• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Times spreading myth of "machine guns" in Washington

44Brent

3 Seattle police officers fire at, wound man in West Seattle
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012806120_shooting04m.html

Acting Deputy Police Chief Nick Metz said a man who had been described as suicidal pointed an AK-47 at police officers, three officers fired and the man was hit.

The man was taken to Harborview Medical Center and was listed in stable condition as of 7 a.m. Saturday, according to police. The man's has not been released.

According to Metz, who said his information was preliminary and subject to change, a 911 call came in to police at about 8:45 p.m. from a woman who reported that she had been talking with a female relative on the telephone when she heard a shot fired, after which the line went dead.

The woman told police she called back and a man answered. Metz said she told police the man made suicidal threats and then the phone again went dead.

Officers responded to the address in the 6100 block of Southwest Admiral Way and surrounded the house, Metz said. A man came out the back of the house holding an assault rifle. Metz said he appeared to raise the gun toward police, at which point the three officers fired.

What other countries in the world allow such easy access to assault rifles? Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan...

According to my friend who is ex-US Army paratrooper, the AK-47 is a fully automatic weapon. It is my understanding that this is one of the most powerful guns ever made. It will literally cut a man to ribbons.

It's a sad state of affairs when anyone can walk in, plunk down there cash, and by a fully automatic weapon such as this. No wonder Gil Kerlikowske was so adamant about getting these assault weapons banned.

Nobody but a cop risks failing in his duty if he doesn't go toward another American citizen, someone he's never seen before in his life, who happens to be holding an assault rifle that has just been fired an unknown number of times to uncertain effect.

There is a huge difference between shooting unresponsive cripple holding a knife at a distance (who has not committed a crime) and man pointing an assault rifle at officers after a 911 call.

Dude was pointing a machine gun at the police officers.He bought what he was paying for.Thankfully nobody else,including the police was injured.Well done,Seattle PD.

I moved from Seattle ten years ago to another country and, while it's true that no place is perfect, the level of violence occurring in your city is clearly out of control.

amlevin

It's not the Seattle Times exactly that is spreading this it is their misinformed readers that comment without any knowlege of what constitutes an Assault Rifle.

What do you expect from Seattle Times readers? For that matter what do you expect from the majority of people in Seattle? Anyone that would vote for a bike riding dufus like McGinn isn't really expected to be very bright, are they?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Amazing Ignorance

It amazes me the perception and ignorance of people concerning the AK. I have an AK which is obviously defective, it only shoots in a semi-automatic mode and hasn't cut anybody to ribbons. Also I understand the guy was hit once, and that three LEO's shot about a dozen rounds. Sounds like somebody need a little more range time?

sudden valley gunner

It amazes me the perception and ignorance of people concerning the AK. I have an AK which is obviously defective, it only shoots in a semi-automatic mode and hasn't cut anybody to ribbons. Also I understand the guy was hit once, and that three LEO's shot about a dozen rounds. Sounds like somebody need a little more range time?

Citizens with firearms are way better shots...
...those dozens of assault weapons the cops had didn't cut the man to ribbons?
...This guy just wanted attention, if he was going to kill himself he would have done it.

unknownsailor

To the media, if it looks like an AK, it is. Research into technicalities hasn't been a strong suit with reporters in a very long time. Doesn't help the narrative, you see.
And of course the readers, being of like mind (since most anyone who isn't of like mind has canceled their subscription), don't even think to question what they read.

k.rollin

Ignorant viewers, readers, and listeners of sensationalist media reports and the 'journalists' that report stories like these with erroneous details and a lack of fact checking only serve to foster the fear, hate, and misunderstanding of firearms. It is our responsibility as responsible gun owners to educate those who are otherwise unwilling to know the truth for themselves.

159078.JPG

Contrarian

misleading IDs

On previous stories like this I have commented on the obvious poor wording used - to no avail.
The comment section will sometimes agree with me via the 'thumbs up/down' thing, but there are
commentators whom I call 'aggressively ignorant'.

KBCraig

It's not the Seattle Times exactly that is spreading this it is their misinformed readers that comment without any knowlege of what constitutes an Assault Rifle.

What do you expect from Seattle Times readers?
I'm reminded of an historian I heard on the Bob Edwards show (XMPR) this past week, talking about how the Tea Party rallies inaccurately portray early American history, particularly the original Boston Tea Party and similar events leading up to the Revolution.

As an academician and historian, she was simply horrified at the American public's lack of education.

Excuse me, professor? Where did the American public gain this misunderstanding, except from academicians and historians?

So, in Seattle, the public responds with ignorant comments to a mainstream media article; the same MSM that has spent decades stirring up hysteria through misinformation and outright lies about "scary guns".