• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregonian open carry critic blooger open carries for experiment - nobody alarmed!

Lord Sega

Correction

Portland has restriction to loaded open carry, you can un-loaded open carry if the firearm is un-loaded and the magazine is empty. (I know, that last part bothers me also). Note: with a CHL you can loaded OC or CC in Portland, but expect to be stopped and checked since LEOs would need to verify you are un-loaded or CHL holder.

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places.
(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.
(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:
1. A police officer or other duly appointed peace officers, whether active or honorably retired.
2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
5. A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.
6. A person summoned by a police officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while such person is actually engaged in assisting the officer.
7. A merchant who possesses or is engaged in lawfully transporting unloaded firearms as merchandise.
8. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
9. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or their members when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.
10. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.
11. Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges.
12. Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.
13. A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to possess a loaded firearm, clip, or magazine in a public place in the City of Portland.
14. A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.

D. It is unlawful for any person who possesses a firearm, clip or magazine in or upon a public place, or while in a vehicle in a public place, to refuse to permit a police officer to inspect that firearm after the police officer has identified him or herself as a police officer. This Section does not apply to law enforcement officers or members of the military in the performance of official duties, nor persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun or persons authorized to possess a loaded firearm, clip or magazine while in or on a public building or court facility.

Last edited:

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
Ok. I'll bite. Why was it illegal?

With a permit you can carry a loaded firearm in Portland. Without a permit, you can carry an unloaded firearm.

---
Ah. Lord Sega. I wanted him to tell me why it was illegal.
PS. It's a magazine. :)

Last edited: