Thread: Sauk Prairie PD is OC friendly

Sauk Prairie PD is OC friendly

Took a trip home today to the Sauk Prairie Cow Chip throw. (Yay.) Didn't OC because it's literally *ON* one of the grade school grounds or at the park immediately adjacent to grade school.

Anyway, while there I saw the Police Chief but didn't get a chance to talk to him. Unfortunate, since he's an old friend from when I played softball, but either he was busy or I was. On our way out I ran into another officer who's a friend from softball also (come to think of it, I think I'm friends with about half the force back there) and I talked to him about open carry.

I asked him what the SPPD's policy was regarding Open Carry. He seemed generally encouraging, but more importantly, said that their official policy is that they "don't mess with Open Carry unless the person doing it is breaking the law." (And yes, that's pretty much an exact quote.) I asked him what that meant and he said it meant going one of the places that OC isn't permitted - bars, schools, any business that posts it's not allowed, etc.

He also said that they worked with the Sauk County DA and the local businesses to let the local business know that 1, OC is legal, and 2, if they don't want it, they can post it's not allowed at their store. All in all, he seemed on the positive side of neutral towards OC. Though, to be fair, that could have been because he knows me personally and wouldn't have a problem with me doing it as a known commodity.

Personally, I was impressed that they went the extra step to let businesses know it's legal *before* they had any problems. Less thrilled that they told them they could post it wasn't allowed, but I can see how they probably needed to do that for full disclosure and all. That's their (the business) right, but then it's our right to shop elsewhere.

On a tangent, Craig Culver (founder of Culvers) is from Sauk, so that's a nice tie in with Culver's being alright with OC.

Police departments can only have "policies" that follow the law. Some of them may like to think they are above the law and decide which Constitutional right they will allow to be exercised. That type of thinking however is likely to cost their bosses (taxpayers) a lot of money. Since open carry is lawful in Wisconsin border to border, that is the "policy" for every police department in the state.

I totally get that. I guess all I meant was it's refreshing to see this attitude rather than the attitude of the Fort Atkinson police chief or the Milwaukee police chief.

Nice job, one conversation at a time will make a huge difference in the long run. Slow and steady we will win the race.
    Carry on.