Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: I should have been carrying!

  1. #1
    Regular Member sirtirithon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Spokane, ,
    Posts
    55

    I should have been carrying!

    Well I was in a situation where I wish I'd been carrying, either concealed or open. I was involved in a car accident Thursday evening. I was crossing a north south arterial at a stop sign and a guy in a mercedes was doing about fifty headed south down the road and I miscalculated his speed never assuming a vehicle would be going that speed down a residential street (my mistake). Well he clipped the rear of my vehicle just as I finished crossing the road. I uttered the usual curses as I pulled over to exchange information. I quickly exited my vehicle and went over to make sure he was ok. I was met by several loud and obscene phrases and then he exited his vehicle violently and rushed over to me and threatened to punch me etc. I tried to calm him down but he refused and continued to yell threats and he was shaking with rage. I felt I could fairly easily defend myself if he did attack me but my fear was if he pulled a weapon. I was unarmed because I had just left work where I am not allowed to carry because of school grounds. I insisted that the cops be called and proceeded to do so........... meanwhile a witness showed up and took me aside saying he saw how fast the mercedes was going and he gave me his name and number. Well the police showed up after I argued with the 911 operator for a good five minutes. Seems they don't dispatch an officer unless someone is injured, traffic is being blocked, or you are being threatened. Long story short, I was ticketed for failure to yield although the officer was on my side and thought the guy was a complete moron. I'm going to court to contest the ticket due to his speeding and the fact I have a witness. Anyways, goes to show you never know when you will wish you had your gun on you.. better to be safe than sorry. My situation could have been a lot worse.
    Sorry about no paragraphs I'm typing on a cell.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Do you have a CPL? Do you work for a school district? If you do then what is the board policy on firearms?

    If you do not work for the district and have a CPL you can keep it locked in your car.

    If you do work for one then, depending on board policy, you may be able to leave it locked in your car providing you have a CPL.
    Last edited by joeroket; 09-05-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  3. #3
    Regular Member HK_dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    144
    traffic lawyer.

  4. #4
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    You'll more likely than not still have to pay the "failure to yield" ticket fine. Where his speed will be a factor is with the insurance companies or in any civil suit that may arise. He was a contributor to the accident because of his speed and damages will be apportioned according to whatever the insurance companies or jury decide.

    In the end, like it or not, he still had the right fo way.

    Maybe the only justice here would have been if you were armed and he pulled a weapon in his rage. You could shoot him then and get satisfaction for his hitting your car at the same time.

  5. #5
    Regular Member joejoejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    321
    A: Keep your gun locked in your car on school grounds
    B: How do you yield to that? I think you have a good argument
    C: Did he get a speeding ticket?

    Joe~

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Definately contest the ticket.

    Go to this forum and learn how to get discovery. Post your discovery and info on this webiste and they will help you beat your ticket. Just ask me.
    Live Free or Die!

  7. #7
    Regular Member Squeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard,
    Posts
    827
    My son was involved in a similar situation. Bottom line; you have no proof of how fast he was going, which doesn't matter - you broke the law. From reading your post, it is probably a good thing you didn't have your weapon. But, that's just me.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    snip......
    Maybe the only justice here would have been if you were armed and he pulled a weapon in his rage. You could shoot him then and get satisfaction for his hitting your car at the same time.
    Definitely ranks low on my chart for a good reply.

    We do NOT promote, wish for nor desire to cause harm to another.

    Point of fact, most here will go to great extremes to avoid such.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Definitely ranks low on my chart for a good reply.

    We do NOT promote, wish for nor desire to cause harm to another.

    Point of fact, most here will go to great extremes to avoid such.
    When you say "WE", unfortunately, I don't think you can vouch for everyone on this site..

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    snip.......
    Maybe the only justice here would have been if you were armed and he pulled a weapon in his rage. You could shoot him then and get satisfaction for his hitting your car at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Definitely ranks low on my chart for a good reply.

    We do NOT promote, wish for nor desire to cause harm to another.

    Point of fact, most here will go to great extremes to avoid such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    When you say "WE", unfortunately, I don't think you can vouch for everyone on this site..
    By no means was I attempting to "vouch" for the conduct or words of others.

