• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'No Firearms Allowed' sign at Walworth County Fair

paul@paul-fisher.com

My wife wanted to see Josh Turner so we went to the fair yesterday. Even though it is surrounded by 3 schools, it is private property and doesn't serve alcohol I was planning on popping my City of Elkhorn OC cherry. This would of also been the 1st time my wife 'allowed' me to OC in her presence. Imagine my surprise when at all the entrances there are signs saying 'No Firearms Allowed on Fair Property' at all entrances.

Not a happy camper!

I still went to alleviate possible marital discord.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
YEP. Just like we saw more-and-more discrimination against the free exercise of other civil rights. Then after lawsuits and legislative action those other minorities received protected status and cannot be discriminated against. Likewise, those who carry WILL get protected status and prohibiting carry WILL be illegal, it will take time, that is all.

In the mean time, we need to show these people/organizations do NOT support the US or WI constitutions. We need to point out this type of prejudice as what it is, prejudice, every time we see it.

M

McX

no guns allowed? how rude, apparently they want you to spend your money elsewhere. take the hint.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I sent this to the fair board:

I was surprised during the fair to see a sign at all entrances stating 'Firearms prohibited'. These seem to be new. When I was at the Walworth County Dairy Breakfast, I did not see them.

Why is this policy in place? Most other places of business allow carrying of firearms in accordance to state and local laws. You having these signs assure that the only armed people are criminals.

I would appreciate some feedback on this policy and would be willing to work with your board to adjust it.

People who legally open carry in accordance with WI law and both the Federal and State Constitution are well behaved and want to spend our money at the fair, however, your prohibition locks us out of the fair and doesn't allow us to enjoy the festivities.

Thanks!

Krusty

NO Firearms Sign at Goose Island

I spent Labor Day at Goose Island Campground just south of LaCrosse and when entering I saw a sign, "No Firearms". I already had the holster on but kept the gun in the case, except when walking around during the night.

When I checked out in the morning I dropped off 2 leaflets and asked about the sign and explained that it is TRULY LEGAL to carry. I was told the sign was intended for duck hunters. They were looking over the leaflets when I left and said they would refer them to someone higher up the ladder.

I found a no firearms clause in the County Parks rules, updated 12/09. Must be time to send off some mail.

http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/Departments/Facilities/Documents/ParkRules.pdf

On Sept 14 the following was received. This was one answer out of the two emails sent a full week before. This is LaCrosse county.

I have previously asked our County Corporation Counsel, William Shepherd, to investigate this issue. He has been researching the matter. I expect he will have a recommendation at some point in the near future. However, until such time as he reaches a conclusion our ordinance remains in effect and I would encourage you not to openly carry a firearm in any of our County parks.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Steve Doyle
County Board Chair

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Is the Walworth County Fair grounds for sure private property or is it owned by the county? If it is county property then the prohibition, as the sign reads, is in my opinion unconstitutional. State statutes do not restrict firearm possession on public property, only within the buildings. That in itself may make a contest a bitter/sweat victory. Never the less the fair board should be made aware of the fact. Then again, if it is public property, you run afoul of the nefarious GFSZ. What a convoluted mess the Wisconsin firearm statutes are.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Is the Walworth County Fair grounds for sure private property or is it owned by the county? If it is county property then the prohibition, as the sign reads, is in my opinion unconstitutional. State statutes do not restrict firearm possession on public property, only within the buildings. That in itself may make a contest a bitter/sweat victory. Never the less the fair board should be made aware of the fact. Then again, if it is public property, you run afoul of the nefarious GFSZ. What a convoluted mess the Wisconsin firearm statutes are.

I have verified with several places including the Sheriff of Walworth County, David Graves, that it is private property. As you said, if it wasn't, OC would NOT be allowed since it is surrounded by 3 schools.

Krusty

Reply from County Board Chairman

On Sept 14 the following was received. This was one answer out of the two emails sent a full week before. This is LaCrosse county.

I have previously asked our County Corporation Counsel, William Shepherd, to investigate this issue. He has been researching the matter. I expect he will have a recommendation at some point in the near future. However, until such time as he reaches a conclusion our ordinance remains in effect and I would encourage you not to openly carry a firearm in any of our County parks.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Steve Doyle
County Board Chair