• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member from Neenah

skorittnig

Hi guys and gals,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I am very interested in open carry, and hopefully seeing concealed carry in our great state. I would like to become more proactive in making this happen--any ideas??? I have open carried in my neighborhood a couple times in the evening while walking the dog, but never to any business establishment---I would like to open carry when conducting business, a little help with the sequence of legally gunning up/down would be very helpful. I have the Utah CCW permit- which I realize is useless in WI at this time :-(

I hope to attend an open carry picnic at the end of the month, and I look forward to meeting as many other OC'ers as possible.

Thanks for reading, and God Bless!

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned
Welcome skoritnign... skrionting...errr... skornitig.... ah crap. Just welcome then. lol

Take a look at what Wisconsin Carry Inc. is doing to promote OC and work towards CC. Undoubtedly one of the board members will be along soon to welcome you and point you in a good direction.

B

bhancock

Welcome fellow Freedom Fighter. Glad to have you with us. Carry On.

Deek

Nice to see more people in the Fox Valley doing the OC thing..... I was beginning to think i by myself around here. Welcome to the group and beware of the schools, theres a lot of them in thee neenah-menasha area

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
May the OP and Deek could discuss this off line and then report back to us with a date and time for a meet. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, doesn't matter.

Also not trying to dictate or hijack, just suggesting.....

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
a little help with the sequence of legally gunning up/down would be very helpful.

First, welcome!

In Wisconsin you must transport your firearm unloaded in a case.

Here is a link to the Wisconsin DOT website where you can confirm this:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/statepatrol/enforcement/faqs-enforcement.htm

What is the legal method of carrying a weapon in my vehicle in Wisconsin?

With the weapon cased and unloaded. Applies to firearms and bow hunting equipment.

I drive a truck, I transport my firearm on the passenger seat of the truck unloaded. (note, the magazines CAN be loaded as long as they aren't in the gun. You can't have one in the chamber either. So if you are carrying a revolver, you can have the round in the same case, they just can't be in the tube. With a semi auto, you can have the loaded mags in the same case, just not in the gun (and nothing in the chamber)

When I get where I'm going I grab the closed case off the passenger seat and exit the vehicle. Standing outside the vehicle (usually in the doorway with the door open and shielding me from view of others) I discreetly set the case on the drivers seat, open it, take the gun out, load it, and insert it in the holster. I leave the case open on the drivers seat (so that a thief looking in the vehicle would see its empty) and go on my way.

When I return, I open the door, unholster, unload, set the gun in the case, drop the rounds in the case, close the case and go.

An alternative to this method (because some people contend that by the literal interpretation of the statutes, you can't set the gun in the case when the case is in or on the vehicle) is to hold the case in your hand while you open it with the other, then with take the gun out of the case and put it in your holster, then take the ammunition out of the case, THEN set the case down, THEN unholster and load your gun (or if you are carrying a semi auto, you can probably insert the magazine without unholstering your gun. This alternative removes any possibility of someone being able to say you put your gun in or on the vehicle.

You'll quickly find out that Wisconsin's gun laws are a mess. If you read them literally, along with case-law, you'll find plenty of room for debate.

You must decide for yourself what you are comfortable with as far as how to satisfy whatever your interpretation of the statutes is.

Hopefully you'll soon be in the practice of open-carrying as you go about your daily business.

I believe that is the single most efficacious thing a person can do to advance the cause in Wisconsin. Be an ambassador of freedom by carrying and letting the general public know that "good guys carry guns too".

As for Wisconsin Carry. you need not be a member for us to help. If there is every anything we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. Most of the people I have contact me that need help aren't members. We are 100% volunteer, but we do what we can.

J.Gleason

Banned
Welcome to the forum. Whether you choose to become a member of WCI or not, please do sign the petition located on the WCI website.

Also check out the video sticky to watch videos and help answer any questions you may have for LEO encounters.

Carry ON and Constitutional Carry Always!

Last edited:

skorittnig

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the pointers!

If anyone is interested in getting together as a small group on a regular basis, I'd be up for it. I've seen some discussion on other threads for a regular meet-up in Green Bay- however, the thread is evolving and I can't tell if it will be a one time event or a regular group.

Irregardless, I think the Fox Cities needs to have some sort of a regular group meeting place. I have not seen anyone OC in this area- I think it would help our cause.

Thanks

J.Gleason

Banned
Thanks for the warm welcome, and the pointers!

If anyone is interested in getting together as a small group on a regular basis, I'd be up for it. I've seen some discussion on other threads for a regular meet-up in Green Bay- however, the thread is evolving and I can't tell if it will be a one time event or a regular group.

Irregardless, I think the Fox Cities needs to have some sort of a regular group meeting place. I have not seen anyone OC in this area- I think it would help our cause.

Thanks

The problem is it is getting more and more evident that if members do not show up at these events then they are basically chastised in the forum every time they post. That shouldn't be. Some people can make it to the events and others help out in other ways. All is appreciated.

I think it would be a great idea if say WCI had county Chapters and each chapter would be responsible for organizing within their county. Just a thought.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I think it would be a great idea if say WCI had county Chapters and each chapter would be responsible for organizing within their county. Just a thought.

I think part of the problem is that people don't just pull the trigger. What I mean is that if you want to setup a meet, just do it!

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The problem is it is getting more and more evident that if members do not show up at these events then they are basically chastised in the forum every time they post.

I don't think that is true. I also think that in fairness, new people to the forum will take their own perspective on what goes on here and make their own conclusions without the need to bias them with our individual prejudices.

I don't think anyone should feel obligated to show up to anything. I would never chastise someone for not attending an event.

I DO think that if people meet face to face they will be FAR less likely to treat the forum and the internet like a boxing ring and there will be a higher level or respect.

That has been my observation. NOT that anyone "needs" to attend an event to justify anything. Just that online internet forums tend to be more respectful if you put some reality into it.

Because we are incorporated the officers and board members of the corporation can be held personally liable for the actions of the corporation. For this reason, until we reach a critical mass where we can afford liability insurance, the things WCI will do "officially" have to be tightly controlled and decisions made carefully.

No offense to anyone here, I don't want to turn people loose all over the state and say "hey do what you want" knowing that if they have an event and 'something' doesn't go right, my livelihood or any of the other officers/board members livelihood is at risk if someone decides to sue.

WCI is all volunteer. There is absolutely nothing stopping people from, in their own counties, organizing get togethers. You don't need a corporation to get groups of people together. I say this in the most humble way: Do not ask WCI to do for you, that which you could do yourself. We are all volunteer.

There are things we organized as a corporation because that legal entity/structure was needed to accomplish things. (filing lawsuits, funding lawsuits, etc) There are many other things that don't require a corporate backing, but that people can and should be willing to do themselves.

Having said that, if people DO organize get-togethers and they want to utilize the network WCI has to get the word out, we are happy to pass along that information to our network/members etc as a courtesy.

Also check out the video sticky to watch videos and help answer any questions you may have for LEO encounters.

+1 Those video's should be a must watch for everyone

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Then the chapter-burgomeisters could function like the lower of a bicameral legislature, the BoD the upper house, calm and deliberative, and the executive could run the administration. Who'll be the judge? Then the US government will be perfectly mirrored through a convexing mirror.

Spartacus

Banned
Then the chapter-burgomeisters could function like the lower of a bicameral legislature, the BoD the upper house, calm and deliberative, and the executive could run the administration. Who'll be the judge? Then the US government will be perfectly mirrored through a convexing mirror.

And we can't even get through an intro thread without you crapping it up...