• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone live in Des Moines?

Leatherneck

State law says firearms are prohibited where minors are prohibited.
9.36.030 says anywhere they sell alcohol by the drink. That means I can't carry in Red Robin or the likes.

Another email has been sent. I'll keep ya'll up to date.
In case there is anyone else here who can vote on DM council members, her name is Melissa Musser. She seems very cordial and helpful.
:)

Last edited:

Leatherneck

Here's where we stand...

Here are a couple excerpts from the last email I received from Ms. Musser.

"Rich,
Your timing is actually pretty close to perfect. It's been a goal of council this year to review the municpal code and make changes where appropriate."

"Finally, as a member of the Economic Development committee, we often discuss code as part of our committee work. I'll bring it forward in committee for additional clarification.
Thank you again for your email,
Melissa"

Sounds like progress!

Leatherneck

Light at the end of the tunnel... maybe a LONG tunnel though.

Here is the email I received this morning...

Rich,
Councilmember Musser forwarded your e-mail about the DMMC. Thank you for sharing those concerns, we are always pleased when citizens are involved and take the time to contact us. The City is aware of the specific issues you raise and our legal department has those as well as many, many others on their list for rewrites. Unfortunately, due to limited staff, it may take us awhile to get to all the updates. Please rest assured that we do not enforce those provisions that are pre-empted by state or federal law.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Lorri Ericson

Assistant City Manager
City of Des Moines

Aaron1124

Here is the email I received this morning...

Rich,
Councilmember Musser forwarded your e-mail about the DMMC. Thank you for sharing those concerns, we are always pleased when citizens are involved and take the time to contact us. The City is aware of the specific issues you raise and our legal department has those as well as many, many others on their list for rewrites. Unfortunately, due to limited staff, it may take us awhile to get to all the updates. Please rest assured that we do not enforce those provisions that are pre-empted by state or federal law.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Lorri Ericson

Assistant City Manager
City of Des Moines

Well I sure hope that they don't enforce the illegal laws. Glad to hear it's been brought to the proper party's attention though. Good work man.