• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I should have been carrying!

sirtirithon

Well I was in a situation where I wish I'd been carrying, either concealed or open. I was involved in a car accident Thursday evening. I was crossing a north south arterial at a stop sign and a guy in a mercedes was doing about fifty headed south down the road and I miscalculated his speed never assuming a vehicle would be going that speed down a residential street (my mistake). Well he clipped the rear of my vehicle just as I finished crossing the road. I uttered the usual curses as I pulled over to exchange information. I quickly exited my vehicle and went over to make sure he was ok. I was met by several loud and obscene phrases and then he exited his vehicle violently and rushed over to me and threatened to punch me etc. I tried to calm him down but he refused and continued to yell threats and he was shaking with rage. I felt I could fairly easily defend myself if he did attack me but my fear was if he pulled a weapon. I was unarmed because I had just left work where I am not allowed to carry because of school grounds. I insisted that the cops be called and proceeded to do so........... meanwhile a witness showed up and took me aside saying he saw how fast the mercedes was going and he gave me his name and number. Well the police showed up after I argued with the 911 operator for a good five minutes. Seems they don't dispatch an officer unless someone is injured, traffic is being blocked, or you are being threatened. Long story short, I was ticketed for failure to yield although the officer was on my side and thought the guy was a complete moron. I'm going to court to contest the ticket due to his speeding and the fact I have a witness. Anyways, goes to show you never know when you will wish you had your gun on you.. better to be safe than sorry. My situation could have been a lot worse.
Sorry about no paragraphs I'm typing on a cell.

joeroket

Do you have a CPL? Do you work for a school district? If you do then what is the board policy on firearms?

If you do not work for the district and have a CPL you can keep it locked in your car.

If you do work for one then, depending on board policy, you may be able to leave it locked in your car providing you have a CPL.

Last edited:

amlevin

You'll more likely than not still have to pay the "failure to yield" ticket fine. Where his speed will be a factor is with the insurance companies or in any civil suit that may arise. He was a contributor to the accident because of his speed and damages will be apportioned according to whatever the insurance companies or jury decide.

In the end, like it or not, he still had the right fo way.

Maybe the only justice here would have been if you were armed and he pulled a weapon in his rage. You could shoot him then and get satisfaction for his hitting your car at the same time.

joejoejoe

A: Keep your gun locked in your car on school grounds
B: How do you yield to that? I think you have a good argument
C: Did he get a speeding ticket?

Joe~

Squeak

My son was involved in a similar situation. Bottom line; you have no proof of how fast he was going, which doesn't matter - you broke the law. From reading your post, it is probably a good thing you didn't have your weapon. But, that's just me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip......
Maybe the only justice here would have been if you were armed and he pulled a weapon in his rage. You could shoot him then and get satisfaction for his hitting your car at the same time.

Definitely ranks low on my chart for a good reply.
icon13.png

We do NOT promote, wish for nor desire to cause harm to another.

Point of fact, most here will go to great extremes to avoid such.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip.......

Definitely ranks low on my chart for a good reply.
icon13.png

We do NOT promote, wish for nor desire to cause harm to another.

Point of fact, most here will go to great extremes to avoid such.

When you say "WE", unfortunately, I don't think you can vouch for everyone on this site..

By no means was I attempting to "vouch" for the conduct or words of others.

I was, however, plainly pointing out what is preferred and acceptable on OCDO - do you doubt it is so?

Aaron1124

I was, however, plainly pointing out what is preferred and acceptable on OCDO - do you doubt it is so?

Certainly not. I was under the impression that you were speaking for all members of the forum as a whole, and judging from some of the posts I've seen (and I'm sure that you've seen), I do have my doubts that every member will agree with that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Certainly not. I was under the impression that you were speaking for all members of the forum as a whole, and judging from some of the posts I've seen (and I'm sure that you've seen), I do have my doubts that every member will agree with that.

I hardly have the right or privilege to speak for others, but will freely share my observations for whatever value may be perceived.

I suspect strongly that a vast majority of the posters here would concur that escalating a situation and/or bringing harm to another would both be less than desirable - especially if avoidable.

"All members of the forum" brings to mind the herding of cats image :lol: and even John and Mike have found that to be a tiresome exercise.

Last edited:

amlevin

I hardly have the right or privilege to speak for others, but will freely share my observations for whatever value may be perceived.

I suspect strongly that a vast majority of the posters here would concur that escalating a situation and/or bringing harm to another would both be less than desirable - especially if avoidable.
"All members of the forum" brings to mind the herding of cats image :lol: and even John and Mike have found that to be a tiresome exercise.

As do I. Perhaps I underestimated the ability of some to see the "tongue-in-cheek" nature of my post. My bad! Perhaps next time I will include a "Legal Disclaimer" and large BLOCK LETTERS stating that "THE FOLLOWING IS MEANT TO BE HUMOROUS.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

As do I. Perhaps I underestimated the ability of some to see the "tongue-in-cheek" nature of my post. My bad! Perhaps next time I will include a "Legal Disclaimer" and large BLOCK LETTERS stating that "THE FOLLOWING IS MEANT TO BE HUMOROUS.

Aah so - that is where we use smilies to denote humor or the oft' used <sarcasm off> to clue the clueless - self-intended point
icon4.png

tony d tiger

similar situation

...a few years back. The main lesson I took from it was:
1) No casualty/injury & estimated damage under $500 does not require a police report. Exchange insurance information and let the agencies deal with it. Do not apologize, do not admit fault.
2) If the police are called, someone WILL receive a citation - the insurance agencies will use that to determine fault.
3) Keep a disposable camera and 100 ft tape measure in the trunk of your vehicle. Spray paint too (for marking key points on the road like skid marks or tire position when vehicles come to rest).