    I was, however, plainly pointing out what is preferred and acceptable on OCDO - do you doubt it is so?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    By no means was I attempting to "vouch" for the conduct or words of others.

    I was, however, plainly pointing out what is preferred and acceptable on OCDO - do you doubt it is so?
    Certainly not. I was under the impression that you were speaking for all members of the forum as a whole, and judging from some of the posts I've seen (and I'm sure that you've seen), I do have my doubts that every member will agree with that.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    By no means was I attempting to "vouch" for the conduct or words of others.

    I was, however, plainly pointing out what is preferred and acceptable on OCDO - do you doubt it is so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Certainly not. I was under the impression that you were speaking for all members of the forum as a whole, and judging from some of the posts I've seen (and I'm sure that you've seen), I do have my doubts that every member will agree with that.
    I hardly have the right or privilege to speak for others, but will freely share my observations for whatever value may be perceived.

    I suspect strongly that a vast majority of the posters here would concur that escalating a situation and/or bringing harm to another would both be less than desirable - especially if avoidable.

    "All members of the forum" brings to mind the herding of cats image and even John and Mike have found that to be a tiresome exercise.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-05-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: correction
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    <more snip>
    I agree with neither of you, nor "everyone" on the forum.

    Live Free or Die!

  14. #14
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I hardly have the right or privilege to speak for others, but will freely share my observations for whatever value may be perceived.

    I suspect strongly that a vast majority of the posters here would concur that escalating a situation and/or bringing harm to another would both be less than desirable - especially if avoidable.
    "All members of the forum" brings to mind the herding of cats image and even John and Mike have found that to be a tiresome exercise.
    As do I. Perhaps I underestimated the ability of some to see the "tongue-in-cheek" nature of my post. My bad! Perhaps next time I will include a "Legal Disclaimer" and large BLOCK LETTERS stating that "THE FOLLOWING IS MEANT TO BE HUMOROUS.

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I hardly have the right or privilege to speak for others, but will freely share my observations for whatever value may be perceived.

    I suspect strongly that a vast majority of the posters here would concur that escalating a situation and/or bringing harm to another would both be less than desirable - especially if avoidable.

    "All members of the forum" brings to mind the herding of cats image and even John and Mike have found that to be a tiresome exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    As do I. Perhaps I underestimated the ability of some to see the "tongue-in-cheek" nature of my post. My bad! Perhaps next time I will include a "Legal Disclaimer" and large BLOCK LETTERS stating that "THE FOLLOWING IS MEANT TO BE HUMOROUS.
    Aah so - that is where we use smilies to denote humor or the oft' used <sarcasm off> to clue the clueless - self-intended point
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Lammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_dave View Post
    traffic lawyer.
    John Clark or maybe Doug Phelps.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Montana, USA
    Posts
    23
    Dosen't matter how fast he was going,you pulled in front of him.
    Your fault.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubb View Post
    Dosen't matter how fast he was going,you pulled in front of him.
    Your fault.
    Your statement is not true.

    If he was going 120mph and clipped the driver would you still feel the same?

    I suggest my prior link, seek discovery and contest the ticket.
    Live Free or Die!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    167

    similar situation

    ...a few years back. The main lesson I took from it was:
    1) No casualty/injury & estimated damage under $500 does not require a police report. Exchange insurance information and let the agencies deal with it. Do not apologize, do not admit fault.
    2) If the police are called, someone WILL receive a citation - the insurance agencies will use that to determine fault.
    3) Keep a disposable camera and 100 ft tape measure in the trunk of your vehicle. Spray paint too (for marking key points on the road like skid marks or tire position when vehicles come to rest).

  20. #20
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Aah so - that is where we use smilies to denote humor or the oft' used <sarcasm off> to clue the clueless - self-intended point
    I agree, the smiley's can really help to get your point across, and define a serious or humorous post.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  21. #21
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by amzbrady View Post
    I agree, the smiley's can really help to get your point across, and define a serious or humorous post.
    Winter's comming and you need a bigger smiley. Here, take this one


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •