• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jimmy John's Sandwich Shop Firearms Policy

o2ryan

Well, maybe not their official policy, but they certainly don't discriminate based on this sign in their shops...

Note the line about offering your seat to others.:p

24liv48.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted_User

Oh that is grand. I will be visiting the one in Tacoma OC then for sure. The signs in that place are priceless.

country.hacker

OC'd at the Spokane JJ's on Wednesday, didn't see if they had one of these signs, but didn't have anybody say anything while I was inside. One guy in the parking lot asked if I was a bounty hunter, I happened to be putting my two girls in their car seats at the time, and replied "Nope, just have a family to protect". He seemed to appreciate that.

Mech

Hm...although I realize the sign is mostly meant as a joke, I did get irritated (a tiny bit, like the size of an electron big) about what they said about yielding seats to men with gun...to me that means they want patrons to actively seek out those with guns and yield seats to them, ie. special treatment, which I feel like isn't something we're promoting here; I personally don't want special treatment because I'm OC'ing; in fact I'm trying to promote the idea that I'm the same as everyone else in the room :p

That said, I'll definitely have to pay a trip to that restaurant at some point while OC'ing :p

devildoc5

Do you wear your hear in a "mullet", carry a fire extinguisher sized can of OC spray, dress in black with about 30 lbs. of chains? If so, maybe he just mistook you for "Dog".

And the button up sihrt that is never buttoned up! Dont forget that part.

While I disagree with the sign from the same aspect of a previous poster about "preferential treatment" I do like it as it seems to point out that there is a policy of "tolerance" so to speak when it comes to firearms. (plus when one of those overzealous managers tries to trespass you it seems it would be pretty easy to walk them to the sign and have them read it!)

country.hacker

Haha, I think I was about as far from the 'Dog' image as possible, t-shirt and clean non-ripped up jeans, Converse hi-tops, short(ish) hair, buckling two <4 year old girls into a mini-van.

It does bring up an interesting point about how the common public views us as open carriers, and is one of the reasons I carry. The more we can 'normalize' carrying, and the more comfortable people are with it, the more support we can get against the hardcore 'anti' people.

amlevin

Haha, I think I was about as far from the 'Dog' image as possible, t-shirt and clean non-ripped up jeans, Converse hi-tops, short(ish) hair, buckling two <4 year old girls into a mini-van.

It does bring up an interesting point about how the common public views us as open carriers, and is one of the reasons I carry. The more we can 'normalize' carrying, and the more comfortable people are with it, the more support we can get against the hardcore 'anti' people.

This is a point I have been "preaching" for many years. The general public doesn't have anything to evaluate a person on other than their appearance and behavior. The first to be noticed is usually appearance, followed by behavior, speech, and actions. It is recognized that we are a society of individuals and everyone is free to express themselves through dress and speech.

One factor to consider while "being an individual and expressing yourself" is the fact that some behavior, appearance, and speech can cause (that's cause, not warrant) concern. Wen you go out in public trying to emulate your favorite movie action figure or "pop culture" star, you may trigger an alarm in some. Not all people meeting someone who shaves their head, sports tattoos, piercings, etc. will think first of the nice mild mannered individual you are, they often think first of the character who has popularized this style of dress on the TV or Movie screen and the persona they play. It's a natural reaction. Speech is also a measure that the public uses to gauge one's character. If you walk down the street having a loud, spirited conversation, with your friends and your vocabulary is limited to four-letter words or popular slang then again, that's another "measure" that society uses to size one up.

Add to all the above a firearm and SOME people get real uneasy. Not that people who are described above are anything other than nice, well mannered, productive citizens, the average person seeing them for the first time have no other means of deciding to get to know them or "head the other way".

By no means do I condemn anyone who dresses or expresses themselves in an individual manner. I merely want to point out that sometimes they may meet adverse reactions. Something to consider, especially when open carrying. It isn't always the gun that alarms people, it is the total package.