ed_guy

Ask Winco what steps they take to make their parking lots safe. They want guns left in cars but people then have to walk to an from the store unarmed. The Winco in Marysville had a shooting in their parking lot not too long ago so I guess their parking lots are not all that safe.

As for the Marysville Winco, if you ever want to feel like a minority just shop there. At some hours you may be the only legal resident of this country in the store other than employees.

THATS AWSOME!!!! You shop there? IM NOT THE ONLY LEGAL ONE THERE!!! I guess if we are ever there at the same time it wont be hard to spot one another. Although my wife and 3 girls are Hispanic..lol

joeroket

If I didn't know any better I would think you were talking about the entire city of Marysville. :p

amlevin

If I didn't know any better I would think you were talking about the entire city of Marysville. :p

Now that you mention it.

I used to work in a retail establishment in Marysville that drew a lot of "non english speakers". They would come in in groups with one of them being the translator. The items we sold often needed name and address to track for warranty purposes. Funny how so many people could live at the same address. It seems that every family had at least one "legal" member. They would rent the apartment or house and then every brother, sister, cousin, in-law, or just friend would use the same address and phone number.

On the same not, it would appear that a lot of the "illegals" don't just work for companies and contractors "under the table", they also have their own businesses. Landscapers, "Mow-n-Blow" lawn services, auto repair, auto body, painting, etc. We all bitch about how these illegals aren't paying their Income, Social Security, and payroll taxes, yet drawing public services. How about those that are running their own unlicensed businesses and aren't collecting Sales Tax or paying their B&O taxes. They get the free ride that makes their business more competetive than a legit businessman's.

amzbrady

Great job man. First time I OCed I got asked to not come back to the store! I called the corporate office and in about a week got a call from the gentleman who told me not to come back. He apologized and said I can come back and with my gun! I suggest you call Winco corporate or their customer service line. The manager may have been talking to his district manager or something. Also, as a new OCer, it is great to post your experiences here. It helps you get comfortable with OCing because you have tons of support behind ya!

Joe~

By any chance did you get them to send you a copy of their policy so we have it in case anyone else has a negative contact.

I think Gunner has a place where he keeps some corporate policies posted. We need an easy access sticky to company policies.

amzbrady

While shopping at the Winco Foods in Richland, a worker came up and told me I should cover my firearm. I told him that I did not have my CPL with me and that covering it would be against the law. He said "oh", and walked away. I kept waiting for another contact to be asked to leave but no one else said anything. That was wierd. I still felt the need to be sure to be ready incase he approached me again. So I contacted them.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2010 12:27 AM
To: recept91
Subject: RE: WinCoFoods.com Online Feedback

Washington State is an Open Carry state RCW 9.41.270. There is no Id or CPL required. It is against the law to carry a firearm concealed without a Concealed Pistol License. If I am openly carrying in Winco Foods and do not have my CPL, and one of your management team ask's me to cover my weapon, they are asking me to commit a crime. Is it common policy at Winco Foods, to ask people to break the law?

---------------------------------------

No, we abide by all laws of the store we reside in.

Cathy D.
WinCo Foods
http://www.wincofoods.com

amzbrady

While shopping at the Winco Foods in Richland, a worker came up and told me I should cover my firearm. I told him that I did not have my CPL with me and that covering it would be against the law. He said "oh", and walked away. I kept waiting for another contact to be asked to leave but no one else said anything. That was wierd. I still felt the need to be sure to be ready incase he approached me again. So I contacted them.

Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2010 12:27 AM

Washington State is an Open Carry state RCW 9.41.270. There is no Id or CPL required. It is against the law to carry a firearm concealed without a Concealed Pistol License. If I am openly carrying in Winco Foods and do not have my CPL, and one of your management team ask's me to cover my weapon, they are asking me to commit a crime. Is it common policy at Winco Foods, to ask people to break the law?

---------------------------------------

No, we abide by all laws of the store we reside in.

Cathy D.
WinCo Foods

OOPS, It didnt all post. Here's the rest...

Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 5:52 PM

Cathy, You say that you abide by all laws of the store you reside in. Did you possibly mean that you abide by all state laws of the state that the store resides in? Is there a policy posted on your website or a copy of it that I can get.

-----------------------------------------------

Yes, we abide by all laws of the state the store resides in.

We are working on a statement, as of now, I don't have one to give.

Cathy D.
WinCo Foods