• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone live in Des Moines?

deanf

Des Moines has signs posted at the marina indicating that possession of firearms is prohibited in Des Moines Parks. Specifically in the North Lot on the temporary chain link fence.

DMMC 19.08, CITY PARK USE REGULATIONS, is actually legally correct, in that it only prohibits discharge of firearms.

I'm not in a position to deal with The City on this issue. Is there someone else who would like to take it on?

Leatherneck

Not sure where to start

I live up the hill from the marina. I went there for the 4th of July. They had a security check point with a sign prohibiting firearms, but I still OCd.

Anyway, I bet if I wanted to take it on there would be PLENTY of people on this forum who could tell me where to start.

Right? Right??
:)

Leatherneck

Found it!

Drove down this morning and found the signs. They look temporary due to construction. Temporary or not, they are wrong.

I sent the city manager an email last night asking for details on the city council meeting. Next meeting is this Thursday, but I need to know what time and where they meet.
If I can take care of this via email or phone, even better. Got some good advice from Joejoejoe, so we'll see how far I have to take it to get things done.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 113
  • sign&me.jpg
    sign&me.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 113

DEROS72

I live in Seatac and GoGodawgs and I drove down there a week ago and photo'ed the same signs.I'll go to a council meeting if need be.See what e-mail response you get and I'll e-mail them as well.

Leatherneck

Thanks for bringing this to our attention deanf. I heard about a discrepancy in Des Moines not long ago, but I thought it was just a misreading of the municipal code.

Another small update-
I emailed the city chair about the issue. I referenced RCW 9.41.290 and the judgment in Chan vs City of Seattle. I also made myself available to help with removal of the old and installation of the new signs.
I'll let ya'll know what I hear.

amzbrady

Wow, I should really pay more attention. We were down there about a month and a half ago, and walked the pier. I didnt see anything there. I noticed the old resturaunt is closed and the bait shop is gone. Unless I just missed em.

Aaron1124

Wow, I should really pay more attention. We were down there about a month and a half ago, and walked the pier. I didnt see anything there. I noticed the old resturaunt is closed and the bait shop is gone. Unless I just missed em.

Bait shop? Are you talking about the Quartermaster store? That store closed up over 10 years ago. LOL

Aaron1124

He lives in the U-District. It's best (and easier because of location) if a city resident addresses the issue.

Gotcha. I sent an email to the city council regarding the issue. Haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe I'll contact the city attorney, if I don't hear back from them by the end of the week.

Leatherneck

It is finished... hopefully

Since I hadn't received any emails back, I emailed the mayor today.

This evening I drove down to the marina to check it out. Low and behold!!! The signs are all down! I drove through the entire marina area to be sure. Yep, they're all gone.

Rack another one up for cities following state law!
HOORAY!

*Time to write "thank you"/ follow up emails.

deanf

Thanks again guys. It's nice when the child respects and obeys the parent, and doesn't talk back.

I don't work for the city government, but I work for government in the city, and that limits what action I can directly take.

Aaron1124

Since I hadn't received any emails back, I emailed the mayor today.

This evening I drove down to the marina to check it out. Low and behold!!! The signs are all down! I drove through the entire marina area to be sure. Yep, they're all gone.

Rack another one up for cities following state law!
HOORAY!

*Time to write "thank you"/ follow up emails.

Right on man! That's great news! It certainly makes a difference when multiple people address the issue. If it were just one of us, they might have blown it off, but with 5+ (maybe even more) people directly addressing the city, they probably knew it was in their best interest to take action. That's great to hear!

On a side note, I never received a response back from any of them either. I ended up contacting multiple parties after I posted yesterday.

Leatherneck

A response from the city

I sent a 'thank you for taking action' email to the mayor and to the council chair, Melissa Musser. Here is the response I just got back from her.

Rich,
Thank you for your email. To be honest, I'm just good at forwarding emails to the right people.
Thanks for care, consideration and attention to our city.
Take Care,
Melissa

Leatherneck

say it isn't so!

Looks like this one needs revision.

9.36.030 Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, it is unlawful for a person, on or in a premises in the city where alcoholic beverages are dispensed by the drink to:
(a) Carry a firearm, rifle or handgun, whether the person has a license or permit to carry a firearm or not, and whether the firearm is concealed or not;

9.36.040 Firearms prohibited – Additional places – Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to enter the following places when the person knowingly possesses or knowingly has under the person’s control a firearm:
(a) The council chambers of the Des Moines city council; or
(b) The courtroom of the Des Moines municipal court.

I was down at city hall yesterday (after they were closed unfortunately) and the metal detector is at the entry. The courthouse and council chambers share the same entry. I'll have to check it out during business hours.

GreatWhiteLlama

If that's the case...

Looks like this one needs revision.

9.36.030 Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, it is unlawful for a person, on or in a premises in the city where alcoholic beverages are dispensed by the drink to:
(a) Carry a firearm, rifle or handgun, whether the person has a license or permit to carry a firearm or not, and whether the firearm is concealed or not;

9.36.040 Firearms prohibited – Additional places – Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to enter the following places when the person knowingly possesses or knowingly has under the person’s control a firearm:
(a) The council chambers of the Des Moines city council; or
(b) The courtroom of the Des Moines municipal court.

I was down at city hall yesterday (after they were closed unfortunately) and the metal detector is at the entry. The courthouse and council chambers share the same entry. I'll have to check it out during business hours.

...9.36.040 may not actually be in violation.

But yes, 9.36.030 is clearly more restrictive then state law.

Good job guys. It appears they are at least receptive to correcting their codes. Lets see if this holds true.