Thread: Gibson's Grill in Richmond - now prominently posted in neon as anti-gun at front door

Gibson's Grill in Richmond - now prominently posted in neon as anti-gun at front door

I work near Gibson's Grill (on 7th and Broad, across from the Federal Courthouse and next to The Natiuonal Theatre). I've open carried there before, and have seen other open carriers there several times, such as after Lobby Day when maybe 15 of us were there without incident. I also know the (very nice) manager.

A little less than 2 weeks ago they added a neon sign to the front door in all caps saying NO WEAPONS!.

Not sure why. Very annoying. I haven't been there since. Haven't had a chance yet to ask the manager about it (been traveling). Like I wrote, she is great personally so I just want to calmly explain why they have lost my business and why I think the sign is foolish and unproductive to boot. I will do so within the next week, although it probably was posted by the owner and not the manager.

Thoughts? Anyone else want to join me in writing/calling/emailing to express concern?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    I work near Gibson's Grill (on 7th and Broad, across from the Federal Courthouse and next to The Natiuonal Theatre). I've open carried there before, and have seen other open carriers there several times, such as after Lobby Day when maybe 15 of us were there without incident. I also know the (very nice) manager.

A little less than 2 weeks ago they added a neon sign to the front door in all caps saying NO WEAPONS!.

Not sure why. Very annoying. I haven't been there since. Haven't had a chance yet to ask the manager about it (been traveling). Like I wrote, she is great personally so I just want to calmly explain why they have lost my business and why I think the sign is foolish and unproductive to boot. I will do so within the next week, although it probably was posted by the owner and not the manager.

Thoughts? Anyone else want to join me in writing/calling/emailing to express concern?
    I'll send them a postcard.. can ya snap a photo of the sign and post it?

Postcard Sent

Founder's Club Member
    Too bad to hear about this. The wife and I ate at Gibson's for lunch at Lobby Day 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. May have to send out something.

Ed, I really LOVE your "postcards"! You ROCK, Brother!

P.S. I'll be sending you a SASE for some cards and a check to help defray the cost. Thanks for all you do!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

I really wonder why they don't just put up a sign that says "No Robberies" instead. Anyone ever ask that question? Seems more to the point.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I really wonder why they don't just put up a sign that says "No Robberies" instead. Anyone ever ask that question? Seems more to the point.

TFred

LOL. I actually did ask someone this question once. The response I got was priceless: "That would be stupid."
    Last edited by buster81; 09-06-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by buster81 View Post
    LOL. I actually did ask someone this question once. They response I got was priceless: "That would be stupid."
    Yeah... that seems like a good strategy... let them slowly connect the dots in their own brain...

"So what makes a 'No Guns' sign any smarter?"

TFred

There ya'll go, looking for common sense...

By "neon sign" I thought you meant one of the neon signs ala the "open" signs you commonly see. I was gonna go take a picture for Ed, but I'm too late for his postcard... but I still wanted to see that type of neon sign saying no guns. I thought it would be some sort of display of "yes we take it that seriously." But it was just a bright/neon colored sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    By "neon sign" I thought you meant one of the neon signs ala the "open" signs you commonly see. I was gonna go take a picture for Ed, but I'm too late for his postcard... but I still wanted to see that type of neon sign saying no guns. I thought it would be some sort of display of "yes we take it that seriously." But it was just a bright/neon colored sign.
    I thought that too.. lol.. Either way.. I think they will KNOW what I am talking about. I would guess their postcard arrives tomorrow or Thursday.

Carry on.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Thanks Curtis!
    You saved me a trip.